Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:siren: STOP!! This thread is for the Korean and Russian release, which requires VPN to play. If you are looking for the global release (comes out Feb 11, 2022), then go to this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990778

One of the biggest MMORPGs in Korea in the last few years, had a Russian release within the last 12 months or so, but it was only to pretty recently that people in the west have figured out how to finally play this game, and translate it into English (the game has also just launched in Japan as a closed beta). The release to the Russian market made this much easier, because before with the Korean release, you needed someone to create an account for you, and have a Korean bank account and address. It was very convoluted and not worth the hassle. Now you just need a VPN, and mail.RU e-mail address. The caveat is that you'll probably be paying a monthly fee for that VPN. But if you have been wanting to play this MMORPG for a long time now, like I have, now is your time.

Additional word of warning, I have seen people foolishly use their credit cards on the games cash shop. Remember; you are connecting to Russian servers here, through a VPN that is also connected to Russian servers. It should go without saying, don't do this. Use Paypal if you can, who doesn't give a poo poo. Your credit card will be frozen on the spot if you use it with this game because to your bank it'll look like fraud and set off all sorts of :siren:

For those wondering: Yes, this is in active development for the west. No idea of any other details beyond that, but SmileGate confirmed in June of those year that they are working on an official english translation for the United States, and U.K.

So with that out of the way, here is how you connect and play Lost ARK (if you ever played Phantasy Star Online 2 when it was only in Japan then you will be very familiar with all of this):

First our VPN of choice:
I am using ExitLag: https://www.exitlag.com/en this comes with a 3 day free trial

Another alternative I have seen that is confirmed to work is CyberGhost VPN https://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_US/

Next, you have to sign up for Mail.RU, this is actually going to be your Lost ARK account because this is who owns the rights to run the game in Russia: https://account.mail.ru/signup?from=main&rf=auth.mail.ru

Now download Gamecenter: https://games.mail.ru/gamecenter/download I believe it has to be through this link. Chances are you already have Gamecenter on your PC through the American branch, I don't know if that will work.

You'll want to start up ExitLag, through ExitLag, connect to Gamecenter My.Com, and Lost ARK RU using either region RU Moscow01 or RU Moscow02, you have to use either of these two regions in order to download the game and play.

Open up Gamecenter, connect with your mail.RU account, and find Lost ARK, and start downloading it, the total download size is 40GB.

When all of that is done, leave GameCenter open, and download the english translation https://lostarkdatabase.com/english-patch/ open LaoTranslation.exe as administrator, select english, and start patching. In the future you will need to start Gamecenter first, and then LaoTranslation.exe each time in order to have english.

And there you go, that should be all you need to get up and running. Lost ARK to me is best described as an action MMORPG that is very heavily inspired by Diablo III. It is very story focused, and the combat works very similarly to Diablo III, with a similar art style that is far more detailed though. I think the gameworld is really beautiful looking, and a lot of attention to detail went into designing it. Diablo IV is a better example of what Lost ARK looks like, but I think Lost ARK is a much prettier looking game with a much better art direction.

I'll try to add some good screenshots later. Everything I am finding online is outdated. I also don't know how far behind the Russian server is compared to the Korean server, I will try to figure that out, but it's a moot point anyways because you can't access the Korean server unless you want to go through steps that might involve wasting money and getting ripped off. :v: Alternatively though if someone does want to write up an easy to understand step by step guide for accessing the Korean version, I will gladly put it in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 9, 2020

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is......fantastic. Decided to go with a Lance Master and the combat and skills feel so drat good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jebediah posted:

This is......fantastic. Decided to go with a Lance Master and the combat and skills feel so drat good.

I am glad I could get someone in to try it out! I am seriously in love with this game.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The translation is almost certainly a pass through Google Translate. Thankfully everything is straightforward enough to get started, but if you're interested in the story, which this is very story driven as you mentioned, then it's probably better to wait until the official English version.

