Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
I do hope they put out some good end game content, such as the raid that was hinted at, but I'm also hard pressed to imagine that they're going to continually keep a solid team on this game to keep pumping out content, rather than just finishing up contract obligations. There was that big character list but I almost imagine that to be a thing where you pay $15 and then you get that character unlocked to play as. Also I can't imagine the raid will be Destiny-like as the mic demands and complexity of tasks puts that kind of content out of reach of a lot of casual players. Hard to say what the future will be.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Tensokuu posted:

They’ve said all new characters will be free from the start so yes.

Ah well that's good to know. If nothing else that'll be something else to check in on every month.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

OxMan posted:

Not even comparable imo. Destiny at launch had: 40+ hr campaign with lots of unique levels and areas, like 3 open worlds to run around in with 3 separate types of enemies with varied units to fight, multiplayer, strikes, exotic weapons and equipment that genuinely changed your dudes gameplay, and within the first month or 2 a raid and harder strikes with more prizes and upgrades to win.

Avengers doesn't have a third of the content Destiny launched with. Maybe a quarter.

I played the poo poo out of D1. Saying it had a 40+ hr campaign is a goddamn joke.

And if you want to get technical, Marvel has many more "classes" via character selection and "skill trees" than D1 ever had. So tally that up in your content-o-meter.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 22, 2020

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Seedge posted:

I rushed storyline on both games, primarily in Avengers because I wanted all the characters before doing any MP. Destiny I spent no time exploring because, like Avengers, the beta taught me theres no point looking for treasure until you hit max power level because everything boils down to Bigger Power Number.

I've definitely played more of SOR4 than either Destiny or Avengers this year, though, so you might be onto something there :D

TBF at least Avengers doesn't make you really hunt for stuff. Chest are obvious, frequent, and show up on radar. Makes them much more effective in Avengers when just running a mission below max power.

Biggest issue for me at the moment is the meh framerate and jet engine PS4 Pro. I kind of just want to wait till I get my launch PS5 and play it there, as hopefully stuff will be patched, framerates will likely 60, and the PS5 hopefully won't be trying to overpower my surround sound system.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 25, 2020

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Diabetic posted:

GaaS only work when the game is built around it. Destiny started as its own game and has taken a while to get it semi right, Anthem was thrust into it deep in dev like Avengers and it hurt both. Fall guys started out as a GaaS and it works way better with a much smaller budget.

That being said, I put this down to play Control and my God I love that game.

I've only done like 1/2-2/3rds of the story mode of this game and already I'm confused by the vendors/crafting and faction mission stuff that are clearly designed around the GaaS mode, and don't even feel motivated to look the stuff up for what it all means. I know it can be ignored until you do GaaS endgame, but it's just annoying how there are two distinct structures/game modes going on at the same time.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
I haven't even finished the single player. I was pretty motivated to play it at first, and I got as far as Black Widow, but I haven't played in a few months and just feel no desire to relearn moves for the characters to get through the rest of it. May end up just deleting it, which is a shame. The delay of the next gen patch really sucks.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m sure they just expected to be Destiny: Marvel Edition. Except they don’t seem to want to invest resources into fixing it like Bungie did.

Destiny got a lot of leeway due to the wide variety of novel stuff in play, and it being the first game like it to market. Bungie has broken just as much as it fixed over the years, and still is to this day.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Vince MechMahon posted:

Destiny at launch had a really satisfying core mechanic and PvP multiplayer to at least keep people around for SOMETHING.

Depends how you define "core." The shooting and the moving has been good. The (PVP&PVE) balance, the numbers go up, the modifications, the RNG, and the upgrading has consistently ranged from mediocre to terrible. But, yes, shooting and moving have been consistently fun. Also, Destiny does a better job of disguising it's spreadsheet numbers go up nature, with unique looking equipment and names and lore. Avengers disguises nothing, and it literally feels like a spreadsheet when upgrading, which IMO is a substantial problem. There's no real sense of world-building in any of it, and that carries Destiny a long way.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 9, 2021

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

thebardyspoon posted:

It also does have some variety, like the PVP, strikes and patrol zones are all pretty decent and look different. You got some different enemies to shoot (they have been leaning on them for too long now though). You compare it to Avengers and it's a rough ol comparison.

Yea Destiny certainly had great enemy variety when it first began, which helped a lot. Now, not so much :(

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Finally finished the campaign. Last boss was kind of fun with switching between characters.

But I immediately uninstalled after that. Don't even care about the DLC. The loot and mat aspect is just so offputting, along with requiring me to grind characters for their individual story stuff, I just can't when there's so many other games in my backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

ErrEff posted:

That was Bungie/Activision’s gamble for Destiny 1 and it worked, but that was only because they had a mega popular hit that managed to keep players occupied.

I’m sure SE wanted to charge for Wakanda but couldn’t see it working when looking at the player numbers and figured it would just splinter the playerbase even further.

Anyway, they’re now doing their damndest to entice players back. If this doesn’t work, nothing will.

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/wtw-week-48

There’s also a free-to-play event this weekend on Steam, Stadia and PS4/PS5 (not Xbox).

Still no word on Spider-Man, AFAIK.

Do they not understand that part of the problem with this game is that there’s 9 different currencies.