Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

You have each been prepared for this, you have undergone your rituals to take on your humanoid forms, you have been instructed in what they understand of interacting with humanoids, and you have been introduced to each other for those of you that were not already acquaintances. You then traveled the land on your way to Sandpoint. You have managed to avoid too many conflicts so far, and the weather has been fair and the scenery beautiful.

After some time, perhaps a few weeks, you finally make your way to Sandpoint. You are just in time for the Swallowtail Festival. It is midday the day before the Autuminal Equinox and the festival. You can see people preparing all around you, and quite a few people walking about, both natives to the area and visitors from afar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cast
Bastion
Duvash
Gentle of Aratta
Ignea Parsleygust
Lagarto
Pulque
and accompanied by
Om

You will want to put your character name in bold, and preferably hyperlinked to your sheet like I have tried to do above, at the top of every in character post. And maybe one or both of your portraits.

Discord Link

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lagarto

Lagarto is fairly bouncing with excitement as their small group enters Sandpoint proper, staring wide-eyed at the various stalls and decorations with evident delight. "This is so exciting!" They said, their voice shockingly low and guttural from the small elven frame. "I've never been to a festival before. My... mother always thought it too dangerous."

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 9, 2020

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
perhaps after dinner i will order some more monuments and tall, phallic structures be built in my honor

Pulque

Pulque lets his eyes wander and his mouth water as he takes in all the sights, the sounds, and the delicious yet unidentifiable meats-on-sticks that are the true soul of any festival. He barks out a loud, guttural laugh at Lagarto's hesitation. "It was too dangerous because you were small, and easily squished! Getting better, though." The cactus-man's thoughts trail off as he catches a glimpse of several humans in matching, brightly-colored clothes. "Get all your sightseeing done soon, because I want to be free for the performances later!"

OldMidgetWillow fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 11, 2020

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Ignea Parsleygust

Ignea snaps her fingers at Pulque, yellow eyes glimmering with excitement "Oooh, good idea! I'm sure it's got nothing on a revel back in my Court, but I wonder if they have riddling or rhyming competitions. Maybe I could win myself a prize!"

She hops around trying to get a better view. "Ugh, parsnips! I wish I was taller so I could get a good look around. Will one of you big-folk pick me up so I can get a better look? Anyone see any performing magicians yet? I don't want to miss them."

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 10, 2020

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Duvash

"Calm down, the party doesn't start until tomorrow, there'll be plenty of time to look around and compete and whatnot tomorrow. For today we ought to get the lay of the land, first," Duvash says. "Also try to act cool, like you've done this before." Duvash has been to festivals before. Well, one festival. Well, she watched one from above for a bit once. That was basically the same as being an expert.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Grimey Drawer

Bastion
Bastion offers his hand to Ignea and then lifts her up onto his shoulders. "It is quite lively here. I look forward to the festivities." Bastion offers the smile he has practiced often in preparation for the trip.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 11, 2020

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Gentle

Gentle walks alongside her friends, her steps firm and totally at odds with the impracticality of a seven layer dress of spun silk and brocade. She smiles widely at the thought of a festival to come, but then remembers that festivals inevitably have Complications.

"We'll need to be on the lookout for any disguised nobles, innocent farm girls, or down on their luck heiresses." she muses. "Festivals are a prime source of romantic tension as young men and women of various communities are thrust together by fate and fortune and the whimsy of the gods. Thus they are both entertaining and an integral part of human mate-seeking, like bees and flowers. We'll want to steer well clear of any ensuing complications, marriages, wars, or merchant deals...and of course take copious notes."

She nods, looks over the town critically, then motions across the street and tramples her way through the mud to the next stall.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Ignea Parsleygust

Ignea drums her fingers on Bastion's head. "Remember Duvash, though we definitely aren't internally, a few of us look like big-folk children, so it'd be weirder for us to be calm and composed than to be excited and curious." She puffs out an irritated sigh "I'm not keen on playing the role of air-headed youngling among friends, but a little harmless trickery will probably get us a lot further than explaining our situation in the eyes of the common big-folk."

She looks around from her new perch. "If there's no festive activities yet, does anyone see a library or anywhere they might have tomes we could buy or read? I'm sure Gentle could accompany me and we wouldn't look too out of place." Ignea trails off, musing silently for a bit. "Anyone else have something they're looking for?"

