Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Honestly the best part of Hawkeye comics is watching the two bicker. If they do it on game it will justify them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm looking forward to a What Happun'd for this and seeing how it was the result of a good single player game being forced to have GAAS crap added to it because someone high up in the food chain demanded it as a new revenue stream.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ant-Man is literally in the game and there was never any mention of making him playable. Cmon.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

Ant-Man is literally in the game and there was never any mention of making him playable. Cmon.

There is specifically mention of him not being playable in the dialogue about AIM doing something to his physiology that if he changes size ever again, :rip:.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

and there's even a size change mechanic for enemies lol

although they reset for takedowns so you can have the exact animations you paid for

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

cvnvcnv posted:

There is specifically mention of him not being playable in the dialogue about AIM doing something to his physiology that if he changes size ever again, :rip:.

Yet Kamala changes sizes and I'm sure the intent was "We already got one person that shifts sizes, don't want to duplicate that. Now, add in the two Hawkeyes."

This game baffles me on so many levels, like you have a sure fire thing of making money and they just dump on it, with literally zero effort, but make it LOOK LIKE really good no effort. There's maybe five people working on this right now, and Square Enix will just turn around to say "Welp, we don't know the Western market, let's keep pumping out anime games."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Masonity posted:

Can they hurry up and make it f2p? I want to play though the story but can't justify more than about a tenner...

That's probably about the right price point for it, honestly. It's a pretty horrible game at it's core, but if you just want to see dumb Avengers story for what I would non-derisively call "fanboy content" for lack of a better term you'll get your $10 worth. Probably.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I'm looking forward to a What Happun'd for this and seeing how it was the result of a good single player game being forced to have GAAS crap added to it because someone high up in the food chain demanded it as a new revenue stream.

That's almost certainly what did happen. Somewhere along the road this was meant to be a solo game with maybe lite co-op mechanics, then it was changed to be a mostly co-op/MMO game but they salvaged the single-player sections that were already made.

Also let's all remember that Square-Enix were so certain this game would be a giant success, they moved Crystal Dynamics into a brand-new studio in 2017, with all the trimmings:

quote:

“After months of planning, building, and some very late nights for the construction crew, we’ve just moved into our glorious new state-of-the-art studio!” revealed Scot Amos, co-studio head of Crystal Dynamics. “We have some great new amenities, from hydraulic desks for everyone to adjust as they like, to black-out shades and light absorption paint for those darkness-loving developers.”

In addition to fine-tuning the environment to ensure everyone is working at their best, the new studio has added more offices and team conference rooms, as well as a dedicated “dailies” review room outfitted with the latest and greatest gear.

“We’ve expanded to six fully equipped sound proof audio rooms too,” continued Amos. “With the growth of our team, we’ve also increased our studio meeting area and naturally outfitted it with tons of next-gen 4K screens, as well as dedicated console and PC gaming stations next to the huge new kitchen. Lastly, we’ve added two specialty rooms for optimal development efficiency: a photogrammetry capture space and our very own, on-site, fully equipped Motion Capture stage!

Umpire Weekend
Apr 10, 2006

I backed my car into a cop car the other day
Well he just drove off sometimes life's OK

ErrEff posted:

That's almost certainly what did happen. Somewhere along the road this was meant to be a solo game with maybe lite co-op mechanics, then it was changed to be a mostly co-op/MMO game but they salvaged the single-player sections that were already made.

Also let's all remember that Square-Enix were so certain this game would be a giant success, they moved Crystal Dynamics into a brand-new studio in 2017, with all the trimmings:
It is pretty funny that they'll do this speculatively purely on the basis of 'we've got this IP, this game is guaranteed to be a huge hit!' but not for the actual successful and well regarded live service game that they have in FFXIV. Probably says something about why this game was a huge failure, since they apparently thought success was already achieved and they didn't have to make the actual game appealing in any way beyond having all your favourite superpeople included in it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ErrEff posted:

Hopefully they'll get them off this trash fire and get them to work on a new Tomb Raider game with their swank new digs. Haha, I'm sure that's likely! :smith:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ErrEff posted:

Yikes, that is some arrogance right there.

And this kind of poo poo has never worked outside of FTP stuff, and even then its a small percentage of the playerbase that whales that will spend the money, so why do people keep thinking that no, they'll be the ones that will make people buy an $90 game and spend money afterwards.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Seems like a simple fix. Execute all the staff of Crystal Dynamics for their failure and give the swanky new offices to the FFXIV team.

Oh and have YoshiP add Spider-Man to FFXIV as a PlayStation exclusive.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Umpire Weekend posted:

since they apparently thought success was already achieved and they didn't have to make the actual game appealing in any way beyond having all your favourite superpeople included in it
Do note this being par for the course has been a decades long tradition in the industry, and good big license games tend to be outliers like Arkham Asylum or Spiderman, or even accidents. Like, one of the most beloved Marvel games with a long-lived community, Marvel vs Capcom 2, is basically the hugest, cheapest asset flip that just happens to be stellar, under specific circumstances and by no deliberate intention of its creators.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Unfortunately, I think the same fate will befall Gotham Knights as well.

It is absolutely baffling that WB interactive somehow had a perfect blueprint in Arkham Knight and did nothing whatsoever with that engine for years. I would've gladly paid for some B-rate studio to crank out another Good-not-great Arkham Origins or whatever.

I'd love to know what happened there, too.

Also a good reminder at how great Insomniac is at what they do. They've got one of the highest employee retention rates in the industry among AAA studios (really, only Nintendo beats them) and explicitly limit Crunch time.

Important to note that Insomniac asked for more time on Spider-Man multiple times, and Sony somehow gave them that approval again and again. The result clearly paid off (just look at how many units Miles Morales is selling)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Marvel’s Avengers Game getting one more big content update integrated into every single mission in the game: the Batmobile.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Given the strength of the IP, it's almost impressive how many places the game had to fail, to go down like this.

Release a competent fun 10 hour single player campaign. Then make it an exercise in pure frustration with game stopping bugs. Check.

Release Destiny like looter, with coop missions. Then make matchmaking impossible and include even more game stopping bugs including the ability to brick your whole save game. Check.

Release an online storefront for a built in fanbase that loves spending money on their muscle bound waifus. Then make it outside the game itself, unless you go to one in game vendor who doesn't even link to the store front proper. Like WTF devs I couldn't even spend the money if I wanted to. Check.

I sometimes wonder what the outcome for this game might have been, if they just had server side matchmaking, saves, and 50% the bugs at launch. The game itself really isn't that bad. Combat is fun and even though everyone shits on the loot and rpg elements, I don't think those systems are a death sentence or even that bad really.

I guess I'm such an abused spouse at this point, I just still wish CD wakes up a better developer that puts the game update out that heals my broken heart.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Marvel’s Avengers Game getting one more big content update integrated into every single mission in the game: the Batmobile.

in typical Gaasvengers fashion it will be nobody's favourite batmobile, the one from Batman Forever

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

GarudaPrime posted:

Given the strength of the IP, it's almost impressive how many places the game had to fail, to go down like this.

Release a competent fun 10 hour single player campaign. Then make it an exercise in pure frustration with game stopping bugs. Check.

Release Destiny like looter, with coop missions. Then make matchmaking impossible and include even more game stopping bugs including the ability to brick your whole save game. Check.

Release an online storefront for a built in fanbase that loves spending money on their muscle bound waifus. Then make it outside the game itself, unless you go to one in game vendor who doesn't even link to the store front proper. Like WTF devs I couldn't even spend the money if I wanted to. Check.

I sometimes wonder what the outcome for this game might have been, if they just had server side matchmaking, saves, and 50% the bugs at launch. The game itself really isn't that bad. Combat is fun and even though everyone shits on the loot and rpg elements, I don't think those systems are a death sentence or even that bad really.

I guess I'm such an abused spouse at this point, I just still wish CD wakes up a better developer that puts the game update out that heals my broken heart.

The fact this game is dead, and majority of people all over the internet are walking away, FROM A MARVEL IP, this quickly, is all we need to know. So sad.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

This is obviously a much better choice than adding even 1 new enemy that doesn't work for AIM

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Chev posted:

Like, one of the most beloved Marvel games with a long-lived community, Marvel vs Capcom 2, is basically the hugest, cheapest asset flip that just happens to be stellar, under specific circumstances and by no deliberate intention of its creators.

I'm pretty sure MvC2 wasn't just accidentally really fun dude.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They put out another statement about the levelling changes to try and clarify what they meant and it managed to say nothing and also make it sound somehow even worse?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-08-marvels-avengers-developer-seeks-to-better-explain-reasons-for-increased-xp-grind

My favourite quote is this one in a statement that's trying to make this sound good. "After the XP changes are applied, players are designed to level up every "2-4 missions" when at higher levels, as opposed to "once or twice per mission" currently".

I must admit this game is my guilty pleasure in some small way, I stopped playing it a week after it came out but I still follow news about it for some reason and I really am curious what the development must have looked like, what's driving the decisions right now, why they chose two Hawkeyes as the first two additional characters, etc.

Like that decision could be justified in a game with a larger roster maybe or one with more of a focus on dialogue and story so the distinctions between Kate Bishop and Clint are starker whereas in this they seem like they're both "bow users who are also martial artists in a game with Black Widow already" but as it is you're just left baffled that they picked them when they supposedly had free reign to pick whoever they wanted.

