Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

About what it says. When my computer is running, if I pick it up by the middle of the main body of it, similar to a waiter carrying a tray, it blue screens. Or at least, that was originally when it was doing that. Recently it's also has crashed when I went to shut it down, and a couple of times when I was moving it carrying from the edge.

There is a part of me that thinks that by carrying it from the middle may have damaged the RAM, as that is right where I would balance it, and it is free-floating above the motherboard a bit, only being held by the port, but I'm not sure. If it were the RAM being damaged, I would have thought that it would have crashed more by now. I took off the back panel over the weekend to see if I could see anything obvious, but there wasn't really anything.

I'm in the US with Windows 10, the laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad P52s. Thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Monitor temps with something like HWInfo, some light googling indicates that model has heatsink contact issues.

My gut guess would be the HDD's freefall sensor is triggering it if that model has one, check manufacturer's website for driver update as most cheaper ones are software/bus controlled.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

DOOMocrat posted:

Monitor temps with something like HWInfo, some light googling indicates that model has heatsink contact issues.

My gut guess would be the HDD's freefall sensor is triggering it if that model has one, check manufacturer's website for driver update as most cheaper ones are software/bus controlled.

would the freefall sensor be a part of the HDD or would it be a seperate sensor? I switched over to a SSD ~1.5 years ago, so I don't know if that would have the same stuff.

actually, I just remembered that the error code on the blue screen was often MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or something like that, I don't know how relavent that is. I don't remember for sure what the error code is, but I know it was MEMORY_[something], and MEMORY_MANGEMENT is getting autofilled on google, so I think that's what I had been googling last time around

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 10, 2020

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I've run a heat monitor the last ~20 minutes, doing my typical use, and I'm just getting mid 40's C to mid 50's C. Heat is an issue with this laptop, and that's something that I noticed really early on, so I mostly just run it in battery saver mode. I game a little bit, but not much, so that isn't really counted as part of this, but I've also never really had issues with it crashing while gaming.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Re-seat your ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah, it sounds like a loose or failing DIMM.