That said, if you want to smash poo poo in the face with some awesome and challenging combat, jump in. Diablo style loot and super visceral combat. Tons of abilities with mods for each ability. The difficulty increased significantly when I hit the second area in the story (with the plague), and I found myself making sure I was dodging and using potions more often.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
I played this pretty nonstop on KR release - it was very polished and a lot of fun. The classes were a bit unique in some respects and the dungeons were goofy. The boss system can be a ton of fun with friends

Then they sold every end game item in the cash shop but ymmv.

e: never not pick up mokokos

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FireWhizzle posted:

I played this pretty nonstop on KR release - it was very polished and a lot of fun. The classes were a bit unique in some respects and the dungeons were goofy. The boss system can be a ton of fun with friends

Then they sold every end game item in the cash shop but ymmv.

e: never not pick up mokokos

I was wondering if you could speak to the current state of the Korean version and what it has that the Russian version does not? How easy was it for you to make account?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Pretty sure you still have to buy an account from a broker due to the korean social security number thing. Who can then at any time they desire take back the account.

The russian version is very "grey" on the cash shop. There's some pay for convenience, and some serious whale pay to win poo poo, but no outright end game items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WQJl17G3is

That guy does some okay content for Lost Ark.

tldr of that video is its about as pay to win as BDO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just going to save myself any headaches and avoid the Korean version, and the Russian cash shop. Still enjoying the game, and waiting patiently for the American release sometime in the next few decades. :v:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how MMO-y is this

I heard Amazon likely got the NA distribution rights for this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

eonwe posted:

how MMO-y is this

I heard Amazon likely got the NA distribution rights for this

Not at all really, this could honestly be repackaged as a single player game. It's everything I wish Diablo III had been though. I hope the Amazon thing is not true, because so far Amazon's attempts to step into the gaming space have been a colossal failure.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 20, 2020

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I have a My.com account already. Is this region locked that I can't use this one already? I just don't need to jump a lot of hoops if I don't have to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BERGfu posted:

I have a My.com account already. Is this region locked that I can't use this one already? I just don't need to jump a lot of hoops if I don't have to.

It's region locked, you have to be connected to a Russian VPN and have a My.com account connected to a Mail.RU account. Which is kinda a roundabout way of saying yes you can use your current account, but you still need to make a Mail.RU account.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It's region locked, you have to be connected to a Russian VPN and have a My.com account connected to a Mail.RU account. Which is kinda a roundabout way of saying yes you can use your current account, but you still need to make a Mail.RU account.

Yeah I was hoping not to have to do all that but oh well

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
game is fun. leveled a couple characters to early end game on RU server. really satisfying and fluid arpg/moba combat, both mechanically and creatively. most of the classes feel different and good. the grind just feels fun and the pvp/pve seems to be high skill cap, which is what really makes an mmo to me. haven't seen a ton of what else is available end game yet, but some of it (raids) looks very monster hunter style which seemed cool.

just heard it got picked up by amazon games for western publication. that's probably a good thing. amazon isn't making the game, like New World, afaik they're just localizing and managing it's cash shop etc. i don't really trust amazon games yet as they have no good track record, but i think this is well within their reach.

highly recommend this game if you like the combat style. either wait for western release or get a vpn that can connect to russia (exitlag etc) and try it out.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Twisc posted:

game is fun. leveled a couple characters to early end game on RU server. really satisfying and fluid arpg/moba combat, both mechanically and creatively. most of the classes feel different and good. the grind just feels fun and the pvp/pve seems to be high skill cap, which is what really makes an mmo to me. haven't seen a ton of what else is available end game yet, but some of it (raids) looks very monster hunter style which seemed cool.

I'm not sure how to picture this, do you mean mechanically or visually monster Hunter style? Can you screen cap it next time so I can see?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Pretty sure I registered a my.com account through my facebook and didnt use the mail.ru thing.

I had tried to play this about a year ago and couldnt get the mail.ru account connected to a vkontakt (or whatever it is) account because it wouldn't accept a US phone number.

They really laxed on the region specific stuff, there's even native support for english in the launcher now, and you can download (but not launch) without a VPN.

