Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Submitting this as an answer to Cyrano's challenge to SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT, in the August Chat Thread.

Around the time that the WWSD concept was in full formulation and testing, I decided to make a lightweight rifle concept as well, with slightly different aims. I had taken a class with my 18" competition rifle that had basically morphed into an ill-fated DMR, and it was pretty chunky. Living in Maryland, the land of Heavy Barrels, and having a spare lower that was registered pre-ban, I decided I wanted to build a fully lightweight AR, with some stringent (mostly cost-saving) guidelines.

I wanted to keep all of the general handling and capability of the M4 pattern, while making it lighter and more practically accurate. Initial concepts were for iron sights, but after consideration and weight calculation, I moved away from irons, and especially away from clamshell non-freefloat handguards. Turns out it's much easier to go lighter without the A-frame and all its accoutrements.

The addition of free floats added some flexibility with how light I could take the barrel, as leaning on barricades and walls would be less of an issue with a free floating rail.

After consideration, I came to the following principles:
1) Must be lighter than a Colt 6920 without giving up major functionality or capability, ideally improving
2) Must not use exotic materials (Carbon Fiber, Tennalum, Titanium)
3) Must use forged receivers near mil-spec (no forward assist)
4) Must use normal-weight operating components to maintain a wide reliable operating window
5) Must be equipped with fully ambidextrous controls

First concept was DD fixed irons on an ALG MLOK rail with a Faxon 14.5 pencil barrel, and a MFT minimalist stock:

After determining that a micro red dot (and especially a micro reflex) is lighter than a set of Irons, I transitioned the concept to a red dot.
It was also at this time that I decided on using the ALG purple rail, because I have several ALG rails already, the purple were cheaper at the time, and I really liked the purple look:

Concept, circa April 2018

I wasnt entirely sold on the MFT stock, but after comparing weights vs a Magpul MOE (8.1oz) and the MFT Minimalist (6.0 oz), I chose the MFT for its lighter weight, and inclusion of a QD socket (just forward of the adjustment lever). More capability, less weight.

The first live mockups of the gun came in August 2018:

At this point I had chosen the fire selector (KE Arms Ambi 45 degree), upper (Aero Precision FA-delete), stock, and handguard (ALG V2 13")
The barrel was simply a cheap gov't profile placeholder, as I was holding out for the highly popular Faxon 14.5" with pinned slim flash hiders, as made very popular through their affiliation with InRange's WWSD project. Unfortunately, their unavailability outlasted my patience, and I purchased a 16" pencil barrel instead:

These things are proper skinny. Super lightweight, even lighter than the A1 profile government barrel. The faxon profile follows gov't profile behind the gas block reasonably closely, tapering off slightly more to save more weight, but most of the savings is had out front, where it thins out to somewhere around .550". This thing is super light, and heats up to rippin' hot very fast, but doesnt exhibit the POI shift like older pencil barrels (as demonstrated in WWSD videos)

About January 2019, I slapped it together with all the parts I chose, for the first time.

Without the handstop, it is just under 6lbs, coming in around 5lb 15oz. Very lightweight without going insane on reducing operating masses or buying exotics. I know I could go lighter if I wanted, but this produces a really nice balance of shootability, reliability, and handiness. Muzzle device was a 3-prong XM16E1 model, just because I had it laying around. Were I to change it, I'd probably put an A2 on it. They both hide flash decently well.

Ambi controls were fully sussed out at this point:
KE Ambi Safety
Teal Blue Bravo PDQ bolt release lever
Norgon-style ambi mag release
Radian Raptor LT charging handle

The Primary Arms red dot atop it would prove to be a problem as, unbeknownst to me, at some point during its life on my PCC, it had picked up a nasty intermittent wandering zero that would betray me later on in the day in this match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy7tjKjdIVk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lQmsK6mg_U

In these close range stages, it didn't matter, but pushing out to small targets at 50 yards and beyond it was hopeless. I noticed it after those stages, when flipping up the backup iron sights I installed shortly before. It was an older PA model and served me well, but, long out of warranty, it would end up in the trash heap, replaced with a used Vortex SPARC II and its lifetime warranty.

That's pretty much how the gun would stay for a year, with the not-purple grip and stock nagging me silently, until a few weeks ago finally I found a smith nearby that does really nice cerakote work, and were willing to try their best to color match it the rail, and I think it turned out really drat nice:

Finally, a little over 2 years from the initial concept, it stayed really close to the original idea, it's done, it's handy, it's purple, and it's loving AWESOME. By far my handiest and favorite AR for 2-gun on anything reasonably sized inside 300 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqyVZIMqAhM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

gently caress, forgot a parts list.

