Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Defiance Industries posted:

The writers agree with you on that, which is why they've really walked back how much of that is an actual product of the Clans. The gear we know as "Clan technology" is basically all just stuff that was in the prototyping phase when the SLDF left the Inner Sphere and they then put a finishing touch on to get to full production. That's why they go from 2850 to 3050 without any real technological advances, they got to the end of their crib sheet.

Don't undersell the factor that their infrastructure wasn't bombed to poo poo, and the radically different social context meaning applications that were never considered before being feasible, such as mass production of exowombs.

Ironically, despite their militarism, they've made quite a few innovations outside of military tech, significantly in the life sciences - to get poo poo like these guys:

It took some significant biotech chops to make the elemental; from some analysis on the Btech forums, an elemental isn't just a giant guy, there's some significant alterations made to their cardiovascular system to allow them to both be huge and hench, but also move insanely fast, and it's implied the changes to them complicated their propagation programs until the Diamond Sharks managed to debug the process.

I'd be all over battletech as a game if Catalyst weren't well known contractor screwers, and I didn't know folks who literally were put out of house and home by their fuckery. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

RBA Starblade posted:

Everything about the Clans is dumb as gently caress

I'm old enough to remember pre and post-Clans Battletech, like not the in-game eras but in real life how Battletech was before the Clans were even mentioned, and it is very much like pre and post black album Metallica.

Yes. Every single thing about the Clans is truly dumb as gently caress.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

StratGoatCom posted:

Don't undersell the factor that their infrastructure wasn't bombed to poo poo

The 20 year long Exodus Civil war, Operation KLONDIKE, The Culling that followed, Clan Wolverine, Clan Widowmaker all might object to that statement in varying degrees.

The clans are dumb.
They are, however, infinitely preferable to "Hanse Davion meets the Yuuzhan Vong" as an exciting new protagonist to 'spice up' the universe. Especially if the Yuuzhan Vong were the totally real bird aliens.
They're marginally better than calling the move forward in the timeline "The Jihad" and the "The Dark Age". Which even if helped to reset some stuff are just cringe worthy, imo, from what I've read on them.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 13, 2020

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Big Beef City posted:

The 20 year long Exodus Civil war, Operation KLONDIKE, The Culling that followed, Clan Wolverine, Clan Widowmaker all might object to that statement in varying degrees.

The clans are dumb.
They are, however, infinitely preferable to "Hanse Davion meets the Yuuzhan Vong" as an exciting new protagonist to 'spice up' the universe. Especially if the Yuuzhan Vong were the totally real bird aliens.
They're marginally better than calling the move forward in the timeline "The Jihad" and the "The Dark Age". Which even if helped to reset some stuff are just cringe worthy, imo, from what I've read on them.

That's 20 years, versus 4 succession wars over 300 years. Pretty different in level.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Eh, it's 20 years of warfare over 5 planets that contain your entire society as opposed to 300 over however many hundreds/couple thousand are in the innersphere, which...obviously is nitpicky and the IS got hella raked over the coals, c'mon. But I doubt the Pentagon Worlds had "A Great Time" during that given how things had been going.

Regardless that is not BattleTech Art.

Now this, THIS right here is art. A Yeoman.

Just LOOK at that grace. That splendor.

How you feelin about THAT new ride, Mechwarrior?!

You drat right.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

Eh, it's 20 years of warfare over 5 planets that contain your entire society as opposed to 300 over however many hundreds/couple thousand are in the innersphere, which...obviously is nitpicky and the IS got hella raked over the coals, c'mon. But I doubt the Pentagon Worlds had "A Great Time" during that given how things had been going.

Isn't the idea that the Pentagon Worlds did kick the crap out of themselves, then Nicky's troops (who were uninvolved) come in and conquer them? More analogous to if ComStar had the industrial base/inclination to take over the Inner Sphere after the succession wars instead of playing telephone wizards

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Foxfire_ posted:

Isn't the idea that the Pentagon Worlds did kick the crap out of themselves, then Nicky's troops (who were uninvolved) come in and conquer them? More analogous to if ComStar had the industrial base/inclination to take over the Inner Sphere after the succession wars instead of playing telephone wizards

Yeah, the state of the Pentagon Worlds when the Clans arrived was described as "cobbled-together mechs scavenging for drinkable water and spare parts." In under 20 years and with no outside forces, they did to themselves what the Inner Sphere needed 200 years and ComStar to accomplish.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My favorite part of the Clans is making 20 separate societies with arena football team names and clipart-rear end logos

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

*heavy breathing*
I'll have you know...
... That Actually...
Clan Space Weasel is a storied... And... Dignified...

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I have this weird feeling of loving Battletech and loathing it, knowing it really is at its peak when it is at its most trashy.