Same with the villains, it's a game where they want you to fight bosses again and again like dungeons in WoW or rifts in Diablo, soooo they have Taskmaster and Abomination and some big boring robots and call it good? Why not have the Wrecking Crew, Crossbones and some lower level tech villains as mooks that show up occasionally. Or some mini MODOK clones to reuse some of those animations, etc?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Everything about the game is a fuckin mess. I jumped in to play a little bit of Kate Bishop and even trying to start the correct mission is a chore.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

thebardyspoon posted:

Same with the villains, it's a game where they want you to fight bosses again and again like dungeons in WoW or rifts in Diablo, soooo they have Taskmaster and Abomination and some big boring robots and call it good? Why not have the Wrecking Crew, Crossbones and some lower level tech villains as mooks that show up occasionally. Or some mini MODOK clones to reuse some of those animations, etc?
There's dozens of different MODO[X], including ones created from clones of various heroes. AIM also had a PMC that dosed the soldiers with gamma rays which caused them to Hulk out (see: reusable animation).

There's plenty of options to mix things up, but I don't think they're interested in doing that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

thebardyspoon posted:

I must admit this game is my guilty pleasure in some small way, I stopped playing it a week after it came out but I still follow news about it for some reason and I really am curious what the development must have looked like, what's driving the decisions right now, why they chose two Hawkeyes as the first two additional characters, etc.

Like that decision could be justified in a game with a larger roster maybe or one with more of a focus on dialogue and story so the distinctions between Kate Bishop and Clint are starker whereas in this they seem like they're both "bow users who are also martial artists in a game with Black Widow already" but as it is you're just left baffled that they picked them when they supposedly had free reign to pick whoever they wanted.

It feels like they were expecting to release new heroes like every month or maybe two but COVID/The game being a disaster and having support pulled made that impossible so we're left with two Hawkeyes and maybe Spider Man later

Orv
May 4, 2011
I do have to wonder how much Chadwick Boseman's death did anything to that. Presumably Black Panther was mid-production and planned as the first release when that happened and I wouldn't be surprised if they never intended to release the co-op reskins of heroes back to back and they're just hosed now on scheduling those. It doesn't excuse the immense series of fuckups they keep making on the design side but that all seems like a pretty safe guess for what happened and woof. Not fun to deal with.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Giving players 'too many skill points too early' is not the reason the game sucks and nobody is buying this dumb excuse, holy gently caress.

CD is having major issues supporting the game in almost every other way so tweaking some XP gain/level up variables is clearly the EASIEST method they have for changing anything and they're desperately trying to stall for time.

Dressing it up as "we care about the new player experience" is dishonest as gently caress.

Eurogamer posted:

After the XP changes are applied, players are designed to level up every "2-4 missions" when at higher levels, as opposed to "once or twice per mission" currently. At the same time, lower levels will be acquired a little faster.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But see these deck chairs we shifted around? These are meaningful changes! They’re different!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Increasing XP to level is the move you make right before you flip the switch to F2P and let the game rot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They're clearly trying to get these changes in before this launches on new consoles. They're probably anticipating a big spike in sales there which.... lol.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I imagine they had analytics that said people came back for Kate, played a week to get her to 50 and finish the story, then quit. They're probably expecting people will do the same for oval office Barton.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Orv posted:

I do have to wonder how much Chadwick Boseman's death did anything to that. Presumably Black Panther was mid-production and planned as the first release when that happened and I wouldn't be surprised if they never intended to release the co-op reskins of heroes back to back and they're just hosed now on scheduling those. It doesn't excuse the immense series of fuckups they keep making on the design side but that all seems like a pretty safe guess for what happened and woof. Not fun to deal with.

I thought Kate was announced before Boseman's death. Adding Hawkeye as one of the first hero's makes sense considering the MCU focus, and if the game was fun and good and the release schedule was every month or two I don't think people would have been that upset. But well here we are.

Also I like how the XP changes only take place after level 25, so they are concerned people are getting skills to fast so decide to slow them down after they already have half of them. XP was already way too slow, if they had cut in in half I *might* have considered reinstalling, but well here we are.

Looks like my timeline was a bit off, Hawkeye was announced as the first post launch hero back in July, then they went with Kate based I think on the story line.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/07/29/hawkeye-is-the-first-post-launch-hero-for-marvels-avengers

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

IMO having two hawkeyes is the least of this game's problems, at least among my circle of friends interest dropped like a rock after finishing the game (or not!), no one was even interested enough to grind out the launch Avengers.

The hawkeyes are actually two of the characters I'd most be interested in playing, it's just that the game had such a janky foundation that I really have no desire to revisit it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Fried Sushi posted:

Hawkeye was announced as the first post launch hero back in July, then they went with Kate based I think on the story line.

