Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

OxMan posted:

Not even comparable imo. Destiny at launch had: 40+ hr campaign with lots of unique levels and areas, like 3 open worlds to run around in with 3 separate types of enemies with varied units to fight, multiplayer, strikes, exotic weapons and equipment that genuinely changed your dudes gameplay, and within the first month or 2 a raid and harder strikes with more prizes and upgrades to win.

Avengers doesn't have a third of the content Destiny launched with. Maybe a quarter.

Destiny at launch had a campaign I finished in about 6 hours. This campaign took me 12 hours and the post game mission chains another 36. Then you mention raids added two months after launch compared to a game out three weeks.

Destiny also did the trick of making you play through the same areas as an older mission, but this time backwards as padding.

Avengers could certainly do with some more content but try to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I hope they add an even wider view combat camera in the future. The current wide one still feels claustrophobic. It doesn't need to be Diablo range, but someone closer to Spiderman would probably go a long way to making the combat not feel like such a clusterfuck.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Seedge posted:

Destiny at launch had a campaign I finished in about 6 hours. This campaign took me 12 hours and the post game mission chains another 36. Then you mention raids added two months after launch compared to a game out three weeks.

Destiny also did the trick of making you play through the same areas as an older mission, but this time backwards as padding.

I'm playing through destiny for the first time now and all of my friends who bought it at launch said they completed it in a weekend, so this checks out. I imagine there's a ton more to do now, but its also been out for years now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One thing Destiny did have over this game is that playing with your friends was very easy and not at all plagued with connection issues, even early on.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

SettingSun posted:

One thing Destiny did have over this game is that playing with your friends was very easy and not at all plagued with connection issues, even early on.

Thats definitely true. I do not understand why this does not have seemless drop in drop out. If I crash to the PS Menu, I can't rejoin my friends until they either finish the mission or back out to the Quinjet, and that's just terrible.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm enjoying the game, but is there any reason to do matchmaking? I've done a couple of games with other people, but it seems like filling out the team with AI is just as good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SettingSun posted:

probably because Destiny is more of an mmo so it wasn't too hard to just rejoin a constantly running open world map as opposed to there being specific instances opening and closing for missions

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm enjoying the game, but is there any reason to do matchmaking? I've done a couple of games with other people, but it seems like filling out the team with AI is just as good.

AI generally don’t do takedowns and are kinda crappy at managing things like stun or leaning into good builds. They’re pretty good at bringing you back up when you’re downed though. It mostly just depends on if you want to play with real people

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

And while they're getting ready to fix this issue, if you aren't playing a character that can break down/hack open doors they aren't opening if you play with just AI.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mikemil828 posted:

You do that then, just don’t say you weren’t warned.

Fuckin LOL AF at this comment. Just imagining at some point in the future, anyone going

"I change my mind, this game is bad. OH WAIT, poo poo, that guy WARNED me about this!! WHY didn't I listen?! If only id listened, and hated the game all the while I was playing it up until now, instead of enjoying it, then this SUDDEN revelation of it actually being bad would be barely lessened! gently caress, I'll have to find him and let him know he was right, and that I actually DIDN'T enjoy any of it all along!" Or... Like what? What are you suggesting here? Like if they don't release great dlc, somehow you are vindicated? No, if they don't release great dlc, then it's just bad dlc and we don't play it. No one gets emotionally invested in it like it's some war of emotions with a winner taking a trophy?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Exactly, so why did you?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

a mysterious cloak posted:

On top of what others have said, if you get downed a certain number of times with just AI teammates you restart from a checkpoint. With other players you can suck as much as you want.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I'm still excited to play this game after a few months of patches and price drops

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ruffian Price posted:

Exactly, so why did you?

Well because this is a forum where you talk about stuff, (it isn't me playing the game, my investments here are a different thing) and this concept genuinely makes me laugh. I'm going to put it into a script I'm writing, as a concept, the absurdity of it tickles me and I'm lampshading it in case it does someone else, if they stop and think about it, rather than just writing it off as ignorable trite.

I guess if I think about it further, I was as flippant and mean about it because I don't really think about replying to actual human beings so much and these days that's probably wrong. Like I don't even look at avatars let alone names, you could all just be one schizophrenic robot to me. So, sorry about that. I should work on that.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
holy poo poo shutup :jerkbag:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Jokes on you the game is already dead didn’t you know?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I love it when a controversial game thread is all about arguing if a game is objectively good. I especially like it when one side clearly wins and we all get to celebrate their good opinion-having

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Game is trash, but it's fun trash, the game equivalent of a bucket of popcorn at the movies, shared with friends.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I really want to like this game but drat there's a lot of problems. Number one is probably the matchmaking loving sucks so you can spend 15 minutes searching, find one person, and they'll drop out before the thing starts. It also still crashes a lot. Not as much as it did before but man it seems every vault I do has a 50/50 chance to crash on me. Also holy poo poo the modifiers are stupid sometimes. The last vault I did had extra melee damage and projectile damage so it wound up with things like Thor getting one shot.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MeekOrganicInsect-mobile.mp4

(this vault also froze on me right when it was opening at the end)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here’s the rest.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Finally.

