Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I had a post asking if the forums make money, and it got gassed for no reason. My question remains: how much does it cost to run the forums, how much do they earn, and is there any reason to buy them? Surely Lowtax has the financials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

"Surely he has the financials," let it mellow says of the man who has proven to be wildly incompetent in pretty much every aspect of his life except bridge burning

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that was a joke

But what’s not a joke is wondering why anyone would buy the forums and why any questions about that are immediately gassed.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

let it mellow posted:

Surely Lowtax has the financials

:stonklol:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's about a dollar in South AFrican currency

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://i.imgur.com/W1uOJPU.mp4

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

He either has too much money or too little money, whatever you need to enrage you or make whatever joke you're making work, which one did you want to hear?

Once you tell us, then just go ahead with the joke or troll or whatever and we can critique that and let you know if it's witty or whatever and see if you really got 'im good this time

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020
Bitcoin xfers take a bit of time.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Let us know when you get to the bottom of this conspiracy

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Big Beef City posted:

He either has too much money or too little money, whatever you need to enrage you or make whatever joke you're making work, which one did you want to hear?

Once you tell us, then just go ahead with the joke or troll or whatever and we can critique that and let you know if it's witty or whatever and see if you really got 'im good this time

ok, but are the forums a good investment?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Let us know when you get to the bottom of this conspiracy

He's entering my colon now answers are forthcoming

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

let it mellow posted:

Fairly certain Jeff isn’t doing this as an investment.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
in buying the forums in the first place jeffrey of yospos is starting out immediately on his mangosteen moment. not a good sign

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Mrs. Sexual posted:

Fairly certain Jeff isn’t doing this as an investment.

yeah, I like habitat, so this is a charity thing?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

let it mellow posted:

you and i are both posting on them, you tell me

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Can the forums do some chores around my house? I got a few nickles to spare!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

somewhat more seriously, pretty sure jeff is buying the forums because he likes them and wants people to still be able to post on 'em without having to give any money to rich

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

the forums are up and running, and i can post. so i think the financial state is greater than zero? i'm no biz wiz tho so take it fwiw

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Who cares, the forums are up so :posthaste:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

let it mellow posted:

yeah, I like habitat, so this is a charity thing?

Its because he and others like posting on the forums. Its like buying a boat. You know you're going to lose money on the thing but you want to make memories out on the water with those close to you so you go for it anyway.

Chefs and Restaurateurs sometimes create concepts that are purposefully short lived because they lose money. They run insane food costs so that they can generate a brand that can be parlayed into other endeavors. Its not always about the net.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Good news, I just donated the forums to the nearest Goodwill. It's rotting underneath a sheath of dust next to the $69 statue of a giant head with enormous feet connected to its skull and red painted toenails.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

you and i are both posting on them, you tell me

I donated for xenforo so I’m obviously a loving idiot

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Good news, I just donated the forums to the nearest Goodwill. It's rotting underneath a sheath of dust next to the $69 statue of a giant head with enormous feet connected to its skull and red painted toenails.

I drove the forums around in the back of my car for six months before dropping it off at a Goodwill bin behind the back of Kmart. It had most of it's pieces so I think it's still good to sell

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I did it, I gassed the thread. Not because it was a bad question to ask, but because it is utterly pointless. I'm sure the forums make very little right now because horrible horrible Lowtax is still in charge. Before the allegations ehh who the gently caress knows. Probably not that much. Where's the discussion in this?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you got something to actually talk about talk about it. Otherwise this goes in the loving garbage also

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
money can be a taboo subject in certain instances OP

tread carefully

:blastu:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

you could always try pm'ing jeffrey himself about this stuff too if you can't find the now-closed qcs threads about it

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Im sure asking someone about their financial business will work wonders

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I think the term is "some guys are coming"

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer
*cumming

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Every post their social security numbers in this thread

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

let it mellow posted:

Yeah, that was a joke

But what’s not a joke is wondering why anyone would buy the forums and why any questions about that are immediately gassed.

I've been reading the forums for over 16 years, I've had an account for almost 14. The moderation climate of these forums is capricious, arbitrary, and stupid, and it has always been. Mods always circle the wagons for other mods, no matter what the allegations are. Every scandal involves mod actions that are reactive, rather than proactive. I've watched dozens of people get banned for wrong punctuation or pointing out that some admin is a sexweird, while Lowtax cruises the userbase for new wives and sulks about people Mangosteenposting.

I'm still going to gas this loving thread if nobody has anything new to say or my IK powers aren't immediately stripped after this post.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 9, 2020

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

420 69 8008

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

in addition to the above, do you honestly trust the man formerly known as lowtax to provide legitimate financial details when he lied about so many other things? if not then who? if jeffrey, well, good news, he said he'd provide them once the deal went through. what more do you want?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've been reading the forums for over 16 years, I've had an account for almost 14. The moderation climate of these forums is capricious, arbitrary, and stupid, and it has always been. Mods always circle the wagons for other mods, no matter what the allegations are. Every scandal involves mod actions that are reactive, rather than proactive. I've watched dozens of people get banned for wrong punctuation or pointing out that some admin is a sexweird, while Lowtax cruises the userbase for new wives and sulks about people Mangosteenposting.

I'm still going to gas this loving thread if nobody has anything new to say or my IK powers aren't immediately stripped after this post.

your posting persona is bad

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I think that the forums' financial state is

very bad

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Methanar posted:

your posting persona is bad

Just give me some fresh news some new information something to actually discuss

Otherwise it's just white noise

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I think that the forums' financial state is

very bad

Much like your posting :evilbuddy:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

let it mellow posted:

lol no

I’m pretty sure Jeffrey isn’t buying them to make money; he just fuckin’ loves posting too much to let them die alongside everyone’s remaining respect/tolerance for Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I did it, I gassed the thread. Not because it was a bad question to ask, but because it is utterly pointless. I'm sure the forums make very little right now because horrible horrible Lowtax is still in charge. Before the allegations ehh who the gently caress knows. Probably not that much. Where's the discussion in this?

The question is simple. What’s the point of someone new buying the forums? Why would they do it if it won’t make money? Why are the forums a money sink?