Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
My uncle just gave me his old Apple IIe and a binder full of pirated games. The floppy drives sound like they need a bit of TLC, and the video output only works if the cable is held in place at an upward angle, but otherwise it's working great.

Unfortunately I only had time tonight to set it up and test. If tomorrow wasn't the first day of classes for the school I work at, I'd definitely be staying up all night playing these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The composite video jack probably just needs to be soldered back together. It’s really common for them to break on Apple IIs.

Luckily the problem was just as much with the 30 year old cable as it was the jack. Using a new cable it's only slightly flakey.

I made babbys first Apple II mod:

Cut the wire off a spare PC internal speaker and wired the ends to a 3.5mm jack so that I can connect external speakers to the motherboard beeper output and be able to control the volume.

I've also got ADTpro working so that I can write disk images to the 5.25 floppy drives from my PC through the IIe's SuperSerial card. I'm going to start with Number Munchers and the other MECC educational games/software. The blank Dysan floppies that I got with this still read and write like they're new.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 5, 2020

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

You can boot from USB for installing an OS on Power Mac or iMac G3 G4 and G5: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/articles/115-how-to-boot-ppc-powermacs-g3-g4-g5-from-a-usb-stick-or-drive-