Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
I tried to take a real crack at making an indie comic. I had been writing this for a bit but when quarantine started i figured it was time to try and actually draw the thing. It's free, it's about a post-apocalyptic radioactive wasteland ruined by war and conquered by atomic wizards and one lady still has a working B-29 somehow. I hope you’ll check it out, its on my portfolio website but the rest of that don’t matter.

https://www.bustercagle.com/the-last-aviatrix-iss-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mac9k5 posted:

I tried to take a real crack at making an indie comic. I had been writing this for a bit but when quarantine started i figured it was time to try and actually draw the thing. It's free, it's about a post-apocalyptic radioactive wasteland ruined by war and conquered by atomic wizards and one lady still has a working B-29 somehow. I hope you’ll check it out, its on my portfolio website but the rest of that don’t matter.

https://www.bustercagle.com/the-last-aviatrix-iss-1

This is pretty fun. Good work.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I hope you wanted feedback, because that's what I'm posting.

The first half was a real smooth read for me until the kid's "Not exactly" line, which felt like a very calm response in a hectic situation. I also didn't really understand why the antagonist wouldn't be able to hit the plane if they started pulling up.

After they land, and he comes after them, I'm starting to wonder - why are they fighting? I get that we're starting in medias res, and it's a good start that I enjoyed reading. As it goes on, though, I start to realise I have no idea who any of these people are. I don't know what their stakes are, there's little to identify with or root for. Although the wizard looks scary and there's an implication he's after them and they're just trying to escape, which is just enough - I would have liked more.

The ending, the twist, I liked a lot.

Nitpick: Personally I didn't enjoy the kid having the Oppenheimer surname, it felt unnecessary. I thought the story worked fine without it and I'm not sure what it adds.

The poems at the end were a nice close.

Overall I liked this, I'm glad I read it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

this has what i like to call pizazz, great messy pulp energy

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's fun. The art isn't not perfect but you also actually got it done and that's an enormous part of it.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Darth Brooks posted:

It's fun. The art isn't not perfect but you also actually got it done and that's an enormous part of it.

There was an internal battle on when my draftsmanship was up to a level I wouldn't be immediately embarrassed by. I keep telling myself, its okay to not make something brilliant as long as the next one is better. so here we are. Thank you for giving it a scroll through.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Go look at the first stuff that Kirby or Eisner did. It's nowhere as good as where they ended up. Most artist do stuff that's rough and then something clicks in, usually about a year into drawing as a regular job. So doing something and continuing to learn is a critical step.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
hi i just opened the link and saw the first image on the page and immediately tabbed back to be like "keep making the hell out of this"

...so far nothing i'm seeing has changed my mind, this rules. Your art is absolutely doing the job right now, but if you keep making this regularly, in a while you'll get to do that fun thing where you smuggly compare your art when you started out to your art after a year or three of continuous output.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Very late to the party but I enjoyed this and would enjoy reading more.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
just a minor thing but it's большой with a ь. Вb = Vv

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011

Breath Ray posted:

just a minor thing but it's большой with a ь. Вb = Vv

Thanks, I was treating Russian and atomic physics as magic spells. So there was a lot of just trusting translations. Thank you though, the future will be spelled better. I am working on another issue that I already think looks better. Thank you all for the support and help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
Well, The quarantine continues and so does the comic I guess... This one came out extra long, but there are lots of art spreads and stuff. So if ya wanted more, here it is. thank you again to anyone that even just flips through.

https://www.bustercagle.com/the-last-aviatrix-iss-2