Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So uh... I really want to like this but I played the first few minutes up to the INSTALLING NEW CONTENT break and it seems really bad. The controls feel terrible and every 10 seconds I’m getting more tedious QTE cutscenes.

I hope it gets better. A Diablo-style loot farming game with superheroes should be right up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Well that was awful. Got into a multiplayer mission, killed 5/6 target enemies, then spent 45 minutes with all four of us wandering around every square inch of the map looking for the last one without success. Pretty sure by the end of it we all quit the game and deleted it.

There are elements I want to like about this, a superhero Diablo game is right up my alley. But holy poo poo is it clunky and unfun to play. The controls feel terrible, the objectives are unclear, the loot uninteresting and it just plain sucks to play. It feels like a mishmash of stuff that worked in other games in the past crammed together into an unholy abomination with no consideration given to *why* those things worked in other games.

This doesn’t feel like a beta test shortly before launch. It feels like an early alpha in a barely playable state. There’s potential to turn this mess into a pretty good game, but it needs a “YoshiP takes over FFXIV” level revamp. Instead they’re what, three weeks away from launch?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Manxome Foe posted:

Also his incremental jump height and "maybe I'll grab this wall, maybe I won't" movement system makes hunting for loot boxes abysmal.

This hits on something I knew felt wrong but it didn’t really crystallize until I read your post. The jumping and movement generally feel awful.

It sucked doing the danger room fights with Kamala Khan having so many aerial enemies zipping around and targets on platforms sniping at me. It wasn’t really difficult, just felt like I was struggling with the controls to get her to go where I wanted or target what I wanted.

The controls shouldn’t feel this bad a couple weeks before launch.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Oh cool. Guess I’ll wait for the Game of the Year edition in 2022 with the other 75% of the roster.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
There’s a potentially good game in there. But it would take months of development time and they seem locked into releasing it in a few weeks. If you buy it now you’re buying an incomplete game hoping it’ll get patched into something good post-release.

Which could happen I guess?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
MUA3 is also a Switch exclusive thus its never dropped below $79.98 CAD in the over a year it’s been out. At least being a PS4 title means Avengers will be $20 within a few months.

https://psprices.com/region-ca/game/2828088/marvel-ultimate-alliance-3-the-black-order

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Seedge posted:

Man I wish this was vaguely true in Ireland. Stuff that came out last Christmas ain't down to 20 euro yet. Hell, Red Dead 2 is 35 on sale on PSN...

To be fair Red Dead 2 is $35.99 CAD on sale right now too and hasn’t gone any lower.

Spider-Man is probably a closer parallel and the GotY edition has dropped to $25 seven times since it came out one month after MUA3. The base game dropped similarly fast a year prior.

Feels quite likely Avengers will launch big off the strength of the IP, then fall off hard when people actually play it. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s seeing deep discounts by early 2021.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Someone posted a couple pages ago data mining of the 2/3rds of the roster that won’t be in at launch. Presumably they’ll be added with later patches and/or DLC. With only a small portion of the eventual roster in game at launch, it seems best to wait a year till the inevitable “Game of the Year” edition with the full roster comes out.

This trend of releasing unfinished games, selling pieces of the finished product as DLC, then a year or two later selling a GotY edition of the complete game sucks.

RatHat posted:

So there were a bunch of future playable characters datamined. Note that most of these are JUST the name and they don’t have models or anything so I wouldn’t expect most/any of these to be in at release.

Unannounced Playable Characters:
Ant Man
Wasp
Vision
Black Panther
Dr Strange
Falcon
Mar-Vell
Mockingbird
Quake
Winter Soldier
Scarlet Witch
Captain Marvel
Kate Bishop
She Hulk
War Machine

Other Character Mentions:
Frenzy (Probably an enemy class)
Ultron
Red Hulk
Deathlok
Vindicator
Monica

- I really doubt these are secret unlocks but there might be a few. I’d say Captain Marvel, Warmachine, and Antman have the best chances of being secret characters already in the game.
-Note how many are close to current heroes in the game so they can probably reuse the same skeleton for the model, and they might basically be skins.
-The ones with the most files are Black Panther, She-Hulk, Kate Bishop and Winter Soldier so those and Hawkeye are probably the first 5 DLC characters.
-By the way Antman is specifically called “Antman2” so it’s probably Scott Lang.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Codependent Poster posted:

Kate Bishop.

Though I'd probably pay for a Kate Beaton addition.

Kate Beaton would make this an instant preorder.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Jerusalem posted:

If they used the Kate Beaton version of Kraven I would be so happy

:hellyeah:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The only superhero team I recognize Spider-man as a legitimate member of is The New Fantastic Four. :colbert:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It feels less that the game is unsalvageable and more that it’s not ready for launch. Terrible controls, frame rate issues on PS4, and multiplayer disconnect bugs abound. The core gameplay is the same tired crap we’ve played a dozen times with a different skin. If the loot was interesting that might help distract from the rest (Borderlands 2 is the ultimate example of this) but the drops I saw were pretty unexciting.

There’s no killer feature that makes you want to slog through the broken half-finished mess that is the rest of the game. They really need to delay launch a few months. Unfortunately because its 2020 they’ll release the incomplete game and try to fix it with patches later.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham will be an N-Gage exclusive.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Gonna guess the check didn’t clear to IGN if they’re getting headlines like this.

lol the next line past the headline is “Reminder: All of Marvel's Avengers' post-launch heroes will be free to all players.”