Game is still fun, but I'm pretty underwhelmed with the stuff you can get on the helicarrier. Gear I don't buy very much, but it'd be nice to have more/different suits to get.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Seedge posted:

I mean look, I forgot that the first raid wasn't in at launch, but 6 hr campaign first time through? Maybe if you did nothing but rush storyline and never explore anything and never died on anything. I'm not even gonna address going backwards through a mission when the entire game is made of prefab hallways and like 3,4 open levels with zero environmental functionality. And the lack of enemy variety. And the lack of a whole nother gameplay type in a versus or SOMETHING. I almost guarantee if you beelined nothing but story missions you'd beat avengers in 6 hours too.

I think that a beatemup is just less mechanically complicated and satisfying than an fps, except sor4 owns bones so maybe avengers just isn't that good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Destiny's campaign was definitely around 6 - 8 hours at launch.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

marshmallow creep posted:

Game is trash, but it's fun trash, the game equivalent of a bucket of popcorn at the movies, shared with friends.

I'm gonna agree with this. It's a fun button masher when I need to kill an hour or so or get bored. I've been having a ton of fun just smashing dudes with Thor and Hulk. I like that the microtransactions can basically be ignored and it's not difficult to level up equipment by buying items for cheap from Vendors.

Me and my brother have enjoyed it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

OxMan posted:

I mean look, I forgot that the first raid wasn't in at launch, but 6 hr campaign first time through? Maybe if you did nothing but rush storyline and never explore anything and never died on anything. I'm not even gonna address going backwards through a mission when the entire game is made of prefab hallways and like 3,4 open levels with zero environmental functionality. And the lack of enemy variety. And the lack of a whole nother gameplay type in a versus or SOMETHING. I almost guarantee if you beelined nothing but story missions you'd beat avengers in 6 hours too.

I think that a beatemup is just less mechanically complicated and satisfying than an fps, except sor4 owns bones so maybe avengers just isn't that good.
I rushed storyline on both games, primarily in Avengers because I wanted all the characters before doing any MP. Destiny I spent no time exploring because, like Avengers, the beta taught me theres no point looking for treasure until you hit max power level because everything boils down to Bigger Power Number.

I've definitely played more of SOR4 than either Destiny or Avengers this year, though, so you might be onto something there :D

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Morand posted:

the microtransactions can basically be ignored

Hard disagree, because I couldn't keep looking at Riot Cop-tain America, or watching him get around in some pyjamas.

Outside of that, I'm with you. It's a pretty okay beat-em-up and I haven't regretted my time with it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Seedge posted:

I rushed storyline on both games, primarily in Avengers because I wanted all the characters before doing any MP. Destiny I spent no time exploring because, like Avengers, the beta taught me theres no point looking for treasure until you hit max power level because everything boils down to Bigger Power Number.

This post is the reason i'll never get on with the looter shooter community (and also mmo's). The whole "this game isn't a game until i max out my level" is so weird to me. Just enjoy the drat game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

GlenMR posted:

Hard disagree, because I couldn't keep looking at Riot Cop-tain America, or watching him get around in some pyjamas.

Outside of that, I'm with you. It's a pretty okay beat-em-up and I haven't regretted my time with it.

Yeah, dolly dressup is my favorite thing to do in games, and the base costumes are so loving terrible in this game, that I have to buy those cosmetics.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Seedge posted:

I've definitely played more of SOR4 than either Destiny or Avengers this year, though, so you might be onto something there :D

TBF at least Avengers doesn't make you really hunt for stuff. Chest are obvious, frequent, and show up on radar. Makes them much more effective in Avengers when just running a mission below max power.

Biggest issue for me at the moment is the meh framerate and jet engine PS4 Pro. I kind of just want to wait till I get my launch PS5 and play it there, as hopefully stuff will be patched, framerates will likely 60, and the PS5 hopefully won't be trying to overpower my surround sound system.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 25, 2020

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

dogstile posted:

This post is the reason i'll never get on with the looter shooter community (and also mmo's). The whole "this game isn't a game until i max out my level" is so weird to me. Just enjoy the drat game.

