Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ICR posted:

It just makes me wonder what’s happening behind the scenes to have:

- 4 different exclusivity avenues, 3 of which are with phone providers.
- 5,000 copies of the full game given away free via Verizon.
- 5 Gum being chosen as a way to earn artifacts in game amongst other things. And boosts. But yeah, actual gear.

I know there’s more but I’ll stop there. Is this a no faith in your game or just business as usual?

Pretty much every massive game has poo poo like that, only exception I can think of is the Sony first party exclusives and Nintendo as well most of the time (they have tie in poo poo but usually they don't give you in game stuff). Back in the day Halo and Mass Effect had the little codes you got on drinks and doritos and poo poo that got you XP boosts and cosmetics and CoD still does that every year I think, FF7 had some gear and themes you could only get with candy bars in the US and noodles in the UK. Fortnite and the other big battle royale stuff as well as the mobas have all been doing stuff like that for their entire lifetimes respectively. Loads of games have the Amazon/Twitch Prime stuff where you can claim a bunch of free stuff in games if you have amazon prime.

It's poo poo but I don't think it's anything that's going on behind the scenes really, it's companies doing whatever that's going to make them some extra money. Very few people aren't going to play the game cause they did a deal with Virgin Media or Verizon or whatever and they probably made some easy cash off those deals for very little effort. Capitalists gonna do a capitalism wherever and whenever they can basically.

I haven't preordered it so didn't play the beta but I'm hearing a few positive takes from people on here who I generally trust and a similar amount of negatives as well so I'm probably going to give it a go next weekend when it's free to try for everyone. Giving everyone an opportunity to play some of it before it comes out is unusually generous in the modern day, didn't Anthem have the thing where if you preordered the mega edition or whatever you got a few days early access? That proved pretty disastrous when word got out how dogshit it was so they seem at least confident it wasn't going to get a similar reception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
When you’re playing on your own in a mission with the other characters present can you swap between them or are you locked into the one you picked when starting it?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I can't connect my account, it tries to make me link my PSN to a square enix account but I'm pretty sure it already is and trying to do anything on their website right now is actually a clusterfuck. Seems like a thing that will be a problem come launch day as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's hold circle and push in the direction of the enemy to jump over enemies. Pressing it is a little dodge/dash thing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah the AI not caring about those objectives is baffling. I also went down on top of a small ledge and none of the AI bothered to pick me up over 45 seconds, they were beating up the AI and making entire new waves of enemies spawn in instead of just getting me up, would have been amusing if it hadn't made the mission fail.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah that seems unlikely to me, Destiny 2 is the only big one that has gone free to play and that was a pretty unique situation and after 2 years as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The initial 6 characters have their ones unlocked by default as well, so you can get enough credits to unlock another heroes if you want, then max them out and get the credits back. Seems like the least evil way to implement paid cosmetics.

Though blatantly there are going to be a bunch you can only buy with credits, probably at an awkward number leaving you with credits left over or whatever.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 28, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it seems like if you care enough you can get enough from one hero to essentially just keep buying a heroes challenge battle pass thing each time a new one gets added. Since there's 6 heroes in the base game you'll get enough to do that and grab a few skins they're selling if any of them are good. The ones you can "earn" through the challenges seemed alright in the beta, Hulk has his Joe Fixit one for example. I'd probably get that and then never even look at another skin.

One big thing for me is that the battle passes never expiring is a good thing, wish other companies would do that. Making me feel obligated to play is why I burned out on a lot of the other games as a service things.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I don't think they need to pull out anything peak comic book dumb to explain how he's alive, unless the actual game is way different from the beta the situation he's in seems pretty survivable for a super hero. I think they went "lets not make it too crazy because it's completely obvious that he's alive given he's on the front of the box and if you pre order you get a costume for him so trying to make people believe otherwise will just make us look silly like with the Rocksteady/Arkham Knight thing".

I suspect in universe it's going to be the classic "we wanted to try and get the super soldier formula" and AIM has just kidnapped him while he was knocked out from the helicarrier going down and rescuing him is just going to be part of the story, probably after you recruit everyone else.

