Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope the Spidey content is good. The only reason I play the game is for the story stuff. I wish they'd be able to release that a little faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

AccountSupervisor posted:

Who gives a gently caress? Its not like this thread exists for any reason other than a bunch of miserable people to take potshots at a video game they dont even play for lulz.

God forbid someone might actually want to talk about the game in a positive manner in the thread for talking about the game. gently caress me, right?

There's no game to talk about is the thing. The campaign was a solid beat em up experience and then ???

The Wakanda expansion was five more enemy types in the same dead end grind that already existed.

Honest to God if they actually fix that and add a reason to be doing the raids and hives I'd be interested because I think the base gameplay is decently fun but there's nothing to do with it right now

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 6, 2021

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope the Spidey content is good. The only reason I play the game is for the story stuff. I wish they'd be able to release that a little faster.

I assume it'll be pretty minimal story wise since it sounds like its woven around past events and I think is mostly structured like a beefed up version of the "Iconic Mission Chains." They said they had to do it in a way that wouldn't mess with how the narrative plays out on other platforms.

It blows its an exclusive, I still hope that if the game moves past 2022 content theyd drop the exclusivity.

I at least dont think he will be a Widow reskin, some of the devs in the discord have discussed a bit about their approach to his combat and traversal(in very vague NDA terms) and theyre very very aware of peoples worries and the pressure from the shadow of Insomniacs work.

Dan Matleck(works on traversal and other core systems) and Alex Kende(works on loot and progression) came in after launch and have made a lot of leeway basically getting CD to accept they needed massive overhauls. Spider-Man and the raid and all the new gear and loot overhauls coming on the 30th is the first update thats pretty much been primarily work theyve done.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

It blows its an exclusive, I still hope that if the game moves past 2022 content theyd drop the exclusivity.
Doesn't Sony's death-grip on the Spider-Man license mean that all Crystal Dynamics devs can do is try to convince Sony to relent for a one-off?

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
Keep diggin that hole buddy. It's way more entertaining than anything outside the first 5-10 hours of this game.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Orv posted:

There's no game to talk about is the thing. The campaign was a solid beat em up experience and then ???

The Wakanda expansion was five more enemy types in the same dead end grind that already existed.

Honest to God if they actually fix that and add a reason to be doing the raids and hives I'd be interested because I think the base gameplay is decently fun but there's nothing to do with it right now

I dont know, I have plenty to talk about with plenty of other people in other communities. Reddit and here are just unrelentingaly negative about this game and while I get there are plenty of gripes to have, its exhausting, unconstructive and hyperbolic. If you want the game to crash and burn, thats...weird and childish, but whatever. You do you.

Im still enjoying checking in a few days of the week and doing the weeklies and running OLT and other missions that drop exotics on my different maxed heroes to work on different builds. Its nice when they bring back older events that I didnt have a chance to take max advantage of with exotic rolls since I didnt have a lot of maxed characters. I like chasing fun and efficient builds.

I just managed to finish putting together a really good Thor build that melts, I landed some good gear that really pushed it in a fun direction, its satisfying as hell to play with and it balances well with my groups builds. Im now going back to another of my maxed heroes to grind for some exotic set pieces I dont have with some perks Im looking for.

I now have enough of a library of exotics and legendaries to go into the Harm Room and experiment with how certain loot stacks and builds off each other. Seeing how certain buffs from perks affect damage output vs base stats. Seeing how I can stack Major Artifact buffs with loot specific perks and different skills from the Specialty and Mastery skill trees. Typical minmaxing nerdy looter rpg bullshit so I can have a good time mowing through the higher difficulty challenges until they add the next one.

Chortles posted:

Doesn't Sony's death-grip on the Spider-Man license mean that all Crystal Dynamics devs can do is try to convince Sony to relent for a one-off?

Nobody knows. Nintendo managed it with MUA3 on Switch so its not impossible. SE and CD arent them though.

Ougher posted:

Keep diggin that hole buddy. It's way more entertaining than anything outside the first 5-10 hours of this game.

This is a very weird thing to say to someone for liking something. Super healthy mentality.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

This is a very weird thing to say to someone for liking something. Super healthy mentality.

