Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Retrowave Joe posted:

I enjoyed the brief time I got to play as Cap in the beta, and will still probably get the game when it comes out. Aside from the gameplay issues others have brought up, my biggest complaint (and I know it’s trivial) is Cap’s shield and suit design.

It looks like someone thought they could make the design “cooler” without understanding the basis of the original design. The stripes on the suit and shield reflect the American flag, where the stripes are of equal widths. Having two thick red stripes and a thin white one of the shield looks off. So does the red pinstriping on the torso. The American flag doesn’t have red white and blue stripes... see below for the original and some fan photoshop of the MCU costume for references. Anyway, I know it’s pedantic, but it just grates on my eyes.

Are any of the movie costumes in the game? It may be a licensing issue ($$$) like the actors' likenesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

twistedmentat posted:

The more I think about it the less certain either way. Did I like it? I dunno, Iron Man felt really bad to play as, Hulk sections seem more intersted in him leaping around grabbing onto the wall than HULK Smash, also the graphics looked great in some sections and then others they look like Ps1 graphics. Dodging was kind of iffy, with it only going off about half as many times as I tried Did I hate it? Thor was super fun to play as, being able to move around meowmeow with the mouse to smack more than one enemy felt great, widow fighting felt really good, and when hulk was smashing it was crazy fun. Kamala being front an center is a huge plus as well.

I guess all I can do is just see what the release reviews are like. Maybe it will be a satisfying single player and new characters will keep you playing. Or maybe it will be a horrible mess like launch Battlefront 2 or Legend of War.

I thought Iron Man played better once you unlocked some of his other weapons, rockets and lasers that you can switch to on the fly with dpad right/left, but all the multiplayer stuff is just so repetitive. I liked the intro mission a lot and the singleplayer stuff was decent too, but the enemy variety isnt good, do you ever fight a boss in multiplayer?

I'm still interested in the game but want to see what the full game offers and what they plan for the future.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mandrel posted:

iron man seems like he should be fun to play but his controls are so loving bad and the aiming is so terrible it just feels awful

it’s insane that as much money goes into these franchises that we’ve gotten exactly two that have been any good (Arkham and Spider-Man), and the rest aren’t even like replacement level. like how much money did this project take when absolutely everybody from the moment it was debuted accurately assessed that if looked like poo poo. wild

Did we forget Lego Marvel???

I sure hope there’s a quick join on release.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Liar Lyre posted:

Just watched the end. Last boss fight is pretty dumb and funny. Like the movies, there's a mid-credit scene. Honestly, playable Marvel movie doesn't seem like a terrible comparison.

But this just came out today? So what the campaign is like 8 hours long? 6 hours??

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Can you replay the campaign missions?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Unlucky7 posted:

I did genuinely like what I played of the beta, but I still feel like an idiot for getting the full game. At least it will give me 15-20 hours of entertainment I suppose.

Yeah same. But I'm a sucker for superhero poo poo, every morning I wake up and open palm slap a dvd into the slot. Its avengers and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside with the main characters iron man thor black widow hulk captain america. I do every move and I do every move hard. makin wooshing sounds when I slam down some chitauri or even when i mess up technique. Not many can say they escaped a wormhole in the sky. I can. I say it and I say it outloud everyday to people in my college class and all they do is prove people in college class can still be immature jekrs. and ive learned all the quips and ive learned how to make myself and my apartment less lonely by shouting them all. 2 hours including wind down every morning

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
On PC and it has crashed once and that's on the last mission, but there have been two or three times the game like paused for a few seconds.

Haven't finished the last mission yet but the campaign has been a lot of fun, I've really enjoyed it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

RatHat posted:

Beat the campaign, pretty good. One thing at the end doesn't make sense though: When the hell was that picture of all the Avengers and Kamala at A-day taken? We see her whole time there and she never meets them all at once.

Also it's dumb the credits can't be skipped. EDIT: Oh it was just loading.