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 10, 2020

8one6
May 20, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bastion
"I believe it would be prudent to acquire lodging for our stay in Sandpoint."

8one6 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 11, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lagarto

Lagarto's face turns fairly serious for a moment. "We should try to see if there is anything wrong around, something that could be the spark for the event. Finding an inn and meeting people would be a good way to get information." They look up at Bastion. "I'll go with you, I fear people may think me a child if I am alone."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004
perhaps after dinner i will order some more monuments and tall, phallic structures be built in my honor

Pulque
"Yes! Let us find an inn of some sort, and perhaps install ourselves in the eating room below to listen to rumors."

OldMidgetWillow fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 11, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

so locations in Sandpoint:
1) Sandpoint Cathedral - cathedral
2) Sandpoint Boneyard - cemetery
3) The White Deer - inn
4) The Way North - former stable, now a library and how did I not find it when searching the word library. Seems to be more about maps and sea charts though
5) Jeweler - jeweler
6) Junker's Edge - garbage dump
7) Gorvi's Shack - home of Gorvi
8) Sage - ancient building where a sage lives
9) Locksmith - a locksmith business
10) Sandpoint Garrison - jail
11) Sandpoint Town Hall - town hall
12) Savah"s Armory - weapon and armor shop
13) Risa's Place - tavern
14) Rovanky Tannery - tannery
15) Red Dog Smithy - smithy
16) The Pillbug's Pantry - alchemist, medicines and potions
17) Bottled Solutions - alchemist, potions
18) Cracktooth's Tavern - tavern/stage
19) House of Blue Stones - monastery/library seriously another one? how did I miss these?
20) Sandpoint Glassworks - glassworks
21) Sandpoint Savories - bakery
22) The Curious Goblin - ... bookshop.
23) Sandpoint Theater - theater
24) Carpenter's Guild - a guild of carpenters
25) Sandpoint Lumber Mill - lumber mill
26) General Store - general store
27) Turandarok Academy - school/orphanage
28) Madame Mvashti's House - manor
29) Grocer's Hall - farming guild
30) Vernah's Fine Clothing - clothing store
31) Wheen's Wagons - wheelwright
32) Scarnetti Mill - grain mill
33) The Hagfish - tavern
34) Valdemar Fishmarket - fishmarket
35) Sandpoint Market - 1/week grocery market, 1/week town market
36) Sandpoint Meat Market - butcher
37) The Rusty Dragon - inn
38) Goblin Squash Stables - stables
39) Two Knight Brewery - brewery
40) Sandpoint Mercantile League - travel agent? a lot of stuff really dealing with travel and land ownership
41) Sandpoint Boutique - boutique, sells a lot of things
42) Fatman's Feedbag - tavern
43) The Pixie's Kitten - ... brothel.
44) The Feathered Serpent - curio shop? good for magic items and adventure items among a rather odd selection
45) Hannah's - herbalist/cleric/midwife
46) Sandpoint Shipyard - shipyard
47) Valdemar Manor - manor
48) Scarnetti Manor - manor
49) Kaijitsu Manor - manor
50) Deverin Manor - manor

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Ignea Parsleygust

Ryuujin posted:

so locations in Sandpoint:
43) The Pixie's Kitten - ... brothel.

"Ah fine, we'll go to the inn of your choosing, but I saw a place called the Pixie's Kitten and that sounds like a revel if I've ever heard one! So long as one of you big-folk asks about a library while we're at the inn, I'll join you." Ignea sways back and forth on Bastion's steadfast shoulders, her long hair falling partway down his back and her bare feet kicking "I can't wait, maybe it'll be just like back at court! Riddles and rhymes and tricks and traps." Ignea cackles, voice changing to a sing-song cadence as she recites "I touch the ground, I touch the sky, but you touch me, you'll surely die! What am I?" She not really looking for an answer, just reminiscing loudly.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bastion
"There are two Inns in Sandpoint. The closest appears to be 'The Rusty Dragon' but if the accommodations are not suitable there is also 'The White Deer'." Bastion will wait for the group consensus.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Duvash

"Rusty Dragon sounds fine!" Duvash says.