Yes laughter is quite healthy. :)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Chortles posted:

CD already cashed the check for perma-exclusivity. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but its not so much Sony's death grip that's stopping them but that they already took the money up front for it. It was another cash-in like the 5Gum deals and the Verizon skins and so forth. They would presumably have to pay an unreasonable sum at this point to get Sony to back off it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's not entirely clear how much of Sony's leveraging of the Spider-Man IP now as opposed to when MUA3 released is literally their decision or just the influence they can exert through their agreement with Marvel Entertainment over the usage of the film rights, but for what it's worth, pretty much everyone involved in this agreement has said that it's Sony's call and the choice was either that he was on Playstation or he was on nothing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sony does not own Spider-Man video game rights. They only have rights to the films. Everything else is Marvel.

Most likely is Sony paid some cash for the exclusivity because of the Insomniac games. Our they flat out paid to put him in the game but only for their console.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm kind of excited to play this game after sitting on my $20 copy for most of the year. I'll just blaze my way through the story content, and work my way to Spider-Man. Hopefully the changes coming along with him will make things a little less painful.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Sony does not own Spider-Man video game rights. They only have rights to the films. Everything else is Marvel.

Most likely is Sony paid some cash for the exclusivity because of the Insomniac games. Our they flat out paid to put him in the game but only for their console.

I think this is more likely. He wouldn't be in if Sony didn't pay s bunch of money. It lines up with why he isn't in yet-he wasn't on their original dev timeline.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I dont know, I have plenty to talk about with plenty of other people in other communities. Reddit and here are just unrelentingaly negative about this game and while I get there are plenty of gripes to have, its exhausting, unconstructive and hyperbolic. If you want the game to crash and burn, thats...weird and childish, but whatever. You do you.

Im still enjoying checking in a few days of the week and doing the weeklies and running OLT and other missions that drop exotics on my different maxed heroes to work on different builds. Its nice when they bring back older events that I didnt have a chance to take max advantage of with exotic rolls since I didnt have a lot of maxed characters. I like chasing fun and efficient builds.

I just managed to finish putting together a really good Thor build that melts, I landed some good gear that really pushed it in a fun direction, its satisfying as hell to play with and it balances well with my groups builds. Im now going back to another of my maxed heroes to grind for some exotic set pieces I dont have with some perks Im looking for.

I now have enough of a library of exotics and legendaries to go into the Harm Room and experiment with how certain loot stacks and builds off each other. Seeing how certain buffs from perks affect damage output vs base stats. Seeing how I can stack Major Artifact buffs with loot specific perks and different skills from the Specialty and Mastery skill trees. Typical minmaxing nerdy looter rpg bullshit so I can have a good time mowing through the higher difficulty challenges until they add the next one.

Nobody knows. Nintendo managed it with MUA3 on Switch so its not impossible. SE and CD arent them though.

Log off

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is love the game to make a turn around but I just don’t think the core gameplay is good enough to sustain a community like Destiny did.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Is love the game to make a turn around but I just don’t think the core gameplay is good enough to sustain a community like Destiny did.

hell I'd settle for it not running like absolute dogshit STILL

sometimes I think about reinstalling to punch some robots as cap, but then I remember it is a poorly optimized mess on PC

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Am I excited to play as Spider-Man? Yes. Do I think the proposed changes sound good? Oh yeah. Do I think this will save the game? No. I really doubt this game will ever comeback like Destiny or FF 14. It just lacks that special something that those two have.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the avengers' newest member says...

my question every time a game "reworks" something is always "game design wise, what do you know now that informs this new system? if this is better than what you shipped, why didn't you ship this instead?"

and before anyone says "deadlines," there has to be some kinda iterative testing process during game development.

I'm in non-game software engineering, and we don't start building something until we're sure our customers are gonna like it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Every time I see someone have the sentiment of "ff14 did a come back! This game can too!" I lol and then lmao because the person clearly doesn't understand that situation was the stars all aligning and a miracle happening

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The main problems I have with playing this game boiled down to 3 things, 2 of which haven't really been addressed.

1) There's just not much to do after the campaign/Wakanda/Hawkeye missions---there are so little actual unique missions and things to do, I think maybe a dozen you just repeat over and over? And worse, only like 3 or 4 supervillains, which were Guy With Gun for half of them. It's nuts we waited this long for Crossbones and Klaw. Drop some weirdos like Graviton and the Wrecking Crew in there ffs.

2) AI teammates on your team in single player not getting even half-XP, necessitating the arduous process of individually playing all the characters to fully unlock their great potential and movesets/modifiers. It was and still is an artificial way to draw out playing the already small list of missions.

3) This one is on me for buying it on base PS4 but this game runs at like 20fps. I bought it on PS4 thinking I'd eventually port it over to PS5 but well, getting a PS5 is harder than originally thought, so for now the game mostly chugs along like it's about to die.