Just assume they're cardboard cutouts

I beat the campaign too last night and it was really good; I didn't know anything about Kamala Khan before this game but she was super endearing and I agree with others saying making her the focus was the right decision. I like that they gave everyone a part in the last battle. Had one bug where some enemy was just falling off endlessly during the Hulk section but a restart checkpoint fixed it. Also LOL at it having a mid credits scene for sequel bait just like the movies.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Azubah posted:

The best part is the non-online portion, don't get this for the multiplayer yet.

Yeah this

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

marshmallow creep posted:

My friend who mained Cap updated the game and it CTD'd four times without letting him join single player or multi.

Playing first mission since the patch, Thor's iconic mission solo, and crash 20 mins in. Ugh, what a mess.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I can't even get any kind of matchmaking to work, opening up a mission or selecting quickmatch, nothing has worked all day :argh:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

IcePhoenix posted:

My only context for Squenix is what they allowed Yoship to do with FF XIV so notoriously reasonable seems accurate to me :v:

I feel like this is a game that my friends and I will play occasionally either during lulls between big games or when we decide we all want to group up to do a specific thing and I'm ok with that. It might take me a while to max out some characters but that's ok.

Also regarding cosmetics, I feel like they would probably sell a lot more if they cut the price on most of them in half. I don't think I can ever see myself spending $10+ on a skin.

Definitely feels like a game I'll keep installed and play some rounds every other week for the foreseeable future. I hope it lasts, game hasn't been out long enough to make any kind of a judgement. I also hope we aren't waiting forever for heroes like Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Dr Strange, War Machine etc. Finished the campaign and I just got captain america almost all his main ability talents and finished his iconic questline, and am around ~27 hours played I think. Plan to do the same for the others.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread about the game's MCU links and how the Black Widow movie would've been out for a while and Taskmaster would've been a generally known character from the movie. My worry is that all the GaaS stuff the plan would've been to release heroes around their new movie release or whatever to drum up interest. Maybe we'd get Wanda/Vision around their tv show and Falcon/Winter soldier when their TV show released, but what about the others? Hopefully we will get an idea after they release the first new heroes.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ketchup vs catsup posted:

My issues boil down to 2:

- matchmaking. it's 3 weeks today since release and matchmaking takes minutes and most of the time gets me 1 player who's either much higher or much lower power level than me. This shouldn't be that difficult.

- the handful of environments and room types. last night I saw three sabotage missions that each had exactly the same layout. it's getting to when I zone into a mission there's a good chance I can predict exactly what shape the map will take, and my highest power level character is 67.

I had one day where the matchmaking was working for me but now I'm getting the same thing you are. It sucks because it was really cool playing with a full group of people, and some used the in-game voice chat too. My game time can be haphazard when I can/can't play so random people matchmaking is a must-have.

I finished getting all the prologue/iconic outfits for everyone, it was good practice playing everyone other than just my favorite. I probably had the hardest time with Widow because aiming with a controller even with aim assist can be tough, but they were all fun.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
How exactly does the scaling work? I am not high level and I think the match difficulty will scale to the lowest level(??), but what about items? Is it still worth it for high level players to play with a low level person? Is there no worthwhile xp or items to gain?
The poo poo matchmaking is so frustrating. Had multiple times when I tried to play earlier today that the countdown would go to 0, then starts over again from 5, and nothing would ever happen :negative:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Moola posted:

I wish anyone played this, or the match making worked at all

I really enjoy the combat loop in this game, it's become my goto "I'm bored what can I do to kill time" game

Agreed. Tried to play and listen to a podcast yesterday but it was a no-go. There will be more people playing whenever they release new characters/content and I hope the matchmaking is fixed by then, it's stupid as heck that it's still broken a month after release.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Good Citizen posted:

I'm not sure how people are still having trouble finding games. It's 10:15pm pst on a monday and I'm still getting full games in less than a minute at power level 145

Ps4 / Xbox/ steam ???