For instance:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

GD_American posted:

I have this weird feeling of loving Battletech and loathing it, knowing it really is at its peak when it is at its most trashy.

For instance:

Ironically he’s royalty and she’s the rogue!

i have no idea

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Did somebody ask for a mysterious...Royal Rogue??"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Commissioning Picasso to do the art for your game is a bold, but innovative, move.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Ironically he’s royalty and she’s the rogue!

i have no idea

Pictured: both

Nihongi von Rohrs. Coordinator of the Draconis Combine. Literally the offspring of a Kuritan princess and a stable boy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Some Goon posted:

Commissioning Picasso to do the art for your game is a bold, but innovative, move.

Beats just tracing famous people if you ask me.

Hey guys it's me, Precentor Bruno, leader of the Com Guard!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I liked the old simpler portraits from the House books. A few of them were a little wonky but most of them were distinct enough to give the characters some personality.

Pictured: the 11th, 13th, and 16th Coordinator of the Draconis Combine.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"A distinct personality is exactly right! Which is what I PRECISELY am, uh, Little Richard. With a distinct personality like THIS, how can you NOT trust me! Say, would you like to see what I have in this gilded box?"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Victor Ian Steiner-Pine-Davion

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Personally, I prefer the Peter Dinklage version of Victor.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Enhance

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
The asymmetrical thong makes it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"The lowest wire controls MASC."
...what
"You know how to activate MASC, don't you? You just..."

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Oh I hate this thread. All the OG art triggered buried memories of playing the poo poo out of this game as a fetus, so I dropped forty spacebux on the PC game and now I'm trapped in a middle management investment strategy simulator.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm pretty convinced there was a secret contest at FASA to out-extreme each other both in Mechwarrior neurohelmets, which have gone from "diving bell" to here which is just "the whole frigging decompression chamber"

and in hairstyles, of which this is the fuckin' champ

Bonus:

Katrina Steiner was known for her beauty

Lastly, my absolute favorite Merc unit, Wilson's Hussars. They literally have special rules for their unit on how crappy they are. You have to roll for critical hits already done to their Mechs while you're setting them up.

And this dude's man panties.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

There needs to be a bare leg mod for the startup sequence in MWO.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Offical Horny Natasha Kerensky spoiled for mild NSFW

What is with all the half naked mechwarriors anyways? It is the heat thing?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, you also have to wear hella thick boots so that the bottoms of your feet don't burn, blister and fester. It's also visual shorthand for "this is a Succession Wars-era pilot, not one from the Star League or the post-Clan Invasion period" since the other eras have people wearing full-body coolant suits instead of just a vest.

Unless you're from a real poo poo unit like Wilson's Hussars, then you're still wearing the vest and stripping down.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Sorry I don't have an funny 80's pilots/etc to post

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 19, 2020

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

A level of chaps... beyond assless...

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVAqhPBUXlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=508omvRHYm8
I got you bro

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just skim around these at random. It's beautiful.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Just skim around these at random. It's beautiful.

Genuinely some incredible content

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Yeah, you also have to wear hella thick boots so that the bottoms of your feet don't burn, blister and fester. It's also visual shorthand for "this is a Succession Wars-era pilot, not one from the Star League or the post-Clan Invasion period" since the other eras have people wearing full-body coolant suits instead of just a vest.

Unless you're from a real poo poo unit like Wilson's Hussars, then you're still wearing the vest and stripping down.

:smithwarrior:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

What is with all the half naked mechwarriors anyways? It is the heat thing?

Middle schoolers and older grognards who bought miniatures with their disability check made up....pretty much the entirety of the BT playing population where I grew up, and they're both fairly horny groups

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Not quite art per se, but kickass all the same.

Best Battletech cosplay ever:

Gallery here

anakha fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 25, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
BattleTech ships big.

Pictured: A Supervillain the hero the setting needed

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GD_American posted:

Middle schoolers and older grognards who bought miniatures with their disability check made up....pretty much the entirety of the BT playing population where I grew up, and they're both fairly horny groups

Yea but most of them are dudes.

Always a fan of the first edition of Citytech's cover. That Archer just plowing through the buildings like they were nothing and the tank crew getting the gently caress out of there.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He should not be wasting his LRMs by trying to hit that tank though. You can't hit poo poo with a minimum range penalty that high

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

He should not be wasting his LRMs by trying to hit that tank though. You can't hit poo poo with a minimum range penalty that high

There's probably a Stalker or Hunchback just off panel its firing at.

Speaking of Hunchbacks, meet Mr Buttstomp

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

twistedmentat posted:

There's probably a Stalker or Hunchback just off panel its firing at.

Speaking of Hunchbacks, meet Mr Buttstomp

It's tempting to try and colour this so that I can make out what the gently caress is going on in it