Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is the spiderman dlc even guaranteed at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Unfortunately, I think the same fate will befall Gotham Knights as well.

It is absolutely baffling that WB interactive somehow had a perfect blueprint in Arkham Knight and did nothing whatsoever with that engine for years. I would've gladly paid for some B-rate studio to crank out another Good-not-great Arkham Origins or whatever.

I'd love to know what happened there, too.

Also a good reminder at how great Insomniac is at what they do. They've got one of the highest employee retention rates in the industry among AAA studios (really, only Nintendo beats them) and explicitly limit Crunch time.

Important to note that Insomniac asked for more time on Spider-Man multiple times, and Sony somehow gave them that approval again and again. The result clearly paid off (just look at how many units Miles Morales is selling)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They're clearly trying to get these changes in before this launches on new consoles. They're probably anticipating a big spike in sales there which.... lol.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I look forward to know what the 1 - 2 years out road map was once we start hearing the post-mortems.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

PS3 functioned on a "if you bought it during a PS plus subscription, its yours forever" but PS4 switched to needing an active account to play.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I picked up the game for $20 a month or two ago and I somehow snagged a ps5. Will be interesting to see how shiny the next gen upgrade actually is

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I finally started playing the campaign. Boy. How is it possible that every character reminds me of a different, better game I could be playing?

I'm a fierce defender of Sega's old Captain America Arkham ripoff that was critically mauled. And even that did a hell of a lot better job than anything I just experienced.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've been individually bringing over saves and game data from ps4 to ps5 since the new hard drive is the size of a thimble.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd be totally fine with this title just letting me play as Captain America, weirdly enough. But a guardians game just playing as StarLord is a really odd choice.

It somehow looks even more off-brand than the (underrated, totally fine) Telltale's Guardians of the galaxy.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It's not just that, though. Crystal Dynamics' Avengers is very clearly riffing HARD on the cinematic universe. By being so similar, it makes all of the uncanny differences way more awkward.

Insomniac's Spider-Man takes cues from all sorts of places, but from the first five minutes it is very clear you are in a new universe with its own lived in history and characters.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I admire their half-commitment to a single player title, but the only way I'd find it enjoyable if I could burn through the whole thing in co-op with a buddy. Just so we can laugh at the train wreck.

How do none of my attacks, and I mean NONE - have any real impact? The very not-good Sega Captain America game at least made sure Cap's shield was absolutely thunderous whenever i used it .

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I can't get over how every character looks like a Direct-To-Video version of the MCU. They really, really needed to come up with their own "spin" on the materials instead of just making it the same drat universe with the edges filed off.

Comparing this to Insomniac's work is particularly brutal, but Miles Morales' game riffs successfully on Spiderverse and pays homage to it without it ever feeling like a copy.

poo poo, I felt less of a "bad cover band" vibe with Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy, and that was literally "the same as the movies except we can't afford the likenesses or voices".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I just started the campaign and its... good? I mean not the greatest thing in the world but way, way better than I expected.