Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SolarFire2 posted:

Between Cerritos and Solvang California is getting a lot of Federation Rep.

All of the California class ships in Lower Decks are cities in California - Cerritos, Solvang, Merced, Rubidoux, Alhambra, Sacramento. And all their shuttles are California parks and forests - Death Valley, Sequoia, Yosemite, etc.

It's probably not a coincidence the Vancouver was a Parliament Class too, maybe they name after major cities from the Commonwealth.

I think it's also meant to be a bit of a gag on the way that random background ships in TNG and DS9 would often end up being named after cities the writers were born in or lived in or something.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

All of the California class ships in Lower Decks are cities in California - Cerritos, Solvang, Merced, Rubidoux, Alhambra, Sacramento. And all their shuttles are California parks and forests - Death Valley, Sequoia, Yosemite, etc.

It's probably not a coincidence the Vancouver was a Parliament Class too, maybe they name after major cities from the Commonwealth.

I think it's also meant to be a bit of a gag on the way that random background ships in TNG and DS9 would often end up being named after cities the writers were born in or lived in or something.

I think Mike McMahan said that the Parliament-class ships were named after Canadian cities, specially because of the reference to the Canadian Parliament in the class name. So hopefully if we see more Parliaments in the future they'll be repping names like Toronto, Edmonton, Victoria, Halifax, Montreal, Yellowknife, Ottawa, ect.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do americans tend to think specifically of Canada when they hear the word Parliament?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 12, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ok i've now seen them all. it is finding its footing but Pretty Good and deffo the best new star treks

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Do americans tend to think specifically of Canada when they hear the word Parliament?

Well, I think of England actually.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just binged through the show over the weekend and

reignofevil posted:

This cartoon was made by people who care about star trek and who understand what the classic star trek television was, for better and for worse. I think that if this keeps getting funded the star trek universe finally has at least one part of the timeline that feels like it's in good hands.

this, basically.

I wasn't sure at all going in (and it took a recommendation from one of the people involved with Improvised Star Trek to get me to even give it a chance) but by the end I definitely felt like it was the best Star Trek I'd seen in years.

I probably laughed more than you did, but it's not a show I'll keep watching because it's funny, it's a show I watch because it Gets It (even if it took a little time to really discover its strengths). And I love the premise established in, er, the first season finale that doing Second Contacts is actually important work and not just makework for the relentlessly average-at-best Cerritos crew.

Also because it exemplifies something said during the last Improvised Star Trek episode (I will never shut up about Improvised Star Trek) about how the optimistic dream of Star Trek is only really valid if it applies to everyone, and not just the Best of the Best.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
why does she always have her sleeves rolled up

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She's a rebel but it's also a good idea in terms of character design on a show where everyone is wearing the same clothes.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I am not a main dude of Star Trek but I really enjoyed this show and picked up enough references to feel like I "got it" (Riker's Enterprise gag in the finale was great, and everything about the Holodeck Movie episode was fantastic. The team-building Hydroscoot outing, the brand-new and super-competent member of the bridge crew, "It's a movie; you can do all kinds of beaming stuff in a movie!")

I know Boimler will be back on the Cerritos sometime around 21 minutes into S2E1 and that it's almost hack at this point to shake up a series before effectively resetting the status quo next season, but I still liked the development.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Just finished this - honestly, loved it. I think a lot of my enjoyment was that I found Tendi very easy to both enjoy and relate to, and ditto Rutherford. Tendi is in serious danger of replacing Sisko as my favorite Trek character. A lot of the jokes worked for me and I was impressed with the action animation (I don't know if I'd call it great but I came in with very low expectations, given how awful trek usually is at action).

As for if I'd recommend it to others? I'm not sure I could recommend it to my friends who are just straight fans of TNG and DS9, because some people just don't like adult-oriented animation in general so sucks to be them. Depending on the next season or two this might be a good way to get my friends who like adult animation into Star Trek though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Is this still only available on that CBS streaming service?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Is this still only available on that CBS streaming service?

No, it's on Amazon Prime worldwide now. It's also on Crave in Canada. Also CBS All Access is now Paramount+.

