Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah if you've read the Kotaku story about Anthem, it was obvious just how loving insanely bad the production and development of that game was, right down to the wire. The Avengers game at least looks like they're putting out a decent product and with a lot of promise for a fun game you can just mess around with.

There are a lot of Destiny/Anthem games out there so it's nice to have one that's more in line with Ultimate Alliance and less to do with shootman stuff. Will be fun to play as characters like Hulk, Thor, and Ms Marvel since that's the kind of brawling stuff I'd rather do in a GaaS experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

here's my trip report. also thank god they fixed the innernet issue where every 10 min I'd get a popup about "your ethernet connection is off lol"

- The missions seem ok for now. Nothing too crazy, just a bunch of basic stuff and a few where you had to defend a thing or stay in an area. Maybe there will be more diverse and open mission/fights later on.

- Game looks pretty nice, although the overall color palette is dreary as gently caress. VERY muted colors for areas/characters, reminds me too much of Anthem/Destiny's gray, tasteless poo poo. Christ I wish Sucker Punch or Insomniac had helped designed this, there really is no personality here. The snow levels, AIM factories, everything has that very distinct "GaaS" aesthetic stink on it. Why? Again, I reiterate for the 100th time: if this was an X-Men game, poo poo would be wilder. There is no music worth talking about, just more "whatever" poo poo.

- Characters: gameplay is pretty fun. The combinations of moves and skills you can do with light, heavy, jump, evasion, and shoulder button "aiming" is pretty good. I'll just run down the characters for now:

Hulk is fun, if a little unwieldy with jumps and Heroic abilities bouncing all over. He might need more health? I love how he can just ruin entire mobs, great tank to draw aggro. I feel his boulders/meteor moves should be better though.

Iron Man was unexpectedly very fun with his fast-paced combo style, anthem flightmode, and variable rocket/laser/repulsor loadout. Parrying is fun. Love his bulkier costume.

Ms. Marvel has a lot of cool poo poo like her far fist and grab-and-go stuff. She's a brawler with more speed and range though not quite as hardy as the others. Very fun to play around with.

Widow surprised me too, in how she felt like a ninja with her grapple counters, Punisher guns, and mobility. She was the biggest surprise of the bunch for sure.

Cap and Thor, though only playable for a second, felt pretty cool too. Really wanted to play more Thor. The AI seems alright though it's hard to tell because squad battles with 4 people is complete loving chaos. I often couldn't tell wtf was going on though I did some cool poo poo like snipe people with Iron Man while Hulk tossed them in the air. You can do some fun juggles/aerial raves in tandem with your squad.

- The equipment stuff kind of made my eyes glaze over; I don't care too much about it. Idgaf about materials and crafting in this game so I expect I'll just only get into it if I reach a roadblock and need to Hold Square to boost a thing once or twice.

Overall it was an enjoyable few hours spent but I couldn't help but muse "this should be way, way better" in terms of aesthetics and mission structure. Say what you will about Destiny but at least Strikes and missions had some cool setpieces and structures; I never really felt like I was fighting in interesting places during Avengers.

There is a lot of promise though in terms of the combat and the things you could do. Like, you can call down the Hulkbuster, and Black Widow can loving use it. Some of Hulk's heroic abilities change depending on the size of the opponent he uses it on. A lot of cool context sensitive poo poo that points to the devs thinking about how powers work and interact with other people. Idk if I'd buy this on release though---might wait to see how the complete package looks on reviews.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

at least they inferred that the PS5 free upgrade would be 60fps and looks better lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

one thing I absolutely loving hate is that it seems you can't edit your other heroes unless you're in the mission selection where you are selecting teammates. Like, correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't seem to be just a general menu where I can cycle through heroes and tinker with their skills/gear.

I think it also is a tremendous and amazingly loving stupid thing that you cannot switch on the fly between heroes when it's you and 3 AI companions. I have NO idea why this isn't a thing and is probably the single biggest oversight because it gets boring really really fast when I can only play one in a mission and not set up combos/synergy in an attack at all. Like, why? It was the norm in all the Legends/UA games. The more I think about it this is probably the biggest blight on the game by far.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Abomination and Taskmaster are fine but they feel like extremely safe choices, much like how the loving Shocker/Rhino have been in every single spiderman game in the last 15 years. No clue who else they're gonna put in for the remaining 6 or 7 supervillain slots sans MODOK but I'm willing to bet it's more along the lines of Crossbones than cool, weird poo poo like Graviton, The Hood, or Citizen V. Actually a Thunderbolts subplot would have been an extremely cool set of missions given that the game begins with the Avengers disassembled. A game where you then had to fight off the Thunderbolt replacements and find out who they were would have been neat.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

what sucks hard is that I really liked the direction Marvel Heroes was going in, particularly the console Omega version---the control set was actually really good and they could have kept the ball going. I forgot why it eventually failed, did Disney just pull the plug? Calling ICR for the full postmortem because drat I had like 100s of hours in that game and had so much fun with it. Steamrolling down Manhattan with Juggernaut. I loved how they gave characters like....Cyclops (I think?) or Wolverine loving motorcycles to ride in. The Thing got his stupid little fantasticar. It was just pure loving fun and even though the itemization/currencies were overwhelming as poo poo, you always had something fun to do.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ICR posted:

