Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

OneEightHundred posted:

Harry the Handsome Executive is... surreal to say the least. I don't know how to explain it. It's an explorer/shooter/Frogger game in a swivel chair set in a Dilbert-esque office, and later, a hell dungeon.

Fun fact about that one: according to an interview with the lead dev (published in The Secret History of Mac Gaming, that cool book from the post above mine), he was in high school when he made the game and his only experience with office life at the time was reading Dilbert and watching Office Space. It's a pretty fun game, though: it's essentially a top-down shooter with mild puzzle elements whose main gimmick is that you're sitting in an office chair at all times, so it's a lot faster to move backwards than forwards.

quote:

Quagmire is one of the few platformers and it's vaguely Prince of Persia-esque with difficult controls and harsh difficulty.

Rather than Prince of Persia, it reminded me more of the earlier classic Mac game Dark Castle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkbp4wurW0

That was one of the first games I played on my dad's Mac Plus back in the early 90s, and there's a full remake of the game and its sequel with added content called Return to Dark Castle on the Mac App Store. A Windows port was planned at one point, but I don't think it ever materialized.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

toiletbrush posted:

Exile was awesome, Realmz was really good too.

Realmz started out as a pretty cool D&D knockoff and then got increasingly bloated and weird with updates over the years. Add in three subtly different versions of each of the three primary spellcasting classes, for a total of nine pure casters? Sure, why not! Retroactively convert all the dungeons to first-person view when they were never designed for that, and then convert them back a few updates later? Go for it!

There was also a sci-fi version of it called New Centurions that was blatantly just Realmz with reskinned classes and races. I don't think that one ever really took off.