Anyway, watch the show. It's pretty good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So I've been thinking more about this show and honestly I'm liking it even more as I've had time to sit on it. I think it plays well with a lot of trek conceits, and I think it walks well that line of being episodic while still having meaningful characters. It also cut pretty strongly against my least favorite thing about Trek, the weird race essentialism (there's still moments of it but there's more moments of Tendi undermining and even directly attacking it). I will admit that I think I got more humor out of it than reignofevil, mostly because Rutherford's line deliveries tended to get me pretty good. He's just such a happy dweeb!

But something I don't really get is why Mariner is so hung up on Boimler specifically being on the same assignment. It gets reiterated a lot - she humiliates herself to give him a win early on and she loses her poo poo at him for transferring at the end. I didn't really scan her as being romantically or sexually into him, we see what she's like when she's into somebody and it's not similar at all. It's not like she doesn't know that Starfleet careers don't really sustain "everybody just chills out at some equilibrium indefinitely." Hell her own two parents are obviously close and don't have assignments anywhere near each other. It just seems like a really contrived neurosis. I guess she really gets off on having a punching bag and isn't confident that she'd find a new one?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like maybe for all her friend partyness Mariner maybe hasn't had a close friend for a long time. Maybe even since that girl got eaten.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Oh yeah that makes a lot of sense, hadn't really thought of it as an attachment anxiety thing but that adds up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also the whole thing where he had just said he was gonna more readily accept her mentorship and was gonna chill with being a brownnoser always looking for a leg up (which is one of the things she hates most about the higher ranks) and then he flipped on a dime to taking the first chance he got the literal second after he said he was going to chill.

But also Mariner's just generally bombastic and doesn't respect higher ranks so yelling at Boimler to counteract how he thinks he's some kind of hot poo poo now kinda follows.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I see what Mariner is doing in lower decks as fundamentally rooted in her rebellion against her important parents. Converting Boimler to her perspective (that rank sucks) is a goal of hers because it lets her feel more secure that her own choice to remain where she is in rank was the right one. That said this I think mostly applies to the beginning and middle of the season, time has yet to tell if the progress she made with her mother in coming to an understanding about how they can both help starfleet significantly changes how much she wants to act out or slack off.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Also I feel like Mariner kinda pities Boimler because he is so shockingly unprepared for anything that isn't covered in the standard training prep. I feel like she considers it a pet project to get some world wisdom under his belt and to occasionally shield him from his habit of brown-nosing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I’ve often argued that between the two of them, Mariner and Boimler are basically two halves of the perfect Starfleet officer, and it’s in the moment where they come together and solve problems by relying on each other where that really shows. And when they’re apart and at odds with each other, they’re just two incredibly broken self-destructive people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

reignofevil posted:

I see what Mariner is doing in lower decks as fundamentally rooted in her rebellion against her important parents. Converting Boimler to her perspective (that rank sucks) is a goal of hers because it lets her feel more secure that her own choice to remain where she is in rank was the right one. That said this I think mostly applies to the beginning and middle of the season, time has yet to tell if the progress she made with her mother in coming to an understanding about how they can both help starfleet significantly changes how much she wants to act out or slack off.

This tracks, it just feels so odd that she's so fixated on specifically Boimler. I guess to a certain extent it's just TV logic, that Boimler is just kind of the ultimate boss of being a suckup, and Mariner's attempts to convert him are kind of a stand in for more general proselytizing.

nine-gear crow posted:

I’ve often argued that between the two of them, Mariner and Boimler are basically two halves of the perfect Starfleet officer, and it’s in the moment where they come together and solve problems by relying on each other where that really shows. And when they’re apart and at odds with each other, they’re just two incredibly broken self-destructive people.

Oh yeah it's great. I think that probably what we're going to see is that Boimler's backstabbery bites him hard when he doesn't have Mariner's support. Any other person wouldn't tolerate being thrown under the bus like that and also she covers a lot of his weaknesses. Entirely possible that if he does ever get a captain's chair, Mariner will be 10 feet away and people will snicker about how he relies excessively on her.