Hi my friend and RIP to Marvel Heroes as always :(

They basically just need to make that game again but without the sexual predator CEO.

not to turn this into a Marvel Heroes grave since the other thread is still up but I did appreciate your enthusiasm for the game, Cosmicing characters and laughing at the Gaz forums, waiting for each old brokeass character to get their respective reworks and glowups. I remember how loving unbelievably fun it was to play as Dr. Doom, how complex chars like Dr. Strange were, buying Ant-Man day 1 and having a loving blast with his batshit kit. I remember streaming the Omega console beta with my friends because they weren't PC gamers at all and were excited to finally play. Man it was just a great clusterfuck of fun and random explosions, and I just haven't felt that way with MUA3 or Avengers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tensokuu posted:

Full Cap challenge card

What the hell is that Level 9 outfit?

--

Also maybe Cap is dead and we play the rest of the game as US Agent!

looks like the "AIM kidnapped him" theory a post earlier is true lol. that lvl 9 costume reeks of "captain america breakout from a holding tank" outfit complete with a weird brand they put on him

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

you can really tell how poo poo a game's cosmetics are by the number of recolors on the same goddamn skin. they could knock the number of them down by like 6 each but I guess they needed a bunch of ugly recolors so you have an excuse to use real money to get the "good" colors for outfits while the game drops only the poo poo ones you don't want

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

being asked to pay for loving Takedowns---animations that would add variety to the combat---is ratfuck levels of No Thanks. And I realize that's not new but on top of how bland all of the game already is, they have some big balls piecemealing even extremely basic poo poo that should just be baked in.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

You won't miss out on anything big by waiting.

especially since I think the nextgen versions will be 60fps or at least that's what I've been lead to beleive

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Cool to see that the postgame mission chains are real missions, with unique setpieces and voice acting and cutscenes and everything.

Also: gear gets waaaay more interesting past PL40 or so, as do skill choices once you have access to all the optional perks in the 2nd and 3rd trees. It's kind of funny how much of the game's cool poo poo was straight up not available in the beta.

does the gear move past an endless garble of just numbers and percentages, because I kept just mindlessly pressing "equip best poo poo" since there were so much endless descriptions on every weapon and armor trinket. It was tough to keep up in the beta because you just get escalating gear levels and don't have time to squint at all the tiny bite sized "if X happens then Y is 10%" equations. I was wondering if gear does more stuff to modify skills and attributes in larger ways.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm kind of glad she has costumes with the mask, bodes well for Hawkeye thankfully getting his classic costume instead of that bland poo poo he's had forever.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

every single HARM training module I've had to restart because at the beginning, the enemy that is supposed to train me in Perfect Dodge will stay still and never attack LOL. There were 2 story missions I had to "restart at checkpoint" as well because events never activated to continue the mission. Did anyone loving test this game?

Also is it just me or do the AI companions you bring for missions not get any experience? Is it really only the player-controlled character that gets XP???

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol that I bought this thinking so much stuff, including a PS5 upgrade so I could play it at 60fps, was right around the corner.

I think this might legit be the worst game purchase I've done in years.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"Marvel’s Avengers became the game I wanted it to be, but I had to work for it."

this is extremely brokenbrained even by Kotaku standards, jesus. "game good after grinding for like 50 to 60 hours"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how in the gently caress do they think this will turn out well? Is this some kind of broad experiment? There's no logical explanation for how amazingly bad the developers are. They're making the Fallout 76 and Destiny devs look like golden gods.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I just want them to release a Captain Marvel pack and then i can ignore it. They'd have to add, i dunno, X-men, Scarlet Witch or Squirrel Girl for me to come back.

