Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
12/10 Man Tag
Swole vs Reba
Best Friends vs The Best
Mox vs Darby
View Results

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ChrisBTY posted:

Almost of AEW's women's roster is either injured, in exile or bad and they arn't in a position to reinforce it with capable workers. It's in a bad state and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

There's really not a lot they can do right now. They were pushing Stat and Britt and both of them got injured. Riho and Yuka are stuck in Japan. Who is there to put on TV? You can't run Shida vs. Nyla every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Eat My Fuc posted:

Like why announce your women’s fan club today then only have one brief segment which was good but it just comes off tone deaf. Their men’s division is fine that’s why to me bringing in mediocre at best Cardona is lame when you should be spending a lot of money to bring WWE’s stars of their women’s division over the same way WCW took Nash and Hall, or hell the same way WCW took ECW’s best they should be taking NXT’s any way they can to build this thing.

So....they should engage in contract tampering?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

xbilkis posted:

They should sign better women.

Oh, well, problem solved!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Orange Carlisle posted:

I'm sure Bischoff is fine as a presenter or whatever but so far Khan has been smart about not repeating the bad parts of wrestling history and getting Bischoff wrapped up in your poo poo is never a good idea

Tony strikes me as smart enough to never give the guy a whit of actual power, so whatever. He wasn't offensive tonight but I also don't really need to see him ever again. It was a fun little cameo, it doesn't have to be more than that.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Hall and Nash or ECW people? Then I don’t know and i’m sorry for being wrong.

My original point stands AEW should spend real money to get stars from WWE/NXT and feature women more irregardless of their roster situation. That’s my opinion.

I mean I don't disagree, but you do know WWE is sewing all of these people up for 5 years right now specifically so they don't go to AEW, right?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's the tricky part. You want to honor and celebrate the fun parts of wrestling history, and the people in it, but some of the people in that history should not be let anywhere near the levers in charge, or even given too much exposure.

I remember the initial pops around Shane McMahon's return. Like it seemed fine at the time, y'know?

Shane and Bryan as the babyface authority of SD was genuinely fun until *checks watch* wow, look at that, mid-2017.

Huh.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw it is August and I am now going to begin my campaign for Jon Moxley: Wrestler of the Year 2020 and it will ramp up in obnoxiousness as we get closer to award season, so. Just a heads-up on that.

Anyway, Jon Moxley is the best wrestler of the year so far.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

Kenny Omega has been so much better and it isn't even close.

Mox is bringin' in the ratings and the buyrates, MRT. Kenny can hang out with Hiromu and Shingo in Most Outstanding. :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Am I the only one who thinks the Rough Ryder is a cool move you can do on anybody?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Alaois posted:

I buy it a lot less as a finisher when he does a tiger bomb in the same match

I mean if you're gonna tell me a guy who does a tiger driver should be using it as a finisher, you got me there because the tiger driver owns.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think the extent to which live sports was gonna murder pro wrestling may have been overstated.

Also we now know once and for all - Sidney Crosby, not a draw.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NienNunb posted:

With this number, and his other consistent numbers, I'm joining the "Mox for Wrestler of the Year" campaign.

Hell yeah brother.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Probably not a great idea to keep driving all the people running the company off of social media.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Guys, the AEW Heels Mafia just busted up my store and said if I don't pay for the Zoom calls they'll be back. :gonk:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
*flips over a table, hurls obscenities at MRT, rips a 'MOX 2020' poster off of the wall, storms out of the thread*

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

OctoberCountry posted:

Going from the Observer

Q1: 12 man tag vs Kai/Ripley
Q2: Tag ending, Mox interview, Start of Best Friends/PNP vs Kai/Ripley ending and post match, Reed/Thorne
Q3: Best Friends/PNP vs Fandango kidnapping, Robert Stone interview, start of Priest/Lorcan/Holland
Q4: MJF campaign center, Hardy/Guevara angle, PNP trashing Sue's van vs the rest of Priest/Lorcan/Holland
Q5: Cody and Cardona/ Silver and Reynolds vs Lee/Grimes
Q6: Jericho/Cassidy debate w/ Bischoff vs Kross/Lee angle and Escobar's group beating up Breezango
Q7: Post debate, Baker interview, Rebel/Swole squash vs McAfee showing up, Hartwell/Nox
Q8: Moxley/Allin vs TUE/Imperium and the McAfee/Cole angle

Oof. Best Friends really died. :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh no, AEW is going to get canceled now, how terrible, what will the show that does top 5 in the demo every week do then? I guess it'll just fade into obscurity because TNT is the only network on TV :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I mean, what other tv channels would be comparable to TNT/TBS though? FX is a no go.

I dunno, just make sure it's part of my Sling package.

I get Paramount. Paramount would be fine.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Who's the new TNT executive?

MY -- MY GOD

THAT'S GEORGE BARRIOS' MUSIC!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Boy, howdy, though. The timing on that contract extension. That's gonna go down as the most important day in AEW history, probably.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The idea of a pay-to-join club being taking advantage of people or a grift instead of a way to keep shitheads out is hilarious coming from literally anyone choosing to post on this subforum instead of facebook or reddit.

Right???? I'm sympathetic to the fact that AEW Heels is pretty pricy and should probably have a monthly model, but. I would think if any group of people would understand the concept of a paywall to keep the riff raff out!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

Why do people keep bringing up the bold part as if it's a pro? Networks are shitcanning almost any content not owned by themselves left and right these days, because if you don't own it, you might end up losing the streaming rights to someone else, and you're also not making as much money off it as you could.

