Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

In at ground floor for Dead Game 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ICR posted:

Yeah you can do everything solo. Every single mode. The story. Everything.

So you can go the entire game and never talk to a single person. So if that’s your bag, you’re good!

Which is good since there is no text chat anyway!

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

one thing I absolutely loving hate is that it seems you can't edit your other heroes unless you're in the mission selection where you are selecting teammates. Like, correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't seem to be just a general menu where I can cycle through heroes and tinker with their skills/gear.

I think it also is a tremendous and amazingly loving stupid thing that you cannot switch on the fly between heroes when it's you and 3 AI companions. I have NO idea why this isn't a thing and is probably the single biggest oversight because it gets boring really really fast when I can only play one in a mission and not set up combos/synergy in an attack at all. Like, why? It was the norm in all the Legends/UA games. The more I think about it this is probably the biggest blight on the game by far.

My guess is its because this game was supposed to be a single player story romp before the execs decided they needed to slap some multiplayer GaaS garbage in it and now its just a hybrid of poop.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I'd probably play more if leveling characters to 50/pl120 was significantly faster, feels like any loot you get before then is basically junk anyway. One thing Anthem did right was tie levels to your account not per character, would make jumping in and trying different characters a lot more compelling for me, but considering it took me 20+ hours to get one character up I don't have much interest running the same repetitive content again and again to get others up.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Do you mean like monopoly or something like GTA where you go round buying up businesses and having them make money? Seems like an odd fit for an Avengers game to me.

Game would really improve with a used Hellicarrier market.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So did anyone else get stuck on the iron man campaign mission where you go into city and have to stand on the pad while waves of enemies rush you because I have been playing on normal and doing overall well enough but the difficulty spike on that part made me go back to easy and I still cannot beat it. :argh:

I managed to beat it by basically dodging nonstop.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

I never ended up picking this up because everything I saw of beta footage completely underwhelmed me, but I guess I'm curious about the frustrations people are encountering now - is this a situation where the game was clearly shoved out way too early and so they're still scrabbling to make 1.0, or is it that other common GaaS problem where they clearly underestimated how long it would take to spin up a dripfeed of content?

Reading about some of the features that they are only just now adding makes me suspect the first but it feels like most game studios have flawed or nonexistent user testing so I'm frequently less and less surprised to see absolutely baffling design decisions make it in to finished products.

It feels like a game that started as a single player story focused campaign, and then halfway through development they had GaaS nonsense shoved on them so they shoehorned in some multiplayer looter shooter stuff. It's probably worth a $20 purchase cause the campaign is actually pretty fun, Kamala is a highlight, the GaaS portion stuff just feels incredibly half baked.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Orv posted:

I do have to wonder how much Chadwick Boseman's death did anything to that. Presumably Black Panther was mid-production and planned as the first release when that happened and I wouldn't be surprised if they never intended to release the co-op reskins of heroes back to back and they're just hosed now on scheduling those. It doesn't excuse the immense series of fuckups they keep making on the design side but that all seems like a pretty safe guess for what happened and woof. Not fun to deal with.

I thought Kate was announced before Boseman's death. Adding Hawkeye as one of the first hero's makes sense considering the MCU focus, and if the game was fun and good and the release schedule was every month or two I don't think people would have been that upset. But well here we are.

Also I like how the XP changes only take place after level 25, so they are concerned people are getting skills to fast so decide to slow them down after they already have half of them. XP was already way too slow, if they had cut in in half I *might* have considered reinstalling, but well here we are.

Looks like my timeline was a bit off, Hawkeye was announced as the first post launch hero back in July, then they went with Kate based I think on the story line.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/07/29/hawkeye-is-the-first-post-launch-hero-for-marvels-avengers

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Lmfao the only timeline they gave on Black Panther is “later this year” if you think that you’re getting Wakanda before November then I have a Game as a Service premium subscription to sell you

Yeah but they totally had Wakanda all ready to go last year, they just postponed it out of respect for Chadwick Boseman.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Marvel Avengers 2015

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Games fixed, everyone reinstall.

https://twitter.com/PlayAvengers/status/1413178177145425927

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Figured I'd try it out with the xp buff and run through the Kate and Clint storylines, gotta say had that been the xp rate at launch I might have played a lot more, that said the large scale combat is still a clusterfuck and incredibly annoying, the combat is great in small scale fights like the Danger room but the 4 player missions are just obnoxious with trying to hold a control point and being sniped and staggered from all sides.

Feels like they really haven't made any changes to the base game mechanics since launch either, some bug fixes I guess, maybe all the attention has been on Wakanda so if that flops game is probably going into maintenance mode.

Fried Sushi fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 30, 2021

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Zil posted:

So where the hell in the game is this explained? I have put about 12 hours into the game and never noticed this.

Apparently it shows up on the one of the tooltips on the loading screens, which who pays attention to those. I had never heard of it either, this video seems to explain the mechanics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CorZS4VkOaw

Also I have 2300 store currency I think from when they gave a bunch out to try to drive hype around launch, and the story has a 50% off sale and there are no costumes I have any interest in, basically have 3-4 costumes per character and then they just recolor them.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Ran through the two Hawkeyes story missions this weekend and enjoyed the game for a bit, then I looked up the best way to continue leveling and gearing up and its the same exact mission people were chain running a week after launch. They better hope Wakanda is a game changer, there are some good elements in the game and the Hawkeyes were actually pretty fun to play and different enough not to feel too repetitive, but there is just not enough unique repeatable content in the game to keep it interesting for more than short periods of time. Also its insane that they nerfed XP because they said new players were being overwhelmed with skill points, the characters really start to feel powerful around level 30 (as an aside that should probably have been the level cap) and now they give a 400% xp buff on a free weekend, I feel sad for those poor confused new players.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I think this was pretty much the last hope for the game, they do have one last card to play with the patrol zones, if they can somehow capture the magic of Midtown Madness from Marvel Heroes it might still have a shot, but I highly doubt that they will.

Somehow they made the UI worse, the new enemies are even less fun to fight than hordes of boring robots.

People mentioned how lame it was to release the Hawkeyes first, oddly enough the Hawkeye characters are my favorites to play, had this been a Tomb Raider like story game focused on the Hawkeyes it probably would have been a blast.

Then you go on reddit and half the posts are gushing about how awesome the Black Panther costumes are, guess the whales will keep it afloat till they churn out Spider Man and any contractual obligations.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

VanillaGorilla posted:

I mean the Hawkeye archetype is fine and all, and I like the “hawk guy” iteration of the character too - my point is that they’re focusing on “low power” characters which feels like a really weird move for an Avengers game unless you have a dogshit combat system.

Like they somehow made Iron Man a punchy punchy character, and all his stuff that gets close to the actual fantasy of being iron man controls/plays like poo poo.

CD was just the wrong developer for this and it’s a shame because someone out there could have made a good Avengers game and now it won’t happen.

I'd agree with that, it feels like the combat system was designed with characters like Hawkeye in mind which is why I think a game focusing on them rather than trying to also fit in Iron Man and Thor would have been better overall, have no idea how they would plan on adding Dr Strange or Wanda with this combat system.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

New Roadmap is out, its as dire as you'd expect, though Spider Mans is 'confirmed' for this year, guess they gotta get that contractual obligation out of the way.

They really needed Wakanda to be a Taken King level expansion, gotta think they go maintenance mode next year. Though I for one am really looking forward to the 'Hawkeye Nameplate Challenge'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I was wrong, game is saved, GOTY even, all for the low low price of $30.