Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This American had his first real chance to visit the Canadian rockies last summer, family drove the alcan several times when I was growing up but we pretty much always blew through Canada trying to get to where we were going, so it was nice to actually be a tourist.

Came up through Montana at the Chief Mountain border crossing, cut west through Frank so I could go north on 40. It was June 20 when I entered, and it started snowing almost immediately. :v: By the time I got to Highwood Pass there was 5 inches on the ground. Was even more snow on the other side and the road was littered with cyclists who had been caught out in it.

This was in the meadow below the Mt Engadine lodge that day:

Then the same meadow a week later:

My highlight hike was going to be hiking back to Smutwood and photographing Birdwood, but I had packed for summer with a chance for cold, not slushy winter mess. So now I just gotta make it back there some times. Made it as far west as Glacier NP, loved the Illecillewaet campground. Also went up to Jasper and it's pretty but too many tour buses.

We did get into Assiniboine for two nights which was a super great treat.

Camping there and listening to avalanches was a new, neat experience. But the wife twisted up her knee so that put a halt on additional "serious" hikes. So we made do a "test the knee" hike to Chester Lake.

And had our anniversary at Emerald Lake (this is Emerald Basin).

I am craving a trip into BC, I've seen some photos out of Carmanah, Chilliwack and Chilcotin that makes them must visit spots. Well there's a lifetime of must visit spots out that way, but three is a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU