Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Death From Above
Mar 29, 2009

All The Way

Hey fellow brewers, I am having a hell of a time reaching my target OG. I found a Blue Moon clone recipe (https://blog.eckraus.com/blue-moon-...tract-all-grain) hat looked simple and good tasting.

Specs I should be hitting

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.4%

Specs I actually hit 3x now:

OG: 1.030 (modified with sugar to 1.044)
FG: 1.01
ABV: 4.76%

I heated my mash tun up to 165 degrees for an hour, as I brought my actual strike water up to temp to 170. I drained the old water and put in the strike water, and mashed for 60 minutes. I added 21 drops of beta amalayse to the mash tun (5 drops per gallon of water - 4.25 gallons of water). Every 20 minutes, stirred the mash. At 60 minutes, I drained and rinsed the grain bed and drained off the wort + rinse water into the boil kettle, making a total of 7.5 gallons of wort. Boiled it for an hour, took my sample wort, let it cool, and my OG reading was 1.030. So I added sugar to bring up the total OG to 1.044 but stopped at that point, since adding sugar is a cardinal sin. According to the recipe, I should hit 1.055. 1.030 is way off from 1.050. Even with the amalayse I didn't expect to get to 1.050, but I would have expected to get a slightly higher gravity reading from the last 2 times I made this... and I have not.

I think it's me, but I can't find where in the heck I am going wrong with this.... any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

DFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SHUT
THE
FUCK
UP!
BIIITCH!

I was super excited this was going to be about blue moon ice cream cuz I love blue moon ice cream and I cracked the recipe for it finally.

Anyway idk anything about beer so good luck op

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

There's also a pretty active brewing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3437782 I'm sure they could help you there too!

Also I was intrigued by the idea of a malty, yeasty clove/banana-flavored ice cream with maybe a hint of hop, but then I realized Casu was talking about the blue ice cream.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Are you sure that your hydrometer is accurate? You also want to make sure that the hydrometer isn't sticking to the side of the test jar, I've seen that happen.