Very curious if there's going to be 7th Avenger you unlock either as part of the main story or like post game or something. Seems like a missed opportunity if not, especially with Kamala Khan in it as the main character but seemingly no Captain Marvel. I was expecting there to be the classic "kid, you're already an Avenger" speech with her getting the code name at some pivotal moment.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Tensokuu posted:

Full Cap challenge card

What the hell is that Level 9 outfit?

If the thing we're talking about turns out to be the case then that might be what he's wearing when he gets busted out and you get to play him maybe? Either that or it's supposed to be representing the time when he originally got his powers in the machine and then had to fight some nazi's after they kill the scientist guy. Definitely an odd one.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

RatHat posted:

Kinda disappointed there’s no white suit Mr. Fixit for Hulk but I’ll settle for the ones we got.

EDIT: You get 1300 credits from each free challenge card so that’s 7800 if you fully level each character.

There seems to be some confusion about the ones for the base game heroes. They said they're unlocking them and everyone will get them and that challenge cards have credits on them but lots of people on reddit seem to think the base game challenge cards won't have the credit reward parts and only the ones you buy will so like, in order to get started on the recurring battle pass train you have to put in at least 1000 credits or $10.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'll report back on how it runs on an old white base PS4 when it unlocks tomorrow. I enjoyed the beta well enough to take the plunge in the end.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The main campaign was alright, felt like there was some missing scenes or something and they should definitely have had a couple more mook type name villains for AIM just for some variety both in the campaign and then in the post game. To me the game feels like a higher budget one of those licensed games from last gen like the Wolverine Origins movie tie in game or something with a similar amount of jank.

More specifically for the post game there is some real iffy balancing in a couple of the missions I've been doing so far with the random modifiers. Some of them seem like they'd be fine like "all gamma damage sources do more damage" cause it seems like that'd be relatively rare and you can just dodge those specific attacks if you know they're coming but I just had two missions in a row with "all melee damage in increased from all sources" so I was able to kill stuff relatively quickly but the enemies, the stilleto killbots as they are accurately named were absolutely shredding my health in a second or hitting me with tracking lightning and there were like 4 of them and the basic generic shitbots wailing on me while I had to hold a specific zone. I was playing as Kamala and I couldn't even get a second to use one of the shield breaking attacks to even start hurting one of the enemies.

One thing I'm confused about and I feel like it is a symptom of the game not explaining some stuff and having specific weird names for every thing, sometimes when you start a mission there's like a massive area around the actual mission that has the random AIM vaults, high value targets and stuff sort of like a Destiny patrol zone. Is there a way to just go to one of those or see if the mission type has that or whatever? I finished the campaign and am a bit into the post game missions they give you, I'm not sure if one of those will intro what I'm looking for, I thought when you selected the Avengers Initiative there'd be the option to just go to a big open map in each of the zones and just dick about, beating stuff up and getting loot/xp, feel like that'd be an alright thing to do while podcasting rather than stoppy/starty nature of the missions.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 2, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

We Got Us A Bread posted:

The larger missions have the added stuff, they're the Warzones. Dropzones are meant to be the quick, drop in and complete one objective, and done missions. They talked about it in one of the War Rooms (the YT game videos), Warzones are meant to take an hour or two, whereas Dropzones are meant to be 10-20 minutes. HARM rooms are your challenge rooms.

Feel like I've done a couple war zones that didn't have that stuff but maybe I just didn't pay enough attention or I'm mistaken. Looking online it looks like vaults are also quite packed with poo poo to do, I'm on the quest to open those up so I'll continue on with that and see what those are like.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Some stuff will just gently caress you up it feels like or you just get caught in the windup of two enemies taking consecutive swings at you while another guy is shooting at you and you can't dodge it all. Enemies sometimes take a real beating as well and that feels not so fun, especially when they're the squad of five elite guys where killing them is the objective and they have shields that make them not react when you hit them until you knock it off. Those spin tech enemies can get hosed as well, just a big swarm of those drone ones spawning in above you can ruin your day and take away all your heroics.

Bitching aside I am enjoying it, finished the story last night and am just going through the various side stuff and post game stuff and once you start getting some gear with 3 perks each you're at least popping off quite a bit and the characters start to feel more and more distinct as you level as well.