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 12, 2020

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

Pulque

"Of course; dragons seem more our speed than deer. Let's go!" The large green man begins meandering in the correct general direction for the Rusty Dragon, even looking back to make sure the others were coming.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lagarto

"D'ya think the inn is maybe run by one of our coworkers? And the name is a way to hide in plain sight?" Lagarto is fairly bouncing as they walk with the group, keeping up a steady commentary on their stream of consciousness.

"That would be amazing! It would be a perfect way to fit in while also cluing others in on the secret, this town seems to have a penchant for naming things after various creatures. I think that perhaps they get it from the tradition of..." They continued, keeping up a constant flow of random tidbits and observations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Gentle

“Lightning, although any number of divinities likely qualify. Hrm, this was in an elder tongue but it translates I think. I am new and old, hot and cold, wrapped and broken, shallow and deep. The space between, is mine to keep. If you wish to find me think, and drink, then fall asleep.”

She nods, then looks at the Rusty Dragon. “A lair indeed, although what a rust dragon would be doing playing innkeeper is beyond me. Check your hosts offerings and treat any patina’d items with care, they might be precious and we don’t need trouble.”

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The Rusty Dragon

As you begin to near the area of the Rusty Dragon Inn you begin to smell a number of tantalizing smells. This large structure is Sandpoint’s oldest inn, notable for the impressive (and quite rusty) iron dragon that looms on the building’s roof, doubling as a lightning rod and decoration. Inside you see quite a crowd happily sitting or standing about either eating or ordering food and drink. Many of those within look like they are visitors to the town rather than locals. Some are laughing and telling tales. Some are sitting with tears coming from their eyes and their faces turning red as they try to eat some kind of noodle dish.

At the bar is a sign saying "Help Wanted" that a few more adventurous looking folks are reading.

A beautiful Tian woman is at the bar, laughing as she listens to someone's story, and serving mead and various exotic and spicy foods.

Possibly not as well armed as that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bastion
Bastion will patiently wait for the story to finish before inquiring about lodgings for the group.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lagarto

Lagarto moves over toward the help wanted sign to read more along with some of the other patrons, listening intently and trying to soak in everything about the Rusty Dragon.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The Rusty Dragon

After some inspection te "Help Wanted" board by the bar provides a well-known waypoint for many townsfolk and travelers to hire mercenaries, adventurers, guards, handymen, and others possessing such interests.

Listening to the conversations and it seems people are telling her their stories of their adventures which she listens to with rapt attention, while still managing to take care of her guests. After a bit of time the conversation ends, and the traveler asks for one of the cheaper rooms. He seems to pay two silver and five copper for the room, and gets a key with a small carving of a Wyvern on it.

Meanwhile the others overhear some speculating on what Ameiko is going to make for the festival this year. A number saying that whatever it is will definitely be great, but one brings up the Goblin Brain Cookies she made one year that had them peeing green for a week, and another talks about the scars they got from being a bit too vigorous trying to eat the Porcupine Skewers from another year's festival. But the general consensus is that it should be good.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bastion

"Good day. I would like to request a room for seven if possible."

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Ignea Parsleygust

Ignea leans over Bastion's head looking down. "Really Bas, it's more like four and three halfs. Maybe we can get a discount. Be a good negotiator! Haaaaaaggle."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bastion

Quietly to Ignea "I am... Ill-equipped to haggle but I will make the attempt."

To the innkeeper "Several members of my group are quite small. Would it be possible to pay less than the full amount for them?"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Ignea Parsleygust

Ignea pats Bastion's head. "Good job, I'm proud of you."

She looks up at the innkeeper and gives a beaming smile "You heard the man!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The Rusty Dragon

The woman introduces herself as Ameiko Kaijitsu, the owner and operator of the Rusty Dragon Inn and greets you. She seems perhaps a bit taken aback the the general makeup of the group, but takes it in stride fairly quickly with whatever assumptions she makes.

Listening to your request she nods once then replies, "well we have a dozen rooms, five that are a bit more luxurious each with their own commode, and seven smaller rooms each with a single bed. We also have the common room. The luxury rooms are two gold pieces per night night standard, the smaller rooms would be five silver pieces. Or you can sleep in the common room for one copper piece each."

Looking the group over she responds. "For a group like yours I would probably suggest two of the luxury rooms though you can of course decide otherwise."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bastion

"I believe two luxury rooms will be acceptable for our needs. Thank you." Bastion hands over three days payment.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Duvash

"We're here for the festival, as I bet you guessed," Duvash says brightly. "Since you're from here, do you have any suggestions of what we should make sure to check out?"