Because people are comparing this to WCW getting canned by Kellner. Kellner canned WCW despite it doing decent (I guess?) ratings, because the company itself was a massive money pit for Turner. The point is that WCW and AEW are not analogous in this situation.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/report-aew-matched-contract-offer-wwe-presented-rey-mysterio

AEW is apparently willing to match WWE's offer to Mysterio.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/AndyNemmity/status/1291940728239583232

Thread on Kenny's talk. Apparently he says EVIL looks like a villain from Ghostbusters 2. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh hey, other stuff does demo slapfighting too.

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1292116584249491457

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I heard Sturgis and Jericho, is Hog Wild back?!

(was this concert at least outside?)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jericho can go ahead and retire any time now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

I hope not he is extremely entertaining.

The seat belt metaphor is very apt. People aren't going to change their behavior until they are made to. I can't get mad at the people at the bars and the beaches and doing whatever at this point when Chuck Schumer is on TV calling for the deaths of tens of thousands of school kids. Yeah, it's dumb, but what can I expect at htis point? When the government is telling people it's fine, and even the supposed opposition party is telling people dying is good for the economy I can't expect more from one of the dumbest people alive.

I mean putting to one side how problematic this is, at this point, he's risking derailing a highly built up TV main event that is presumably going to be a launching pad into the upper part of the card for one of his co-workers. It's just stupid.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Here's a thought. Who's gonna be the first homegrown star in AEW?

I'm starting to think it's gonna be Angels and/or Vance.

Promoter encouraging the talent to make frivolous purchases so they will need the wrestling business to pay it off. Dastardly.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

IcePhoenix posted:

This was posted in the social media thread but god drat more people need to watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwjfFKQBiIk

This is definitely at least partially a shoot.

Lamuella posted:

How strictly are we defining "homegrown"? Guevara had done national TV (Lucha Underground, AAA) and a Japanese tour with DDT but wasn't exactly a household name. Jungle Boy had some GCW matches and a few PWG appearances but nothing high profile. Darby Allin was clearly a name to watch and had wrestled for the likes of Progress and Evolve.

If you're meaning homegrown as in trained by AEW trainers, then the options get smaller, yeah. I think Angels is going to be something. Will Hobbs could be a major player if they use him right.

We are defining homegrown as none of the guys in the first paragraph are homegrown for the reasons you outlined.

If any appreciable amount of people responded to an AEW signing with "Oh, I'm glad they got them." then it's not homegrown.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Swerve, the google maps images were actually just screencaps from BTE 200.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Eat My Fuc posted:

What if Vince sent Jericho to AEW to kill it, A LEEEEEETHAL DOOOOOOSE OF POOOOOOOISON

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Duke Pukem posted:

Marty killing a gay man,

Uh.

What.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Holy poo poo, it's still three loving days 'til Wednesday.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hefty Leftist posted:

does anyone else intensely dislike Orange Cassidy's new theme

Yes but only because being denied BOWIBBITI BOWIBBITI BOWIBBITI BEST FRIENDS makes me so angry that I get intense headaches. I thought him coming out to their theme with the super low effort tron was perfect.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

yea ok posted:

Lol. WTF are the mods of this place doing

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say they should probably take those three days and throw them at someone else.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

smarxist posted:

Also this weeks BTE was loving great, I loved the long intro to 50+ and the segment as well, also Dark Order continues to dominate, them stealing the Elite's commercial was great, Silver no selling Uno, and my biggest laugh was Brodie stalking into the room for the first time and having to re-arrange the guys because they weren't standing in the right order lmao

In a very funny episode, the funniest thing was the Lumis joke.

STAC Goat posted:

It seemed weird to me already that the match was happening on Dynamite, let alone "Tag Appreciation Night." Like maybe it was AEW thinking they needed a main event or having something else in mind of the PPV, but that doesn't seem reflective of AEW's view of their tag division and I can't see what bigger match either guy could have by the PPV. And a rubber match feels unnecessary and potentially counter productive to me.

I was honestly figuring they might do a time limit draw on TV and blow it off at the PPV. Now I think they should just push it to the PPV although it's extremely loving embarassing to have to kill a built up TV main event because Jericho is an idiot.

I appreciate this post CJ2 and I agree with the sentiment. I don't want to second guess J-Ru and Junpei too much because I know what they do is really hard and I appreciate them a lot but I genuinely think equal probes was not the call here, especially given the, uh, very hosed up thing that was said completely out of nowhere and completely unwanted and un-asked for.

Aphrodite posted:

Sometimes you win the Oscar for a lesser work as a reward for a full body.

The ol' Leo DeCaprio 3-day. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That Walter discussion was really frustrating because it was difficult to express "there are red flags around this guy that make me nervous" without it being taken as "this guy is a white supremacist" so it just got totally out of control, which is the entire loving point of dogwhistles like the 👌emoji. Similar stuff happened with Luchasaurus' lameass gimmick that, thankfully, I think somebody smartened him up on and he dropped.

I like to think we as a subforum have improved on that stuff. I know I personally have.

My feelings on WSAE are kinda complicated and I don't think this is the place for us to all start airing whether or not they should be roverted out of the subforum, so uh, I think maybe we should just cut that discussion now before it turns into another nasty derail.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's like when somebody was making the SD match cards as ridiculous as possible.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
rip Dasha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

oh but seriously I posted:

does everybody need to do a stunner/cutter?

noice finish

Stundog Millionaire