Oh, I enjoyed my time with it. I just didn't go looking for extra chests because the contents were never worthwhile. Holding L2 at the equipment menu for pretty much the entire game kept making number go up. Once I hit max level I started paying more attention to perks and such on gear.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

My issues boil down to 2:

- matchmaking. it's 3 weeks today since release and matchmaking takes minutes and most of the time gets me 1 player who's either much higher or much lower power level than me. This shouldn't be that difficult.

- the handful of environments and room types. last night I saw three sabotage missions that each had exactly the same layout. it's getting to when I zone into a mission there's a good chance I can predict exactly what shape the map will take, and my highest power level character is 67.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

My biggest issue is just that the itemization is boring. I want some totally bananas uniques to hunt for that cause substantial differences to how your skills work or how you play, instead of just 'oh yay 3 more points of resilience.' The closest thing we have right now is pyms procs

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I wouldn't mind a free roam mode. They have giant rear end maps for some of the missions.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Azubah posted:

I wouldn't mind a free roam mode. They have giant rear end maps for some of the missions.

My wife, who was absolutely enthralled by the story mode to the point where I wasn't allowed to play unless she was there to watch too, said she thought it was incredibly cool to see superheroes use their abilities to traverse and fight in a forest and a canyon and other natural areas, and I agree. You just don't see that a lot. Swinging from treebranch to cliff face as Kamala is fun as hell.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ketchup vs catsup posted:

My issues boil down to 2:

- matchmaking. it's 3 weeks today since release and matchmaking takes minutes and most of the time gets me 1 player who's either much higher or much lower power level than me. This shouldn't be that difficult.

- the handful of environments and room types. last night I saw three sabotage missions that each had exactly the same layout. it's getting to when I zone into a mission there's a good chance I can predict exactly what shape the map will take, and my highest power level character is 67.

I had one day where the matchmaking was working for me but now I'm getting the same thing you are. It sucks because it was really cool playing with a full group of people, and some used the in-game voice chat too. My game time can be haphazard when I can/can't play so random people matchmaking is a must-have.

I finished getting all the prologue/iconic outfits for everyone, it was good practice playing everyone other than just my favorite. I probably had the hardest time with Widow because aiming with a controller even with aim assist can be tough, but they were all fun.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

PlushCow posted:

I finished getting all the prologue/iconic outfits for everyone, it was good practice playing everyone other than just my favorite. I probably had the hardest time with Widow because aiming with a controller even with aim assist can be tough, but they were all fun.

After getting everyone to or close to 50 you realize that iron man and widow are the hardest characters to play because zip lines and triangle blasts for iron man are impossible to aim and will attach to random loving targets constantly without a hard lock, which getting in a sea of dudes+fliers is just as unlikely. I fear Hawkeyes will suffer from this too, hell any ranged char not autolocking AOE like cap. It's one of the reasons Thor is The Strongest Avenger.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

OxMan posted:

After getting everyone to or close to 50 you realize that iron man and widow are the hardest characters to play because zip lines and triangle blasts for iron man are impossible to aim and will attach to random loving targets constantly without a hard lock, which getting in a sea of dudes+fliers is just as unlikely. I fear Hawkeyes will suffer from this too, hell any ranged char not autolocking AOE like cap. It's one of the reasons Thor is The Strongest Avenger.

While I loving love me some Thor, I find Iron man super easy to play as. I feel like he's versatile as gently caress since he can go DPS with rockets versus big assholes, repulsors versus trash, and lasers versus big groups.

Widow on the other hand I can't do dick all as. She is not fun for me.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Morand posted:

While I loving love me some Thor, I find Iron man super easy to play as. I feel like he's versatile as gently caress since he can go DPS with rockets versus big assholes, repulsors versus trash, and lasers versus big groups.

Widow on the other hand I can't do dick all as. She is not fun for me.

She's a buff team powerhouse. If you play solo she's underwhelming. In a group, she can invis everyone, which is practical invincibility, her ult lasts forever, and you can spec her widow bite to do more damage while invisible and get 4 charges of it. By the time you've run out of ult you can invis everyone again, she can chain invis herself repeatedly as long as you're good at dodging and especially parrying, and her big pistol does pretty bonker damage even if you don't spec for it. They're going to patch pym particling taskmaster if they haven't already, but you can still 1 cycle bosses with Widow until they nerf invis time. Once you hit 50 and are all geared out you'll basically never switch from rockets as Ironman either, as they 1 shot a lot of the basic trash dudes, just spec for intrinsic or L1 orbs where you're not using energy and just poo poo out rockets for like 8 straight seconds

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I like Iron Man for long range rocket-ing all the drones and nuking any annoying ranged enemies, then switch to lasers for melee stunning and doing takedowns on everything to build heroics back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Game just crashed on floor 14 of an elite heroic hive. Very cool.