Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Fartington Butts posted:

Yum Brands: We Just Can't Stop loving Up!

uber_stoat posted:

we make things people really like and that sell well and then we get rid of them for some reason. trust us we did the research.

"Hi could I get (fill in the blank)"

"Oh that's a seasonal item, it's currently discontinued to make sure you won't bother coming here and giving us money nearly all of the year but instead swing by one single day of the year because it's back on the menu, it's such a big hit for a limited time only!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rick posted:

Those Jack n the Box sandwiches were pretty good. It’s actually kind of weird they got rid of them, their menu is giant and rarely drops anything.

The Jack n the Box's around here have been doing a thing for maybe a year or two or so, perhaps a little more, where they have a featured combo meal for about two months, then completely drop it for a new deal. Usually they are priced better then the rest of the combos, but knowing the sandwich or burger or whatever it is will likely be gone before I try it more then once or twice doesn't really entice me to give them a shot.

There was a bit there that they had a triple cheese burger with small fries and a drink for like 3 or 4 bucks and that was pretty hard to pass up. I would probably still get it even if they raised the price up to like 5 bucks after the promotion. I don't really understand having trial items if there is no intention whatsoever to keep them around, especially when it's made from stuff they already have on hand anyhow. I understand "to get you in the door" but if it's popular, why not keep it? It really is a hard set 2 month or whatever type deal too, where on the first of the month exactly it changes.

I guess the deals are everywhere, as a quick glance at their site says the current deal is a 6 dollar "loaded cheddar cheese burger combo" with cheddar cheese, cheddar ranch sauce, and a cheddar bun. I haven't had it but ever since the closest one to my house "temporarily" stopped being 24 hours and still hasn't gone back like a year and a half later, there's a good chance it will be gone before I remember to. It's like Jack is trying to win the "discontinued menu items" thread.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rick posted:

I don’t even know what those are but I am intrigued by the name.

a sexual elk posted:

They were cheesy tots with just the right amount of jalapeño

Zil posted:

drat must have been regional, didn't see them here in Austin.

That's my guess, never heard of them either across multiple states. My guess is with a name like "quepapas" and having "just the right amount of jalapeno" they were likely rather weak and probably marketed in the midwest or something where a low amount of spice is often considered hot and never were brought to places like the southwest with spicier mexican (considering the name) and other style foods. The marketing teams probably figured they would get laughed out of those areas or at least not be a big enough of a hit to bother with.

Not saying they weren't good though, but I never had the opportunity.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rick posted:

How many times have the Lakers gotten 4th quarter boat raced by a tanking team? Probably a schedule loss in this case but drat.

Rick posted:

Wrong thread)=

The Lakers got discontinued, LA basketball fans can still get the Clippers locally, but it's just not the same.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Midjack posted:

Kobe Bryant is is no longer available.

:drat:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

It might be because I think popcorn chicken is one of those limited time offers, sort of like the McRib, except KFC is (or at least used to be) really bad at letting the public know when it's coming back or leaving, so instead of getting people excited, it mostly ends with angry customers because the rate at which it comes and goes is way too fast to call "seasonal". As in back for 2 weeks, gone for a couple months, then back for a month and a half, gone for a month, etc. for no obvious rhyme or reason, almost like they are trolling their customers instead of trying to get them in the door.

Maybe KFC has popcorn chicken all the time now, I don't know? Or maybe their erratic schedule of when they have it might seem like they do if you just happen to hit the right times? That's just my guess on why that mac and cheese popcorn chicken bowl would be a LTO, because yeah, they always have strips.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

indigi posted:

can you not order popcorn chicken at kfc anymore? it's still an ingredient in their bowls but looking at the app it's not an option. it's not good but every few years I crave an order, sad if it's gone

quoting myself from last page when this last got brought up about the bowls and popcorn chicken a couple months ago, there's more there to be read, but...

Twenty Four posted:

It might be because I think popcorn chicken is one of those limited time offers, sort of like the McRib, except KFC is (or at least used to be) really bad at letting the public know when it's coming back or leaving, so instead of getting people excited, it mostly ends with angry customers because the rate at which it comes and goes is way too fast to call "seasonal". As in back for 2 weeks, gone for a couple months, then back for a month and a half, gone for a month, etc. for no obvious rhyme or reason, almost like they are trolling their customers instead of trying to get them in the door.

Perhaps they keep enough on hand to throw a small handful in here and there when they sell a bowl or whatever, but not enough to keep a bunch of big family boxes worth, but more likely they just half rear end it with whatever they have available when "popcorn chicken" isn't in stock, which from my experience would be more likely.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Mix. posted:

$30 a person so going there regularly is out of the question

if this fast food subforum had a subtext, this should be it lol, and for the record I'm with you

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

The Voice of Labor posted:

I miss human dignity being on the menu

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Philthy posted:

We have a lot of Cici's commercials airing, but none in the area. The closest thing we have is Pizza Ranch, and you just want to die after you step foot in one.

Rick posted:

There is a CiCis in Phoenix but when I am in the area there are like 6 places there that aren't in Tucson that I'm going to go to first. But I am very curious about them.

I haven't had Cici's since like back in my poor college days so it's been a while (I'm still poor but lol whatever, not the point)

also Rick, I think they mostly retreated to Texas where I believe they originated, and the surrounding states, so you probably dodged the bullet there

anyhow you guys aren't missing much. I remember it being almost like lowest common denominator for what can be considered pizza and cheap as hell at least at the time (I think with a student discount back then), like all you can eat pizza for a few bucks, probably way more now like most fast food type stuff.

now I'm starting to wonder if I am remembering a different lovely all-you-can-eat pizza buffet place, but I definitely remember the dough and crust being carboard like in taste and texture and weak-rear end amounts of toppings. also doing the "holding out on the better stuff in hopes you cave in and fill up on the cheap stuff" move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Nikumatic posted:

papa johns should use panda express orange chicken sauce for their pizzas to cut down on the sugar a little imo

lmao