Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Our own Xarbala drew this and it was partially responsible for him getting a gig doing official art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jim Long-un posted:

tbh I'm disappointed nobody has ever threaded the needle and made a mech with huge hair and shoulderpads

Sorry, you rang?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Reseen were hit and miss, but the Reseen Griffin is my favorite kind of Griffin.

Just look at those majestic fuckers hanging out with Archon Peter. And when you need to tune them up you can just walk them out of the Triad through giant mech-sized double doors.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hey I know the guy who drew this one

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Polaron posted:

I originally had these in the PYF fanart thread:

Brutal Punch isn't fanart, it's official work. Still good stuff though.

This, on the other hand? Best mech ever, and if you don't agree?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

https://www.categoryonegames.com/catalog/battletech_ccg-commanders_edition/brutal_punch/1559481

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Pretty cool that despite having to build a society from scratch in deep space and also have a bunch of internal conflict the clans not only maintained their technological advantage, actually advanced beyond the successor states.

And by pretty cool, I mean a bunch of loving bullshit

The writers agree with you on that, which is why they've really walked back how much of that is an actual product of the Clans. The gear we know as "Clan technology" is basically all just stuff that was in the prototyping phase when the SLDF left the Inner Sphere and they then put a finishing touch on to get to full production. That's why they go from 2850 to 3050 without any real technological advances, they got to the end of their crib sheet.

GD_American posted:

Speaking of which, here's the exact moment where things went to poo poo for the Star League-in-Exile

This isn't a picture of Kerensky promoting his insane son straight to Major General though

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All the "cool" Clan mechs are just kitbashes of mechs that were already in the game, the rest are just square boxes or the stupidest looking animals ever. But they do have the technology to model a horse actively making GBS threads.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Foxfire_ posted:

Isn't the idea that the Pentagon Worlds did kick the crap out of themselves, then Nicky's troops (who were uninvolved) come in and conquer them? More analogous to if ComStar had the industrial base/inclination to take over the Inner Sphere after the succession wars instead of playing telephone wizards

Yeah, the state of the Pentagon Worlds when the Clans arrived was described as "cobbled-together mechs scavenging for drinkable water and spare parts." In under 20 years and with no outside forces, they did to themselves what the Inner Sphere needed 200 years and ComStar to accomplish.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Some Goon posted:

Commissioning Picasso to do the art for your game is a bold, but innovative, move.

Beats just tracing famous people if you ask me.

Hey guys it's me, Precentor Bruno, leader of the Com Guard!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, you also have to wear hella thick boots so that the bottoms of your feet don't burn, blister and fester. It's also visual shorthand for "this is a Succession Wars-era pilot, not one from the Star League or the post-Clan Invasion period" since the other eras have people wearing full-body coolant suits instead of just a vest.

Unless you're from a real poo poo unit like Wilson's Hussars, then you're still wearing the vest and stripping down.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He should not be wasting his LRMs by trying to hit that tank though. You can't hit poo poo with a minimum range penalty that high

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's butts, and they are being stomped. What else do you need to know?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yes, except that it's a Panther, not a Wolfhound. They look pretty similar but that has jump jets in its legs and no rear-firing laser.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's been a while since I watched Macross, but everything besides Veritechs seemed to exist exclusively for the purpose of being destroyed en masse by them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I call it "two different book covers"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They do make the Vindi look cool, which imo is missing the point of the mech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If it was, one of Stackpole's self-inserts (probably Phelan, but possibly Kai) would have to gently caress it

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bug Squash posted:

Aren't those also the only aliens in Battletech as well? Seems a tiny hill to drop that bombshell on?

There's plenty of aliens, but there's only two sapient species.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The best flag of all is New Samarkad, of course.

They just put a loving NINJA on theirs because Urizen Kurita was history's greatest weeb.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pictured: the patriarch of the franchise's most prominent Black family

And my boss

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aerospace pilots, not mechwarriors. A normally proportioned human is too big to fit in the space they had, plus pilots seem to have a higher washout rate so they had a bunch of skinny big-headed fucks lying around.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They're being driven by washed-out pilots anyway. Might as well see if you can use that, I guess.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Like most tripodal walkers it's kinda like spinning around, but forward.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Liberator's still my favorite from that book. Heat dissipation 0.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Lyran solution

Wangker Aerospace is a Feddie company. They built that thing on Axton, near Kathil.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"I'm gonna give this company named after jacking it a contract to build airplanes," said someone real dumb

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Duke Lestrade had his balls blown off by House Kurita and decided that was somehow Katerina Steiner's fault. He's one of the more realistic and believable Stackpole characters.

He also... frame-blamed? them for his father's death. Like it wasn't enough he killed his father and blamed it on the Kuritas, he also blamed the 3rd Royal Guards for not stopping the imaginary Kurita assassins.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They're DCMS infantry, if they don't throw the grenade the Friendly Persuaders will wipe out their extended families.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Clans and ComStar are the two remaining vestiges of the American government, which is a really good argument for why the terrorists are right about us

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MadDogMike posted:

It's not even that they "overlook" violent play, the one onscreen time we saw the Clans playing lacrosse spearing your opponents with your stick was one of the legitimate ways to score points (if somewhat worse than actually scoring a goal). As for the culture, I find it terribly depressing they seem to have gotten even worse about being dicks than when they started with maybe a few exceptions who seem to have kind of branched off almost completely from regular Clan society (not sure that Sea Fox does any bloody conquest anymore, though if they've embraced late stage capitalism perhaps that's even worse).

I mean, why wouldn't they get worse? They're a tiny minority who came in to enforce their chosen social order on a much larger and divergent population, from whom they sequester themselves. That's not a recipe to get better, even if you come from a culture which attaches value to human life (which we are told outright the Clans do not)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GD_American posted:

The House Kurita symbol and the perpetual Battletech "lol camouflage is lostech" paintjob should be enough

It's more like "yeah they should be using camo but also ranges should be 10x what they are and neither of those is fun"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The MRBC listed the signature tactics of Richard's Panzer Brigade as false flag attacks, attacking under a flag of truce and impersonating medical aid so I would assume so.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah "Mad Cat" was manually entered, not the computer doing it itself.

That's why I call the 65 and 70-ton omnis both the Warhunderbolt.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Or just don't let Hackpole do it at all, find a better author.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cease to Hope posted:

good authors generally aren't jumping at the opportunity to work in the licensed-novel salt mines

They got Charette, give him the wheel.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Oh no there would be fewer novels but they would actually be good instead

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Big Beef City posted:

No, I meant the fan art one, not the black/white line drawing. That one I knew. :/
I worded my post funky and it came off more as "What the hell is THAT" rather than "What variant is the fan art drawing supposed to be or is it just supposed to be a good fan art drawing of it in general". My bad. If it IS supposed to be one, I was just curious which.

Doesn't map to any variant. There are no Masakaris with four lasers in the torso.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You're better off not bothering with the novels anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And there's the added layer that he's doing exactly what the Combine accused the Commonwealth of doing when they embargoed them centuries ago (an embargo that, near as I can tell, never really got lifted other than for military tech).