Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

We are actively considering moving from Washington to Texas next year. I have about 25 ammo cans worth of ammunition Iíve collected over the years that will be making the journey with us.

The question I bring you - my fellow tender Rambos - is: how to move it across the country most affordably?

Does any of you have experience using shipping services, such as actual truck/freight companies to move large quantities of ammo?

My vision is getting a pallet, actually stacking the ammo cans and shrink wrapping them, then having a truck come to our house and pick that up and deliver it all at once to our new location.

Of course other options include

-actually driving it across the country butÖ I think my car will be scraping wheels against wheel wells if I do this!

-shipping them individually via UPS or Fed acts Ė Ė seems like a recipe for paying far too much

-Selling some of it locally, maybe during the pre-election panic that is inevitable - then rebuying in Texas. This is my least favorite option due To uncertainties about being able to buy ammunition mail order in the future if certain events transpire politically.

Please let me know your thoughts, thank you all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you ship it you're going to need to have it labeled as ORM-D. That can limit how it's handled. Ammo is also really loving heavy, which means shipping costs are going to bite you in the rear end. I don't know about freight shipping. Are you shipping any furniture or anything like that? If you've already got a moving van scheduled I'd just box it up and put it with the rest of your household poo poo.

Other than that driving it cross country is probably the best bet. That's what I did with a bunch of ammo all the times I moved.

If it were me I'd sell the stockpile and use the funds to re-buy it if driving or shipping were both impossible or prohibitively expensive. That said, ammo is kind of hosed right now. On the one hand you might be able to actually turn a tidy profit on what you bought it for originally. On the other hand getting more might take a while.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

If you're moving, is renting one of those moving pods an option? Basically a small shipping container, the smallest I've seen are a cube something like 6-7 feet on a side. I believe they pick it up and transport it with a large truck, but there might be weight limits. You'd probably have enough extra volume you could toss whatever else in to make the shipping easier.

I've had a couple roomates and friends use those when moving ordinary stuff, don't recall any complaints.

Edit: specifically this is what I had in mind: https://www.pods.com/portable-container-sizes#7Foot

Weight limit is 5200 lbs.

boxen fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 7, 2020

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

How are you getting the rest of your stuff there?

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Is ammo the ONLY thing you have to move? I would expect renting whatever size one-way moving truck you need to move all your stuff and just adding the ammo cans into it (possibly wrapping them together like you already planned, or maybe just wrapping a few cans together) would be the best way to do it. Have it all moved together for one price. If you're going to use movers, you may ask them about it, see if they charge any extra for it, but other than fear based on ignorance, there's no reason moving heavy ammo cans should be any different or additional cost than moving anything else heavy.

Shipping, as noted by Cyrano, will be expensive because it has to be labeled ORM-D and I believe has to go ground service, which means you can't drop it off at a FedEx or UPS store (or you might, but most probably won't take ORM-D shipments) so you'll probably have to take it to a depot to ship it, and it's expensive and slow. Can't speak about freight prices for a pallet, but I can't imagine it would be any cheaper.

I have some old notes for some 22LR I sold years back during a panic, 550 bricks I have listed as UPS Ground shipping for $15, and a small ammo can of 1600 rounds was $25. I'm pretty sure those were close to the actual cost of shipping, I wasn't skimming off the top with trumped up shipping costs. Just recently helped a buddy sell 2000 rounds of M855 in two large ammo cans, his UPS Ground shipping quote was $50 for that.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I have occasionally been surprised at the cost of LTL freight for one-off shipments, I once shipped a gaylord box (think a heavy wall 4x4x4 box on a pallet) from TN to Ohio for about $250. Of course we do a lot of shipping so we probably get better rates than an individual would.

If you go this route, absolutely put it in something more secure than "a pallet of shrinkwrapped cans". LTL shipment is the wild west. Stuff gets loaded on a trailer, stuck at a terminal, and then loaded on the next trailer headed towards your destination. I don't know where the average person would get a gaylord box, but something like that with a lid you could band onto it (to discourage people from checking out the contents) would be my choice. The boxes are very heavy (usually an inch thick) and should protect the cans. They'll still tend to jostle and bump into each other so you may want to stick cardboard between them and between the rows.

I would make sure you inventory everything and get some form of insurance on it too. It would be very easy for a single can to come up missing, and depending on what you've got in it, it could be quite a bit of money.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

If you've already got it in cans, you might want to weigh each one on a bathroom scale and see what the total weight is.

Depending on total weight, the grades you'd have to deal with, and your vehicle, you may be able to fit it (and some bulky light stuff) into a UHaul trailer or part of it in a trailer and the remainder in your vehicle.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Freight is also going to be more expensive if it's going residential to residential and they need a lift gate to load and unload. If doing freight try to send it to and from a business with a forklift or loading dock.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

If you are thinking of driving for the actual move instead of flying, does your car or truck have a trailer hitch? Even a small Uhaul trailer is probably rated for enough weight for 25 cans. If you buy a good quality padlock, insure it, and plan your hotel stops with security in mind you can minimize the potential risk of the trailer being broken into or outright stolen.

I would personally probably sell anything that I thought would be more common/easier to replace.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Moving Ammo Tip -

When my father moved out to Portland after I came out and found an apartment, we had to use a big moving company. We didn't have a ton of stuff, but enough to fill up a truck.

For a reason I still don't understand, my father told the main guy, "Here is my son's ammo. Be careful with it."

A huge clusterfuck was created, because the main mover was like, "You need to destroy that, we cannot move explosives."

From Portland, I had to call their main office and email them a link from their website saying firearms and firearm ammo was ok as long as they box was secure. The guy still didn't want to move it, but his bosses then sent him the link.

Just remember, you have no obligation to tell them, "HEY AMMO RIGHT HERE!!!"

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Just remember, you have no obligation to tell them, "HEY AMMO RIGHT HERE!!!"

Depends on the contract.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Depends on the contract.

Every single company who I contacted had me digging through their contracts. Every one listed explosives as the issue, not ammo. One or two even said, "Reloading components not OK, ammo OK." The important thing is that I had cleared it with their head office first. It was just a clusterfuck on the moving day because of Mr. Know-It-All who was in charge.

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

Thank you for the ideas.

PODS doesnít specifically call out ammo as a no-go - I will anonymously call them to confirm if they allow It. Iíll report back what they say.

We plan to have a mover, but have other personal things to move and it seems this may be a great time to upgrade our little SUV to something that could tow a Uhaul trailer. This would make the trip more comfortable to boot - my trusty 2006 Honda Element isnít the paragon of comfort these days.

I have also lined up a friend who will buy whatever I donít want to haul with me.

That leaves the gun safe - May have to sell or leave it here, depends what we get as a quote from a pro mover.

Man... Moving is a bitch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

In military moves, I always drove myself and the stuff I didn't trust the movers not to steal or break, or anything really important. Certain papers, my guns, ammo, office computer, etc.