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>

BERGfu posted:

I'm not sure how to picture this, do you mean mechanically or visually monster Hunter style? Can you screen cap it next time so I can see?

mechanically. you are a team of 4 that hunt a large monster, on a 20 min timer, over multiple phases covering different areas of the map. knowing a monster's attack patterns is important. feels very monster hunter inspired, in an arpg.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Twisc posted:

mechanically. you are a team of 4 that hunt a large monster, on a 20 min timer, over multiple phases covering different areas of the map. knowing a monster's attack patterns is important. feels very monster hunter inspired, in an arpg.

Oh that makes more sense now. Looks like I'll use the suggestion above for a facebook login to see if that works.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015

PriNGLeS posted:

Pretty sure I registered a my.com account through my facebook and didnt use the mail.ru thing.

I had tried to play this about a year ago and couldnt get the mail.ru account connected to a vkontakt (or whatever it is) account because it wouldn't accept a US phone number.

They really laxed on the region specific stuff, there's even native support for english in the launcher now, and you can download (but not launch) without a VPN.

I was just able to create an account and start the download directly from the client without using a phone number. was already connected with exitlag. Let's see how it goes from here. I selected login with mail.ru > create account > selected I don't have a phone.

Didn't find the option for Facebook.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lexxyth posted:

I was just able to create an account and start the download directly from the client without using a phone number. was already connected with exitlag. Let's see how it goes from here. I selected login with mail.ru > create account > selected I don't have a phone.

Didn't find the option for Facebook.

If you are logged in with your mail.ru account then you should be good to go.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
Yeah, worked for me. I mad an assassin on the server with "C" which would translate to Sirion or whatever. I read that most English speaking players are there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Correct about where english speakers are. I am playing an assassin too. Your character gets more and more naked as you level up, and then all of a sudden starts wearing clothes again. It is peak Korean MMORPG.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hey this game looks great. what are the classes like? and how does it feel tod o multiplayer. can you be support or tanky?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No support or tanking, this is an action RPG as an MMO. I'm sad as it looks like Amazon slipped on bringing this to the U.S. this year, but the pandemic no doubt made things difficult, along with their other issues making their own games.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I have been following this game since it was released in Korea. I might give this a shot.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
How many dailies are there / how harshly will I be 'punished' if I don't log on for a few days in a row?

p.s. is there a recommended discord to hang out in for this?

edit further: i did not realize how much of a uhhh WoW feeling this has, including the publically shared out-world while you farm up 80 bird feathers

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 22, 2020

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Is Diablo clones the new trend or what, that's what the MTG one ended up being.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Verbose posted:

Is Diablo clones the new trend or what, that's what the MTG one ended up being.

At least in Korea it is because Diablo has always been massively popular over there.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Lost Ark to the west was just announced at Summer Games Fest.

Fall 2021.

Tester sign up:

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udwbd5X0zbg

Ehud fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 10, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

Lost Ark to the west was just announced at Summer Games Fest.

Fall 2021.

Tester sign up:

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udwbd5X0zbg

Finally! So excited for this. I just hope it can be up to date with the Korean version, because the Russian server is over a year behind in content.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

"The Confidential Closed Technical Alpha will run from June 11th, 2021 at Noon Pacific Time through the same time on June 16th, 2021. Head over to our Lost Ark site and scroll to the bottom of the page for more details."

Just got a beta invite.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

dang, where do you sign up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yesssss I got into the technical alpha test.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

If you dont get Alpha access (i'm skipping it) but want to watch how it is, DatModz and a few others are going to stream the alpha on Saturday.

It seems it won't be like the RU/JP release (aka start from where KR started) since we're getting classes that came later and skipping some of the original ones (Arcana & Destroyer?)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

Yesssss I got into the technical alpha test.

Same :coolfish:

I’ve had my eye on this game for so long. Can’t wait!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Same, that's awesome.

queeb posted:

dang, where do you sign up

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Some KR players are posting on the reddit. This post about classes seems particularly helpful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lostarkgame/comments/nxbtsg/class_recommendations_for_new_players/

Got my eye on a Bard.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Missed it here (I think), but still excited to see how this turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

madstrike posted:

If you dont get Alpha access (i'm skipping it) but want to watch how it is, DatModz and a few others are going to stream the alpha on Saturday.

Is this a special stream or a 'we don't care about NDA' stream?