Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-addressing-threat-posed-wechat/

tldr Trump has signed an executive order that prohibits transactions with TikTok and WeChat parent companies Bytedance and Tencent, effective in 45 days - the same Tencent that owns like every online game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Lmao but also this will be legally tied up until after the election

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Tencent owns part of Epic Games. Trump has banned Fortnite.

I'm gonna vote for him now.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Lol finally we can all be free of videogames forever. Lol RIP half the games industry.

Also, pretty loving funny how the US immediately shits the bed and bans you when you outperform it in capitalism lol, free market my rear end.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

some idiot posted:

The following actions shall be prohibited beginning 45 days after the date of this order, to the extent permitted under applicable law: any transaction that is related to WeChat by any person, or with respect to any property, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, with Tencent Holdings Ltd.

Trump did not, in fact, just ban Tencent.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Tencent owns part of Epic Games. Trump has banned Fortnite.

I'm gonna vote for him now.

This is really in the national interest.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Some influential people seem to think that the order does, legal word-salad aside.

https://twitter.com/slasher/status/1291552038455775233?s=21

The key part people are interpreting differently than you is the "or with respect to any property" part from that quote. Also, you left out the last part:

quote:

with Tencent Holdings Ltd. (a.k.a. Téngxùn Kònggǔ Yǒuxiàn Gōngsī), Shenzhen, China, or any subsidiary of that entity

Gay Rumsfeld fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 7, 2020

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Epic is not a subsidiary of Tencent.

Tombstone
Nov 2, 2001

Always look on the bright side of life.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't see the "that is related to WeChat" in the EO.

Edit: Whoops, was reading the wrong EO. Didn't realize he had signed two of them.

Tombstone fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 7, 2020

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Epic is not a subsidiary of Tencent.

I believe Tencent owns approximately 40% so it seems a bit up in the air if it applies to them or not.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Don't play any tencent games so I'm good :)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Once they toss him some cash he'll probably back off, it's what Trumps knows to do.

Grumblegrox
May 15, 2009
you know what, I am fine with people thinking trump just banned video games

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/DakDread/status/1291557186452295686

e:

https://twitter.com/SamAugustDean/status/1291576813685108736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Rumsfeld