Main concern with the ongoing game, I'm not sure about the longevity of the game just because with how enemies scale sometimes it won't be massively fun at the higher difficulties? Dunno, never liked super tanky bosses or enemies myself. Earlier I did one of the villain sectors and Abomination knocked my ai team mates down and then before I could revive them knocked them through the floor so I couldn't revive them. Meant I had to do the last third of it on my own. Obviously that's a bug but still, sucked.

Then there's some other relatively minor but still annoying stuff like the daily challenges being weird like "kill 25 riot bots" and then those only count if you get the actual killing blow so in multi or with the AI, they will swoop in and steal your kills when you've got whatever it is low. It also really sucks at explaining what the hell you're supposed to do for some stuff, I thought I'd got how to locate/open vaults down but then I couldn't figure out how to get another one to pop.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 4, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I upgrade to get a perk if the gear has one but yeah not any more than that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Am I missing something, or can Iron Man really not break those "hit hard Y punch to break wall" walls? I've been hammering this wall with all the Y attacks I can think of, as well as my special abilities, but it ain't budgin'.

And of course I can't command any of my AI "helpers" to attack the target either, so I guess I'm just not getting that loot.

No he can't normally but I think if you go into the Hulkbuster he might be able to? There's walls/broken doors that Hulk, Thor and Kamala can break, consoles that Iron Man and Black Widow can hack and Cap can gently caress off cause he can't do either apparently.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah drones can be pretty tedious when you can't stay still to get shots on them and are playing a character with poor air combat. When like 5 of those SPIN drones spawn right above your head and instantly pop off rounds that drain your heroics and you're having to hit them one by one that's pretty brutal.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I had an alright session with this game today, no horrendous bugs and didn't encounter any really bullshit balance stuff like enemies stunlocking me to death or being shot from offscreen in a lovely feeling way. When all the stars align, this game is alright.

I hope they fix the bugs, do a balance pass (and ignore the people saying it's a tactical game and people complaining just need to get good, the incoming damage from puny enemies sometimes feels ridiculous) and add some more areas and enemy types. The Hawkeye/Kate Bishop stuff will be an interesting thing to see, I'm expecting it to be more AIM stuff in very similar locations to be honest but hopefully not.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Seedge posted:

Does XP do anything past level 50?

Doesn't seem like it. I would think they'll add a paragon like system cause yeah that seems like a natural thing for this type of game and they have the comics in the game that give you little stat boosts that can stack if you get multiples, could just let you pick one of those each time you level or something.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The finale of the main campaign has an amazing moment for her as well. Her growing giant, impaling the kree sentry on the golden gate bridge and just beating the absolute poo poo out of it was pretty good. I wish they'd had a little bit in between rescuing Cap and that mission to build up MODOK a little more but what's there was good.

She definitely feels like the most fun character to play for me so far, having two forms of on demand emergency healing really helps and her ult feels like the most damaging one.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You can hold triangle with any character to do a charged up attack that breaks shields as well, bit slow so liable to get interrupted by some shithead shooting you but it's an option sometimes.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Sturm posted:

I'm currently working on the Reigning Supreme mission chain and I need to complete the Vault Onboarding to continue.

Looking online they all are telling me to go to missions I don't have to be able to unlock the vaults. And tracking that mission specifically doesn't lead to any assignments. Stuck on what to do next.

Yeah looking up info for this game is a bit of a pain in the rear end right now. Seems like the critical mass of weird informational youtubers haven't bothered with it and all the sites that used to do written guides started using them for info as well so they have nothing as well.

Stark realities is probably the one you're being told to go to when you look online right? That one was the go to last week to get the vaults and I still have it this week, it's a priority mission for me but if you don't have it then that is a bit of a pickle. I've found vault keys in other missions but can't remember off the top of my head.

Just in case you don't know, the vault keys are found in missions that then let you go do vault missions. So like in Stark Realities you have to go to the left of where the mission starts, ignoring the actual objective of the mission and then a little rangefinder thing will pop up and tick down as you get closer, when you find it you get an interactable and then that opens a little vault with a chest that has a vault key in it. Then you can go do a vault mission, to repeat them you have to get another vault key and they respawn so you can just rinse repeat a mission once you find the vault key in it to get them again.

Related, anyone else finding the dailies/weeklies and the requirements for them pretty crazy sometimes? Like I have a Cap one this week to do five vault missions as him and I just, can't be arsed to do that cause that's a lot of a slightly repetitive mission type to do on one character. Then on another character I have "rescue 20 hostages" but I only seem to find them when I'm playing another character and then the daily version of that is "rescue 10 hostages" which is a bit of an ask imo. Then sometimes it's just something you can literally do in a single mission like killing 10 enemies with headshots as cap or taking out 60 enemies while flying as an example. Minor issue compared to some of the other poo poo but just screams that it wasn't playtested in a "is this fun/does this feel good" way cause you could half the requirements sometimes and it'd still be a task.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Hellburger99 posted:

And just to be clear: matchmaking is at least partially busted, right? Or are there really no other people online to do coop with?

No it's fully busted, some people can get the purely random matchmaking to work but for a specific mission it seems pretty busted. I'm not sure cause I didn't bother getting playstation plus until I hear reports it's fixed or Spelunky 2 comes out on tuesday.

As you say though, the core of the game is pretty solid. It just needs way more environments to smash through and some more variety in the enemies imo. Like if the first couple heroes come with missions that have some new locations and then the Wakanda update or whatever has similar then that'll be a good start, get Hydra, the Hand, the Kree and the Skrull all involved with each successive hero or something. Those first couple updates will be very telling in my opinion cause right now this doesn't feel like a game that a bunch of studios spent 4 years working on in terms of content.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
People are speculating there's some sort of multiplier for experience when you have a max level character or that it might be cumulative if you have multiple. Purely anecdotally I do feel like I've gone from levelling up twice per average mission to 3/4 times per mission now that I've got a few at max level, even the super quick drop zones make me level multiple times. If true that'll make levelling Kate and Clint up when they come out a bit quicker.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CommunityEdition posted:

I can’t really see them recouping much of anything on cash cosmetics. There’s neither context nor real personalization; I kind of feel like the cosmetics (and maybe exotics?) would really benefit from some flavor text telling me what’s being represented.

I've seen enough people complaining that the game took away poo poo they'd bought (which is an insane bug to have in a shipping game) that I suspect they're doing alright on that front, well if those people aren't so pissed off that they never buy anything again. They won't have been expecting some crazy large amount of people to buy stuff, just the 5% or so who go nuts for stuff like this to get hooked into this game as their choice of things to flush cash down the toilet on.

Personally I think they did an alright job of making it so the stuff you can get for free is at least cool as well. Like the skins you get for levelling the characters up to 50 or for finishing the heroes battle pass are all good enough for me to not really ever think of buying anything for real money.

However I do agree with the person on the previous page that the game feels pretty dead already, there's just not enough content to sustain this sort of grindiness and after the patch hit I logged in and saw that I'd gotten a bunch of weeklies that were pretty poo poo to do, the refresh option wasn't there for them, probably cause I'd used it earlier on in the week on challenges that had disappeared and only Ms Marvel was strong enough to do the elite vault quest I have to do to continue the post game big objective and I wanted to play someone else so I went "meh, can't be arsed to play today" and haven't felt the pressing need to go back since. I'll probably check back in every so often to progress the challenges for the heroes if I don't have lovely challenges when I decide to check and then whenever they add Kate to the game, see what her missions are like and how she plays but probably only briefly unless they add a substantial chunk of content at the same time.

Like it's crazy to me that they had 3 studios working on a game set in the Marvel universe and they apparently have access to whatever they want and for the multiplayer post game thing that they want to be this huge games as a service thing they made about 3 or 4 chunks of generic forest, desert, tundra and two cities and then some underground labs that could belong to any villain organization and said "yeah that's about right". Where's the crazy huge space station (you go there in the single player and I had one mission take me there in the post game, not seen it since but even that is just some corridors), the dark dimension, the savage land, etc? Even just Madripoor would have been something. Wakanda pretty much has to be substantially different from anything currently in the game to impress me at all.

Miss the days in Marvel Ultimate Alliance where the first mission of the second chapter was you invading Dooms castle suspiciously early in the game where he's the big bad and halfway through it turns out to be a fake castle, Arcade has just been tricking you the entire time, it turns into a giant pinball table and you fight the Rhino and Shocker. I know games require a lot more work these days graphically and such so it's not comparable at all but that game had you going to Atlantis, Asgard, Dooms Castle fake and real, the Skrull homeworld, the Shiar homeworld and some other places as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Any chance they'll let us play the main campaign over? I don't really care about the equipment grind or whatever, I'd just like to replay the campaign.