Upper:
Aero Precision No-Forward Assist upper
ALG Defense 13" EMR V2 MLOK, purple
Faxon Firearms 16" 5.56 Pencil barrel
Faxon .625" gas block, midlength gas tube
XM16E1 3-prong flash hider
Radian Raptor LT charging handle
Faxon nitride M16 BCG

Lower:
LRB Arms forged standard af lower
Regular 'ol milspec buffer tube
MFT Minimalist Stock, cerakoted a sweet grey-purple
Magpul ASAP QD endplate
Regular 'ol castle nut
Regular 'ol carbine buffer spring
H1 buffer (H2 wasn't locking open reliably, suspect I'll add the other weight back in as the port opens up with use)
LaRue MBT2S Flat Bow (looking for a nice single stage, perhaps a KE SLT, later)
KE Ambi Safety
Norgon ambi-catch clone from CDNN
Teal Blue Bravo PDQ ambi bolt catch
Magpul MOE grip and trigger guard, also cerakoted a sweet grey-purple

Sights and accessories:
Magpul MBUS front and rear
Vortex SPARC II
Magpul MLOK handstop kit

I'd like to add a white light eventually, but I'm heckin spent right now. This gun is rad and I love it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

That's a purple gun all right.

I may or may not have considered trying to find a set of the early lime green Brownells 601 repro furniture for similar purposes.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

U R P L E

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Itís....beautiful!!!

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I LIKE WHAT YOU GOT. GOOD JOB.

These things are proper skinny. Super lightweight, even lighter than the A1 profile government barrel. The faxon profile follows gov't profile behind the gas block reasonably closely, tapering off slightly more to save more weight, but most of the savings is had out front, where it thins out to somewhere around .550". This thing is super light, and heats up to rippin' hot very fast, but doesnt exhibit the POI shift like older pencil barrels (as demonstrated in WWSD videos)

Without the handstop, it is just under 6lbs, coming in around 5lb 15oz. Very lightweight without going insane on reducing operating masses or buying exotics.

First, awesome build!

Second, do you think there would be any handling and performance benefit with a slightly thicker barrel, such as Faxon's gunner profile?

Third, do you just glove up to deal with the barrel heat? How well does the ALG EMR deal with heat transfer/dissipating heat? Would MLOK panels help?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I can't say I've been been negatively affected by the heat coming off the barrel into the handguard. I pretty much never wear gloves when shooting it.

The gunner profile isn't much heavier, if I remember right it's about an ounce more. I don't think it'd change too much, other than maybe a little longer till the groups open up with sustained fire. Realistically I don't think it'd make much difference either way, although if you want to do A-frame irons, I think the gunner has a longer gas block seat to allow that.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

I strongly support both purple guns and pencil barrel ar15s. Very nice!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>
Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That magazine looks like a horn, sort-a. And I dig the one red dot, it's like an eye, really. So... does this fly? Because if it does, then you literally have a one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Love everything about it! We appear to have similar ideas and taste, I did this as a similar concept with a little different execution.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Nice! I like it. If I hadn't been limited to a standard lower due to MD's dumb laws, I probably would have built a rifle on the WWSD design, with the CAV-15 lower

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

If only you have the purple cased Winchester 62gr hp training ammo...

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Reuben Sandwich posted:

If only you have the purple cased Winchester 62gr hp training ammo...

Am I doing this right??

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Final Blog Entry posted:

Am I doing this right??
Close enough.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Purple gun looks dope.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Final Blog Entry posted:

Am I doing this right??

Yes. Yes you are.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Beautiful. Love it all.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Nice! I like it. If I hadn't been limited to a standard lower due to MD's dumb laws, I probably would have built a rifle on the WWSD design, with the CAV-15 lower

Didn't get a CAV15 in time for the ban?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Mad Dragon posted:

Didn't get a CAV15 in time for the ban?

Nah, AK was more of a priority at the time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

You should nickname it Purple Power.

Nice rifle!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Purple Rain

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Hogue has purple grips in stock if you're still looking for one.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Never really been a fan of hogue grips shape or texture, that's why I got a Magpul grip cerakoted. It's hard to tell in the picture but it's the same color coating as on the stock. The base plastic was FDE vs the stock's black, and I think that made a difference

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I love it and I plan to copy the lower parts used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Herr Tog posted:

I love it and I plan to copy the lower parts used.

Nice to hear, what are you thinking about doing for the upper?