Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
wow lowtax made up a story and people latched on to it to shut down a subforum, never heard that poo poo before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

What did lowtax exactly say when this was supposedly going down?

something about how LF had caused the secret service to visit his house 4 times because of posters threatening to kill the president or something

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a Loving Dog posted:

it was twisty, and he cried so hard when the secret service visited him that I think they found him so pitiable they just left him alone after that

lmao

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i thought it was pretty common knowledge fyad weirdos got upset lf was more popular and convinced lowtax and whoever else to let them try to ruin it and chase everyone off the last year or so before the groverhaus thread

i think the fyad jealousy angle is largely made up too, at best it's people taking someone from fyad jokingly posting that and everyone taking it seriously. as usual, the answer is lowtax being an idiot rear end in a top hat

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ur in my world now posted:

LF had some very good posters and probably some of the best threads in the history of posting like the hitler auditions thread. but this was dragged down by the hordes of morons who wanted to scream funny words like anime, cum and islam at each other 10000 times per day. imagine if an entire forum was the trump thread and you have 2012 death row LF

this is 'stalin' erasure.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Penisaurus Sex posted:

it's probably a good thing LF got canned when it did, tbh.

else we would've all trolled ourselves into Eco-Hoxhaism or Neozapatismo and embarrassed ourselves.

that sounds amazing. CSPAM will never reach such heights.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Boniface had an amazing ability where he would say any old poo poo but because he had a reputation for comedy genius everyone would quote him and say 'lol'. Absolutely anything he posted. They'd line up to give him his 'lol' tithe. Helldump was loving weird.

in general i don't think subforums should be shut down for bad posting because that can be fixed and addressed, it just takes some effort. but I think Helldump might be the exception to that. maybe YCS, I don't know.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

babypolis posted:

at this point it seems easier to assume everything lowtax said was a lie

like that whole beef with paypal ages ago? lmao lowtax probably did steal that money

way way back Lowtax said google hated him which was why SA was never on the first page of a google search

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Virtual Russian posted:

If you didn't get swept up in hoping for meaningful change in 08 you are heartless or lying. Like yeah, we all were immediately disillusioned, and it was an excellent but cruel lesson on electoralism and democratic institutions. However, if you can't actually ever believe good things could happen whats the point? Obviously we all know better now than to believe change is coming from above, but man, those Bush years...

it helped that the democrats held power in congress and the senate. felt like he could really make some serious changes with control over the legislature.

and well,

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i don't remember those guys

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Saucer Hovers posted:

they also thought masturbation decreased your power levels and all homosexuals were pedophiles soooooo half proud boys half Q now

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

it's a great av

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Penisaurus Sex posted:

the best topics involved Cefte owning someone.

it's funny because a whole bunch of people say they want D&D to be basically Cefte posting 24/7 instead of the endless backbiting and retreading the same topics with the same canned lines over and over but absolutely no one will be willing to put that kind of effort into posting

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cefte posted:

It's not even a question of effort - both the reader base and the ruleset have changed in a way that the opportunity to do so is trending towards zero.

Oh poo poo I didn't know you were still around. Hope you're doing well. And that's a good point, I guess that is the way the discourse is going.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah important to keep this in mind. Easy to look back with rose-colored glasses, but you had to wade through a LOT of garbage to get to the gold. Which was funny in its own way, but yeah...my page down button got a workout in some of those threads.

I think people are right that the best bits of LF are better than most of CSPAM but CSPAM has way less complete garbage posting as long as you don't bother with certain megathreads.

There's just fewer and fewer new threads produced in general as well, wheras back in the day you'd just post a new thread for a new topic rather than funnel everything into a few appropriate threads. doomsday economic thread would be a million different posts about Number going up or down or whatever, so everyone understood that particular posting gimmick instead of it being contained in one very big thread.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cefte posted:

Thanks, and same! It's funny, a daily lurk on SA is still part of my routine, after fifteen years. You'd think we'd have moved on.

Frankly, I think all the other options are worse and for better or for worse I find I can still have some interesting conversations here now and again. Your insight about how to generate good content is spot on, I think.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it wasn't the greatest thread, or the funniest, but i always will love autospy-turvey's Let's Play Serbia (in Victoria 2) thread

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pingui posted:

I completely agree, stuff getting lost is sorta what I mentioned before, though I think it has less to do with megathreads as such and more to do with controversy being quoted, but not interesting or agreeable. So we continue seeing the same old trolls saying the same old dumb stuff, which further buries anything of value. I think rules against emptyquoting (to show agreement) has probably exacerbated this, though it is probably an overall good to not grant too much leeway on that.

As far as side discussions go, I think we are all getting a little hosed by how rapidly the world seems to be crumbling. The time dilations are definitely a thing (just try to think back a few months, it is frankly crazy) and it makes it real hard to distinguish pertinent from non-pertinent, while at the same time making it easier to get lost in the plot. For discussions of a more timeless nature it should be possible, but it doesn't happen - like the Corona thread had 10 pages of food talk, that should have gone to the perfectly fine food thread but didn't. Why didn't it?

Edit: As an example it was easier to tell pertinent from non-pertinent at the time when Fox spend a week on "mustard-gate" and who can forget the TAN(?!) suit.

Yeah meanwhile people spent weeks wringing their hands over that Harper's letter while America was getting wrecked by the plague. Social media just distorts poo poo by making every new news story seem that much more important.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

babypolis posted:

it was fantastic and i wish i could revisit it but all the images died

OUR PEOPLE ARE BORN OF THE SKY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hatebag posted:

LF had more effort threads and original content. CSPAM is mostly chat threads and threads comprised of reactions to news or media.

That's the way SA's posting style and content has changed over the last decade more than anything.

I'd be fine if CSPAM annihilated all its megathreads but they'd eventually be recreated.