They are apparently working on that. Seems like they didn't expect anyone to want to replay it so it's a feature they're going to have to actively work on and add in a patch.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

hamsystem posted:

Until I know how they're handling the saves for ps4 to ps5 version I'm just gonna take a break. It's not like there's much to do anyways and hopefully by the time they sport it out there will be a property endgame.

Do you mean like monopoly or something like GTA where you go round buying up businesses and having them make money? Seems like an odd fit for an Avengers game to me.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
When a new character gets added though, won't the majority be trying to play as them?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Basically seems like it's a combination of multiple things. They delayed some amount of the post release stuff that was probably mostly done cause of the amount of bug fixes, quality of life issues and reworks they had to scramble to implement in the window after the release. That stuff was probably "done" but just as shaky quality wise anyway because the games spit and polish period was right in the middle of the covid lockdown plus the game obviously had a shaky development in general.

Now it's come out that the game sold nowhere near what they were expecting and so there's probably a genuine conversation being had about if they can cut it loose or if they should keep investing development time and budget into it. I expect the Hawkeyes to come out and the Spiderman playable character next year cause that might be a contractually obligated thing or they spent x amount on it and can't justify not putting it out but everything else might just get dropped.

Like they'll never get to "launch" again and get that initial buzz which they were hoping would sustain interest and get say 5% of the playerbase to buy costumes and battle passes and stuff so it's very hard to imagine being able to convince Square to keep chucking money at it. Maybe if those next gen upgrades had been ready they'd have been able to capitalize on the next gen console players being hungry for stuff to play but there's enough decent games coming out that even that's hard to imagine.

This is one of those games where I've love to hear some behind the scenes, very candid stuff about what it was like working on it. Cause surely there were people saying "this has nowhere near enough content or variety to sustain the sort of playerbase we apparently expect/want?" and did they just get entirely ignored or what.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
She looks pretty fun to play but like, what's there to play her in? Looks like she has a couple missions accompanying her, they look a little different environment wise based on the video but not drastically and then it'll be back to the usual missions with one more location in the rotation. Then this is all coming 3 months after the release of the game which was already quite short on content. Definitely not seeing them climbing out of the pit they've put themselves in at this rate.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

FFXIV was a complete dumpster fire on release and SquareEnix took a massive loss on it. They then poured even more money into shutting it down and rebuilding it, and now it's a very popular MMO. Avengers needs that treatment.

I don't see them wanting to use that sort of money tbh, with FF they saw it as their own companies flagship IP with all the merchandise and poo poo and were worried it was going to gently caress that permanently so spending the insane amount of money was deemed worth it but with Avengers it's undersold on release (I assume the initial release of FFXIV at least sold well relative to the market at the time so they probably at least made some money off that as well, was only when they saw what the sub numbers were going to be a month or two in that they started to panic) and has completely failed to get any momentum going. Any sequel or relaunch/rerelease will require them to keep pumping money into the current game in the state it's in and deal with Disney being Disney for a series they ultimately don't own and won't see a lot of the profit from.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 8, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Moola posted:

what really sucks is the moment to moment combat is mostly pretty awesome

Yeah once you get all the combos and powers unlocked the characters actually do feel pretty fun to play but as you say, it's all in service of nothing cause there's not enough enemy/environment/mission variety for this sorta game.

Related, in prime "the devs don't seem to understand what is good about their own game" news, they're apparently patching the game at some point in the future, presumably when Hawkeye the second gets added and the major change they're doing is making levelling.... slower after level 25. Apparently they're worried and have analytics or feedback that new players find "getting too many powers at once confusing" which probably means "we have to stretch out this content somehow"?

Personally I found it insanely loving irritating how slow it was and the idea they're making it slower is absolutely mad, I had everyone at max but haven't played since they added Kate so with that change they've made coming back and playing as new characters very unappealing and I was already not particularly disposed towards coming back at all. Too many good games to play ultimately.