Shocking. IGN with a super misleading headline.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

VanillaGorilla posted:

Is it supposed to be a problem that they’re offering a $10 pass to earn cosmetic poo poo for characters they’re providing for free, along with associated story content?

Doesn’t bother me! But the headline is vague enough to make it sound like $10 paid character unlocks. lovely of IGN to phrase it that way and rely on clicking through to the article to clarify that it’s cosmetics.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Soonmot posted:

GIVE ME DARKHAWK YOU COWARDS

New Warriors DLC when???

Maining Nova but totally playing Speedball as an alt.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I dunno. The game could be good when it gets out of beta and has a full launch on the PS6.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

!Klams posted:

Also all the best comic writers have that kinda bad-boy vibe where they treat it like they hate the comic but love the characters, y'know, and try and shake poo poo up. Epix can kinda take that attitude, whereas marvel themselves are kinda precious with their baby.

Now I’m imagining the bizarre and nightmarish hellworld that would be an Avengers game where Garth Ennis had full creative control.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Masonity posted:

The game is already 50% off on Steam. Is it worth grabbing for £25 or not?

It’s gonna drop a hell of a lot lower than that if you’re in no rush.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Masonity posted:

Yeah I might just wait until I can pick it up for a tenner or get it on gamepass.

Yeah, if it hits $10 CAD I’ll probably pick it up. Seems inevitable it will, just a matter of being patient.

Or maybe in a few years they’ll release a “Game of the Year” edition with all the DLC that should have been in the game at launch. This trend of releasing half finished games then finishing them with DLC sucks.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The repetitive grind just to unlock your abilities and there being no real end game. What the gently caress were they thinking lol

“Marvel + GAAS? We’re going to make so much money off these fuckin nerds.”

Marketing department was a highly skilled team of 1200 people including professional psychiatrists and a hologram of Don Draper.

Development team was a teenage kid with a broken Walkman and some dude who used to work in Kevin Smith’s comic shop.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The resurrection of XIV into the greatest MMO of all time was such a long shot it’s highly likely a similar attempt to resurrect Avengers would fail. They really caught lightning in a bottle with that one.

The best hope for this game would be for it to keep chugging along with DLC patches for 2-3 years till the data mined roster gets added plus some sort of new playable content. Then three years down the line a complete edition gets released with what should have been the full game at launch.

Much more likely they’ll see how much money they’re losing and cut bait.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I kinda hope the next fourteen characters are all Hawkpeople. Including a DC crossover.

I want Hawkeye, Hawkgirl, Hawkwoman, Hawkman, Hawk & Dove, Darkhawk... hell, throw in Harvey Birdman.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Speedball or game is dead.

Move over Spidey!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Good Citizen posted:

Apparently square launched a dev blog today, I wonder what they had to announce

Oh. Huh.

Keep up the good work team! :thumbsup:

This is absolutely perfect for Marvel’s Avengers Game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

jabro posted:

After this and Outriders I hope Square Enix takes a hard long look at their looter shooter strategy or just abandon them entirely.

YoshiP is being cloned right now and will lead development on every Square Enix title for the next hundred years.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Dead game is saved!

https://twitter.com/playavengers/status/1363986934964490246?s=21

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I’m Stochastic Screen-Space Reflections. A totally really real thing that exists and matters.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I still want to try this game on my ps5 but I'm not willing to pay more than 30€ for a dead game. Is the community at least somewhat alive on Playstation if I do end up getting it?

Everything about this game screams “future PS+ title”. If you wait a few months it seems highly likely to be one.

A couple more years and it’ll be a Humble Bundle staple.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
At this point they’re just cranking out whatever content was already in the pipeline before launch before cutting support for the game. Doesn’t matter if it makes sense.

A few more characters, Spooder-Human to fulfill that contractual obligation, and they’re out the door.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think they may be aiming to make the game Free to Play with these changes? lmao man

Feels likely to be a PS+ title in the next few months. I could imagine them transitioning it into a F2P title and giving the game away to try and salvage something out of this disaster.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Plus they can probably squeeze some cash out of it by pumping up the micro transactions and making it a PS+ giveaway/putting it in Humble Bundles/etc.

Lure in a bunch of players because “meh, it’s free why not at least try it” then hope to snag a few whales in that artificially inflated playerbase.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RagnarokZ posted:

There are 450ish playing this on Steam*, if that isn't low enough, what is? Four and a donkey? A Russian chat bot? Walt Disney's frozen mind?

*Yes, yes, we know, more people will be playing this, trapped in the hellscape that is consoles, we know.

One less than the number of people playing Artifact.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is the spiderman dlc even guaranteed at this point?

The assumption is there’s some sort of contract in place that would be more expensive to break than to crank out a lovely Spidey reskin and call it a day.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Seems like a simple fix. Execute all the staff of Crystal Dynamics for their failure and give the swanky new offices to the FFXIV team.

Oh and have YoshiP add Spider-Man to FFXIV as a PlayStation exclusive.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Marvel’s Avengers Game getting one more big content update integrated into every single mission in the game: the Batmobile.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I wonder how much damage the beta did. I know I was hype for this game and maybe not expecting to buy it at launch but probably at the first price drop.

A few hours of the beta made it painfully clear they were launching a half finished game expecting to fix it with patches.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Did they announce the addition of Funkmaster Flexotronics, Perpendicular Kaleidoscopes and only on the PS5 version Lenticular Artichokes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I feel like they give it away on PS+ and whatever the Microsoft version is before they announce going F2P.

Maybe pair up the PS+ month with the release of Spidey. If they want to go extra supervillain make Spidey free to paid customers but a DLC for all the PS+ players.