For all the lambasting over two Hawkeye up top, not wholly undeserved on a particular level, it is intellectually disingenuous to the fact that despite the dumbass nature of the game it is still one deeply driven and concerned with narrative and Kate --> Clint makes perfect sense, especially given the initial list of proposed dlc characters. Cut that list off at the knees, as is likely the case now, Kate leading directly into Clint is solidified as being truly good and right as far as story.

More, it makes total sense for both Crystal Dynamics and us. Go back to the long list of proposed dlc characters, I don't think anyone is disputing there's an opposite side of the coin character in the inital roster ie War Machine indubitably being of the Iron Man kit, I think everyone expects Black Panther to be of Captain America, Spider-Man of Black Widow, on down the line. If there are truly two similar-yet-different for each character and skill build, introducing a wholly new one first is smart as it expands on what is already there and if that's all there will be ever or just for a time as far as new and unique build kits go, why not go ahead and make the first duplicate the one for the first DLC, the newest and freshest character and kit, one which went over terrifically with fans and critics both when she released? Introduce a cool character, introduce the duplicate kit scenario, push the work they have finished out the door, and be done with that particular kit so they can narrow down their focus and pound out the remaining ones still hanging onto the docket. Another way to ask this, what character would have been better to be our first duplicate and why? I simply cannot conceive of any scenario preferable to double Hawkeye for any reason beyond subjective preference.

It's me, the guy who will advocate for this gorgeous though relentlessly hideous devil.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

cvnvcnv posted:

For all the lambasting over two Hawkeye up top, not wholly undeserved on a particular level, it is intellectually disingenuous to the fact that despite the dumbass nature of the game it is still one deeply driven and concerned with narrative and Kate --> Clint makes perfect sense, especially given the initial list of proposed dlc characters. Cut that list off at the knees, as is likely the case now, Kate leading directly into Clint is solidified as being truly good and right as far as story.

More, it makes total sense for both Crystal Dynamics and us. Go back to the long list of proposed dlc characters, I don't think anyone is disputing there's an opposite side of the coin character in the inital roster ie War Machine indubitably being of the Iron Man kit, I think everyone expects Black Panther to be of Captain America, Spider-Man of Black Widow, on down the line. If there are truly two similar-yet-different for each character and skill build, introducing a wholly new one first is smart as it expands on what is already there and if that's all there will be ever or just for a time as far as new and unique build kits go, why not go ahead and make the first duplicate the one for the first DLC, the newest and freshest character and kit, one which went over terrifically with fans and critics both when she released? Introduce a cool character, introduce the duplicate kit scenario, push the work they have finished out the door, and be done with that particular kit so they can narrow down their focus and pound out the remaining ones still hanging onto the docket. Another way to ask this, what character would have been better to be our first duplicate and why? I simply cannot conceive of any scenario preferable to double Hawkeye for any reason beyond subjective preference.

It's me, the guy who will advocate for this gorgeous though relentlessly hideous devil.

The big problem about two Hawkeyes, is that one of them ain't in the movies.

That's pretty much it, I know who the other Hawkeye is, most of us here do, but there are people who watch the marvel movies and haven't read a comic book for decades if ever, they haven't got a clue who she is.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RagnarokZ posted:

The big problem about two Hawkeyes, is that one of them ain't in the movies.

That's pretty much it, I know who the other Hawkeye is, most of us here do, but there are people who watch the marvel movies and haven't read a comic book for decades if ever, they haven't got a clue who she is.

She's going to be in a Disney plus series later this year. Also most people didn't know Ms. Marvel either, but the game did a fine job of introducing her.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I’m just amazed after the EA Battlefront II debacle Disney heard the pitch for the GaaS part of this game and said, “yeah do that”.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orv posted:

Weird that they would cancel a black character in favor of two white ones given that none of the characters in the GAASAvengers are portrayed by their MCU counterparts. Given the way the rest of the Avengers were casted I would have expected Phil LaMarr or something. While Boseman's death was sad I don't really see why it would cause them to cancel BP as a character unless they were using his likeness.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

cvnvcnv posted:

What the heck is this post?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Doctor Nutt posted:

While Boseman's death was sad I don't really see why it would cause them to cancel BP as a character unless they were using his likeness.

Cancelation in a vacuum would be stupid but a pointed delay holds to a certain logic as I'm aware some Black Panther collectibles had their long scheduled releases dates paused on simply for not wanting to put out any sense of profiting off death, everyone certain the social media mobs would just f up their s for it. If, however, CD were looking to cut characters and Boseman's death came across their desk at that pivotal moment, well, maybe they could justify canceling him that way.

Moola posted:

What the heck is this post?

:nexus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I look forward to know what the 1 - 2 years out road map was once we start hearing the post-mortems.