As somebody else said, any changes they're making on that level feels like prime "rearranging chairs on the titanic" territory cause your problem isn't new players being confused by being given too many options. Seems to me the problem will be getting new players at all. With the fact that the first two characters you've added in the 7 months post release when you have access to every Marvel character are two archers who do seem fun but don't quite have the wow factor of say, Captain Marvel, Ghost Rider or Scarlet Witch or whoever.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 4, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah that's what I was talking about, I guess I should've linked it but I'd already closed the tab I read it on and going back to find it was more effort than I was willing to expend. Just absolutely baffling stuff.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They put out another statement about the levelling changes to try and clarify what they meant and it managed to say nothing and also make it sound somehow even worse?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-08-marvels-avengers-developer-seeks-to-better-explain-reasons-for-increased-xp-grind

My favourite quote is this one in a statement that's trying to make this sound good. "After the XP changes are applied, players are designed to level up every "2-4 missions" when at higher levels, as opposed to "once or twice per mission" currently".

I must admit this game is my guilty pleasure in some small way, I stopped playing it a week after it came out but I still follow news about it for some reason and I really am curious what the development must have looked like, what's driving the decisions right now, why they chose two Hawkeyes as the first two additional characters, etc.

Like that decision could be justified in a game with a larger roster maybe or one with more of a focus on dialogue and story so the distinctions between Kate Bishop and Clint are starker whereas in this they seem like they're both "bow users who are also martial artists in a game with Black Widow already" but as it is you're just left baffled that they picked them when they supposedly had free reign to pick whoever they wanted.

Same with the villains, it's a game where they want you to fight bosses again and again like dungeons in WoW or rifts in Diablo, soooo they have Taskmaster and Abomination and some big boring robots and call it good? Why not have the Wrecking Crew, Crossbones and some lower level tech villains as mooks that show up occasionally. Or some mini MODOK clones to reuse some of those animations, etc?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It also does have some variety, like the PVP, strikes and patrol zones are all pretty decent and look different. You got some different enemies to shoot (they have been leaning on them for too long now though). You compare it to Avengers and it's a rough ol comparison.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Twibbit posted:

Trying to think of other villain groups for them, and a lot of them I can't imagine being that different from the AIM crew really. Hydra is just evil scientists that are also nazis. Just would be a pallet swap.

There's loads. You could have the Hand? Ninjas and spooky spirit stuff. Any number of aliens like the Kree who already have a presence in the game, Badoon, Dire Wraiths, etc. Could have magic poo poo like Mindless Ones opening a portal to our dimension. Vampires if you want to get a bit silly (and add Blade in the future). You could have High Evolutionary and his genetically modified ani-men.

Hydra you could do differently from AIM as well, lots of human waves. Maybe have officers who buff their goons, some weird vehicles like Cobra have in GI Joe and then a decent proper boss, Strucker or Red Skull or something.

You're not wrong that this company probably could just make any of the things I mentioned a palette swap of AIM and probably will because this game seems to be limping along right now but it requires a bit of a lack of imagination to give them an excuse for why they couldn't make some more diverse enemies to fight.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Lol Shaun Escayg is leaving back to Naughty Dog. Maybe wasn't the right environment for him.

Guess this game and anything after it is done.

Imagine how depressing that'd be as one of the lower level people working on this game, manager escape hatches back to his old company and you're stuck working on this guff.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 25, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I enjoyed MUA 3 even less than this game and I was a big fan of the older ones. It's got more of a musou feel almost, lots of little enemies and then really spongey big guys and it has the incredibly baffling decision to make the characters you aren't using not level up at all. Whenever you unlock new heroes they're at the level you're vaguely supposed to be so you can switch to them right away but if you end up feeling like you want to switch back later on then you have to grind it up in older levels you've already played since there's no scaling (or use these consumable XP cubes to get them a little bit caught up). I was really, really disappointed in that game. It has a much better variety of enemies and environments than this game obviously though but that wasn't enough to carry it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is Ultimate Alliance back? Pretty sure that "remastered" collection from 5 or 6 years back also got delisted so they've been delisted twice.

For Guardians, honest answer is no one can say but it can happen very suddenly so if you really want it for sure, grab it now since I'm sure a physical copy can be gotten on sale somewhere. They probably would give a warning though.