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Moola posted:

must be nice, I leave matchmaking on and go make a cup of tea and nobody is there. Steam

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Seems like the game has been largely abandoned on PC. It's not even in the Steam top 100 anymore. Steamcharts shows the current 24 hour peak as 2,400 players. Ouch.
Yeah Steam matchmaking has been broken since release, no surprise a lot less are playing it now. I’ve had only a handful of full matches, weeks ago. They really should’ve held off its pc release, broken matchmaking and bugs galore.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s dissapointing because the actual campaign is legit really good and the characters all play like, well, the actual characters. But they went hard for games as a service while completely making GBS threads the bed on the endgame stuff that actually motivates those kinds of games.

They really shouldve held off on release

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Invalid Validation posted:

Sad thing is you know the next heroes are just going to be slight variations of the heroes already in game cause they sure as poo poo won’t build anyone from the ground up. Boy Spiderman sure does look like he grapples the same way Black Widow does. Must be a coincidence.

You think there's going to be more heroes??

They might dump Spiderman next for whatever Sony obligations they may have and wash their hands of the game, but who knows, we will find out sometime after Hawkeye if they will actually try to fix their missteps with the game.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Codependent Poster posted:

Everyone feels better once you get more skills unlocked too. Kamala is fun all the way through, but the others don't feel right until you open up the skill tree.

Yeah this, lots of the characters feel meh until you flesh out their skill trees a bit. Another reason why slowing leveling is dumb, so many basic attack moves locked behind skill points.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

RagnarokZ posted:

It was briefly on sale, 60% off, steam numbers went up to just above 2000.

Well done, I guess at this stage, everyone who wanted to try the single player campaign have pretty much already done it.

I anticipate maintenance mode within a matter of months.

Also, Outriders on Steam? Shedding about a thousand players every single day.

I guess not of these games are...serviceable. :)

Companies chasing that GAAS success like they did with MMOs of yesteryear; it's hard to make a good one and launch with enough content to compete with the already established successes of the market.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

!Klams posted:

PLAYABLE MODOK WHEN

Have they made him into a random boss mission yet because they shouldve ages ago

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So due to poor judgement and boredom I bought this game at 60% off, really just to finish the campaign since I heard it was decent. But I just unlocked the wartable and did some lovely Siberia mission. I hope that isn't the end of the story arc? I failed the mission for mysterious reasons so I turned it off for the night.

Unless you’ve fought MODOK then no you’re not done. The game does force you to do some of the generic multiplayer missions to advance the story; there’s a button to show mission storyline progress when browsing missions there and that should tell you how much you need to do.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Avengers’s likeness did feel weird at first but after a few missions it didn’t bother me anymore and I’d expect the same from the gotg game

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I haven't played for a while, but i finished the main campaign and I think I never knew this, lmao.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I kept a set of lower level gear because a friend was interesting in playing; everytime multiplayer worked when I was solo and I was grouped with some max level person theyd just waste everything and it was boring, if there was supposed to be scaling it didnt work, and if my buddy ever picked up the game I wanted to be able to drop down my gear level.

NOTE he never picked it up :negative: but I still think it was a good idea

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

DLC Inc posted:

2) AI teammates on your team in single player not getting even half-XP, necessitating the arduous process of individually playing all the characters to fully unlock their great potential and movesets/modifiers. It was and still is an artificial way to draw out playing the already small list of missions.

I had not played for a while and thought to start the Black Panther content last weekend but after a while I knew I didn't want to spend all the time leveling up another hero, even partially, it's really not a fun goal. I really like how the heroes play but it's so different once they have all their moves they really shine.

I ended up uninstalling but maybe I'll go back to it in a couple months. There's lots of heroes I would've liked to have seen in the game like Dr Strange and Ant Man but I don't think it will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

eliotlucas posted:

I almost wish they'd do the same with other characters. I'd rerun old missions if they kept dumping characters in the game at a steady drip.

I would've liked to see them unceremoniously dump more characters ASAP since release, lots of characters we will never get to see.