I still maintain the worst decision this game ever made was ensuring any CPU character you don't control in your team, gets zero experience, making it necessary to grind the gently caress out of things to an inhumane level.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

I find the combat pretty fine once you unlock most of the trees. The lovely indecipherable mission table can go gently caress itself though.

one of the reasons this game sucks rear end is that it takes an eternity to unlock the full width of a character's fun stuff. It's like asking someone to play 30 hours of really bad missions in a Devil May Cry game to unlock Dante's basic abilities. Even worse, as I've probably posted before, is that AI companions don't get XP, so you need to tediously play every character yourself to level them all up.

AccountSupervisor posted:

I dont know, I came into this game almost a year after launch because I was convinced by the reception it was a complete disaster but after about 80 hours of fun I personally find a lot of complaints about some of the more basic aspects of this games design in the realm of just refusing to engage with it and learn how to play. Its got plenty of flaws and dumb poo poo choices but a lot of the complaints just feel like people are on an endless quest to make everything they personally suck at out to be an issue with the game itself.

I mean yeah, a lot of people don't want to engage with one of the most tedious loving progression systems ever. I'm sure it can be fun if you tough it out for a very long stretch of time but goddamn it's a really big ask of the game when things are designed to take as excruciatingly long as possible.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The main problems I have with playing this game boiled down to 3 things, 2 of which haven't really been addressed.

1) There's just not much to do after the campaign/Wakanda/Hawkeye missions---there are so little actual unique missions and things to do, I think maybe a dozen you just repeat over and over? And worse, only like 3 or 4 supervillains, which were Guy With Gun for half of them. It's nuts we waited this long for Crossbones and Klaw. Drop some weirdos like Graviton and the Wrecking Crew in there ffs.

2) AI teammates on your team in single player not getting even half-XP, necessitating the arduous process of individually playing all the characters to fully unlock their great potential and movesets/modifiers. It was and still is an artificial way to draw out playing the already small list of missions.

3) This one is on me for buying it on base PS4 but this game runs at like 20fps. I bought it on PS4 thinking I'd eventually port it over to PS5 but well, getting a PS5 is harder than originally thought, so for now the game mostly chugs along like it's about to die.

Putting in Spider-Man is cool and all but the amount of content is still middling and the bizarre, unexciting loot system is still getting tinkered with in a way that reminds me of Destiny 1/2's continuous push-and-pull with redoing the entire economy multiple times.

Marvel Heroes, god rest its soul, understood that providing you with a mountain of cocaine was the best course of action---a fuckload of campaigns and missions, a ridiculous wealth of characters and builds, some batshit loot to acquire, and even was starting to provide a really good controller optimization. I'm still sad it got the plug pulled and Marvel's Avengers was the replacement. Maybe someday, some other studio can take the baseline of this one and do something like an X-Men game with less MMO aspects and more dungeoncrawl stuff.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the shading on spiderman is so loving weird, I have no idea how to explain it but he looks like a guy who is wearing a Party City costume.

I realize they didn't want to put too much effort into a Sony Only story pack, I get it, but maybe that speaks volumes about how loving dumb it was to keel over and offer Spider-Man as an exclusive in the first place. I'd sacrifice Spider-Man if it meant getting some other full character with more missions and poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gear is probably the least interesting part of this game. if they want the player count to increase, then double the EXP earned for characters. It takes forever, especially if you're just starting the game, to get to level 15----imo that's when a character's skillset really starts to open up and you get more modular special abilities to select. But getting there, especially when only the active character gets xp, is a huge slog. I can't understand how the developers don't see this as being hugely detrimental but with the lack of areas/missions, the grind is likely the rule of law.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol holy poo poo what in the gently caress are these costumes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-h1ENSM7kQ

huge difference between this and the GOTG game, wherein they gave you classic costumes with references to many comics and alter egos. I think the Eidos team had a lot of passion and knowledge of the IP they were working with while Crystal Dynamics just barely understood what the gently caress the Avengers were, hence the very bad "nonvengers" faces and profiles as well as the completely nonsensical skins most characters have that were designed with seemingly zero thought about who the characters are.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

loving around with spiderman and I can confirm that if you don't own the ps4/ps5 version of this game, don't even bother owning it lol. spiderman is a messy and chaotic pinball that is the dumbest and most fun way to play the game. doubly so if you have a full 4-man team of just spidermans webbing and whipping people all over the loving place. it's a game in itself to see if you can beat up an enemy before another spidey ziplines over to gank them for themselves. his voice actor is hot trash and he doesn't even get his own unique missions but hey, if you have the game sitting around, 4-spidey team is worth seeing at least once for how batshit it is.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Winter Soldier is the most boring choice imaginable--a guy who punches and uses guns, ffs put Vision or Dr. Strange in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

in a game starving for engagement, deciding to make your newest character "guy with guns" instead of the telephasing android, magic sorcerer, or cosmic woman is loving baffling.