Diplomacy result of 10 to gather info.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The Rusty Dragon

Ameiko takes the twelve gold from Bastion, and then fishes out two keys. One has a carving of a Gold Dragon upon it, another a Silver Dragon.

She looks thoughtful at the question about what to do. "Well there might be some games or food stalls already set up, though most of that will happen tomorrow. Of course during your stay you can partake of the all you can eat buffet I put out here for three silver per person, and get a chance to try out my new dish before the contest tomorrow. Tomorrow there will be a number of games such as the sack race, weightlifting challenges, hide and seek, balance beam, tug of war, the Devil's Hunt, the Goblin Toss, the Lighthouse Smash, and the Dragon Races."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lagarto

Lagarto's eyes go wide at the description of the games and they begin bouncing on the balls of their feet. "That sounds amazing! Your town seems have a number of local games with highly regionalized names. I definitely want to learn all about them and the rules they have." Noting what appears to be a trace of dismay flicker across the innkeeper's features, Lagarto continues, "Do you know someone in town who might know the origin of some of them? Or failing that, someone who can teach me the rules." They give a broad, winsome smile.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Gentle

Gentle is extremely polite, and bows twice to the lady Ameiko then curtsies for good measure. Each gesture flows from her in an entirely different style, precise and distinctly their own. As she finishes she snags the golden dragon key and heads towards the stairs.

"Thank you for guest-right fairest. We shall defend your abode as our own." Climbing the stairs she looks intently for the matching room, then, making sure the door is firmly closed begins to stretch.

"Now all we need is a knight and we're in at least three different stories and two epic poems. There's trouble here, I can smell it." Taking a moment, she looks over the room. (Perception 24

"Not in the room but then..." She pokes her head back out into the hall and looks for her companions. "We might have to go" her voice drops to a whisper "shopping."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bastion

"We should relieve ourselves of our traveling supplies and then learn what we can. That may involve commerce, research, or your eating of the offered buffet."

OldMidgetWillow
Aug 12, 2004

Pulque

"Easy enough." Pulque stomps upstairs and divests himself of his most valuable possession--with a buffet on the table, he shouldn't be needing his 'snack bag' for the next while. Pity the fools who offered the mythical All You Can Eat; though on further inspection, how many of them actually ate? Would that be suspicious? It is as if lightning is set off in the cactus-man's brain, something that cannot be denied.

"Bastion, my dearest companion. I don't want to assume anything, but I note that Iron Golems are not known for their, ah, functional digestive systems. To keep up appearances, you may need to still partake of the buffet. I propose...a plan, for the good of us all. Assuming you have some internal storage, that is." He then outlines the bare bones of a plan involving finger-foods and ingesting a bag in advance. "What do you think?"

OldMidgetWillow fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 13, 2020

8one6
May 20, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bastion
"I..." Bastion pauses for several seconds and his head tilts slightly "I am mostly hollow otherwise I would weigh several thousand pounds." He pauses again for several more seconds. "I will make the attempt."

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Ignea Parsleygust

Ignea puts a finger to her lips in thought as she kicks her feet. "Can you really not enjoy a good feasting, Bas?" She lowers her voice slightly as she continues "I mean I have all the big-folk fat and bones, or at least more than I should."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Duvash

"Do you ... not normally have bones, Ignea?" Duvash says skeptically, as she examines her own arm. "I think I still have all the same bones? How would you even be able to tell? Do you think they just change shape and size a bit but are still the same bones, or are they totally different ones that the normal ones switch to?"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Ignea Parsleygust

She stops. Raising a baffled eyebrow at Duvash. "I'm no big-folk researcher, so honestly it could be crystallized magic in here, but..." She hops off Bastion's shoulders and plants her bare feet on the ground with a thump.

"I am clearly both taller and not a puddle of meat!"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Duvash

"Yeah, but like, they could just be the regular bones just stretched out a bit!" Duvash says brightly, before pausing. "Though I suppose that doesn't work for Pulque, Om, and Bastion." Duvash leans on her hand and taps her finger on her cheek. "We'll have to test it. Next time somebody breaks a bone, change back and see if it's still broken. If you normally have bones, that is."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Ignea Parsleygust

Ignea gives a big thumbs up.

"Got it!"