Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Ducks won their Cup in the very first season as the Anaheim Ducks (after starting out as the Mighty Duck of Anaheim).

While the Vegas Golden Knights are still competitive, they need to become the Las Vegas Knights.

Having a properly formatted name is the number one decider if you're going to win a Cup or not. It's a premium fancy stat most don't know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Gerblederp posted:

gonna be super sick in 3 years time when Maurice finally gets fired and they hire Babcock

I really really need Dallas (the team with a new coach halfway through the season) to win the Cup, if Cooper and Tampa wins PoMo will be here forever

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

FBS posted:

I really really need Dallas (the team with a new coach halfway through the season) to win the Cup, if Cooper and Tampa wins PoMo will be here forever

On the other hand an endlessly underachieving sports team is very very Winnipeg

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Gerblederp posted:

On the other hand an endlessly underachieving sports team is very very Winnipeg

Stupid Blue Bombers blowing the streak.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

glynnenstein posted:

His deal was reported to be 5 years at $4mil per.

And Trotz wanted $5 million from the Caps and more term than they wanted to give.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Stupid Blue Bombers blowing the streak.

The final CFL champs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/RomulusNotNuma/status/1305684575583113216

a lot going on here

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
rare to see colton teubert's name these days

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Teubert sucked, but the Oilers did get the 19th overall pick (Oscar Klefbom) out of that deal where they sent Dustin Penner to the Kings, so at least it wasn't all bad.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mr. Kite posted:

The Ducks won their Cup in the very first season as the Anaheim Ducks (after starting out as the Mighty Duck of Anaheim).

While the Vegas Golden Knights are still competitive, they need to become the Las Vegas Knights.

Having a properly formatted name is the number one decider if you're going to win a Cup or not. It's a premium fancy stat most don't know about.

If people get their way and have the city of Columbus renamed, I'm starting a motion to rename the team the Ohio Jackets. The name will suck but, if this precedent tracks, :getin:.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

It took the Blackhawks 24 years to win a cup after they condensed their name from Black Hawks, but then they won two more. What I'm saying is you're onto something here.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
The Nordiques won a Cup the year after they changed their names. Went so far as to change location too.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

CBJSprague24 posted:

If people get their way and have the city of Columbus renamed, I'm starting a motion to rename the team the Ohio Jackets. The name will suck but, if this precedent tracks, :getin:.

Emulating the Coyotes seems like an interesting plan...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Flavortown Blue Raspberries.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kilza posted:

Teubert sucked, but the Oilers did get the 19th overall pick (Oscar Klefbom) out of that deal where they sent Dustin Penner to the Kings, so at least it wasn't all bad.
Now the Griffin Reinhart trade, that's just classic Oilers.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/1305921733187178496

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

See you space cowboy

An amazing talent for us on the ice and an extremely blessed individual off the ice. Braden and his family routinely championed LGBTQ rights and regularly marched in local pride parades every year. Sad to see his goaltending dip these past few years but he deserves one last mega contract before he’s put to pasture. A fresh start should give him the confidence boost needed. His legacy in DC will forever be cemented and I’ll proudly wear his jersey without shame for all of time.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 15, 2020

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1305928776862363649
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1305929692571148295

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

That’s a lottttt of term

edit: that’s going to take him to age 34....

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 15, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Good for Laviolette for getting paid, I guess.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Isn't Brodin not that great and shouldn't Minnesota be looking to trade him for assets at this point? What are they doing?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

fawning deference posted:

Isn't Brodin not that great and shouldn't Minnesota be looking to trade him for assets at this point? What are they doing?

Wild fans seem happy about this deal.

Now they have their top-4 of Suter, Dumba, Spurgeon, and now Brodin, signed to >6m deals for another 3 seasons. The issue is that the really have no great forwards. Interesting pieces, sure, but nothing great. Will be interesting to see what they do.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Given the reality that NHL free agency is loving Broken and does not at all reflect any sort of period where players are at their best, it's not a bad deal.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/Account4hockey/status/1305959176921899017

great scoop darren. fantastic

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

fawning deference posted:

He is a really great shot suppression guy and overall one of the best defensive-minded defensemen in the league (granted he has never scored more than 8 goals in a season) but I would say it’s very optimistic to lock into the idea that he will be able to keep up with increasingly faster and younger opponents 5+ years into the future.

6 mil is not bad, the 7 years is bad. The Wild needing to blow things up is another story

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 15, 2020

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Don't worry, this looks like a dude with a clear vision.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Darren Dreger reporting that a player wants to go to Toronto? I never...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

With what cap space would the Leafs even be able to be players in the Pietrangelo sweepstakes

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
They've actually got a little space now. They should really spend it in D, and certain it on a top six forward, but they could.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I was living in The State Of Hockey when they signed Parise and Sutter to those terrible contracts and everyone was super excited and had extra Lefsa for supper.

I'm not surprised that they're one again happy about a super long, probably terrible contact.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

There's no way at all Pietrangelo could go to either of those teams unless they cleared out a ton of cap space. I doubt Vegas would even be interested as they have other issues to fix.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

With what cap space would the Leafs even be able to be players in the Pietrangelo sweepstakes

Cody Ceci and Tyson Barrie vanishing into the ether is going to help.

I heard that Laviolette is actually a bad coach who got lucky a couple of times, which probably describes most NHL GMs and coaches but anyway!

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1305983288297783298

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

DOOMocrat posted:

Don't worry, this looks like a dude with a clear vision.

If he was writing his vision down and banged his head on the desk, yeah the paper would be clear.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

Cody Ceci and Tyson Barrie vanishing into the ether is going to help.

$6 million by capfriendly's count and that'd be a hell of a discount for Pietrangelo to take
they'd probably have to lose at least one of Johnsson or Kerfoot (or I guess Muzzin?) but they also have $3-4 million worth of RFAs to sign, too
I don't see how they'd do it without gutting their bottom 6 or losing Nylander

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/nhl_watcher/status/1305978492488749057?s=21

Somebody hire this man as GM already

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's dumb but that probably does happen. All online communities once they reach a certain size turn to bullying anyone who doesn't agree with them.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

he is wrong not just for valuing stupid things but also in that now that the NHL is tracking shot speed you can in fact have a stat for "100mph shots blocked"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

$6 million by capfriendly's count and that'd be a hell of a discount for Pietrangelo to take
they'd probably have to lose at least one of Johnsson or Kerfoot (or I guess Muzzin?) but they also have $3-4 million worth of RFAs to sign, too
I don't see how they'd do it without gutting their bottom 6 or losing Nylander

Johnsson is pretty much a given and would have no impact on the bottom 6; there are plenty of bodies to replace him. Muzzin is going nowhere. Kerfoot, eh? I suppose he could go for a cheaper replacement but probably not. Someone has to play 3C and Spezza/Engvall/random free agent isn't a great list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Please for the love of god yes. Do it Arizona, do it! Nobody cares about desert hockey anyway and we’d have years of comedy to make fun of!