Putting in Spider-Man is cool and all but the amount of content is still middling and the bizarre, unexciting loot system is still getting tinkered with in a way that reminds me of Destiny 1/2's continuous push-and-pull with redoing the entire economy multiple times.

Marvel Heroes, god rest its soul, understood that providing you with a mountain of cocaine was the best course of action---a fuckload of campaigns and missions, a ridiculous wealth of characters and builds, some batshit loot to acquire, and even was starting to provide a really good controller optimization. I'm still sad it got the plug pulled and Marvel's Avengers was the replacement. Maybe someday, some other studio can take the baseline of this one and do something like an X-Men game with less MMO aspects and more dungeoncrawl stuff.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

DLC Inc posted:

2) AI teammates on your team in single player not getting even half-XP, necessitating the arduous process of individually playing all the characters to fully unlock their great potential and movesets/modifiers. It was and still is an artificial way to draw out playing the already small list of missions.

I had not played for a while and thought to start the Black Panther content last weekend but after a while I knew I didn't want to spend all the time leveling up another hero, even partially, it's really not a fun goal. I really like how the heroes play but it's so different once they have all their moves they really shine.

I ended up uninstalling but maybe I'll go back to it in a couple months. There's lots of heroes I would've liked to have seen in the game like Dr Strange and Ant Man but I don't think it will happen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i bought this game for spider-man, but after unistalling it after black panther dropped, I won't be reinstalling. I'd love for this (and Outriders) to get an extensive rework and fun end game. poo poo, all they had to do was make it single player, Guardians was really fun and I'm looking forward to a NG+ run of that game and getting all the trophies.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Moola posted:

Every time I see someone have the sentiment of "ff14 did a come back! This game can too!" I lol and then lmao because the person clearly doesn't understand that situation was the stars all aligning and a miracle happening

Yeah, the chances of SE going (and CD accepting) "gently caress it, it's broken, we're giving this guy total control over everything and he's allowed to make any decisions he wants that he thinks will fix the game, he has our full support and we're leaving him alone to do whatever it takes" with any game other than a FF title is virtually nil.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Yeah, the chances of SE going (and CD accepting) "gently caress it, it's broken, we're giving this guy total control over everything and he's allowed to make any decisions he wants that he thinks will fix the game, he has our full support and we're leaving him alone to do whatever it takes" with any game other than a FF title is virtually nil.

this

for the uninformed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Seems weird to be mad and say "people want the game to crash & burn" when the game clearly crashed and burned months ago. It's not childish, it's exactly what happened, and yea they might be making some positive changes, but it's pretty obvious it's not remotely enough to reignite most players interest.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I really enjoy it when people get mad because we don't like a game. It's totally normal and healthy.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Seems weird to be mad and say "people want the game to crash & burn" when the game clearly crashed and burned months ago. It's not childish, it's exactly what happened, and yea they might be making some positive changes, but it's pretty obvious it's not remotely enough to reignite most players interest.

The last Steam sales pushed PC players up to roughly 2000, but that was it, clearly anyone who cared about games like this, have already played it.

Why this haven't been Anthem'ed yet is beyond me though.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I certainly had more fun playing the Anthem solo campaign

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Ruffian Price posted:

That's the harshest thing I've seen someone say about Avengers.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

:mods:

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Edit: totally the wrong thread, apologies.

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 8, 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pennfalath posted:

Spoilers for final chapters:

Did I just...literally rickroll the final but not really boss? Does that happen to everyone or was it just the best coincidence when I activated my huddle at the end?
And the use of The Final Countdown at the end was pretty good as well.

Edit: post credits: and now I got rickrolled!

what the gently caress are you talking about?

are you playing Saints Row 3???

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Moola posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about?

are you playing Saints Row 3???

Maybe the Guardians game?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Yes, meant to post in the Guardians of the Galaxy thread, apologies.

As for Avengers, I'll install the game again when Spider-Man arrives and play through the Wakanda and Spidey story content.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

First look at Spider-Man. Trailer tomorrow.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K43xpeAmZ-g

No gameplay

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wow, uh, those animations are rough for a CGI hype trailer.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

lmao at that VO choice for spidersman

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pure CG and he looks slow as poo poo, I’m sure it’ll be great.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
*in an extremely tired divorced dad voice* I'm spider-man...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Yikes. That's one of the worst performances I've heard for Spider-Man in a long, long time. Wrong pitch, wrong tone, wrong energy levels. Wrong wrong wrong.

At least the rest of the game's good though! Right?