Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It's whichever ones you dig up to fit your narrative op. How do you think I make such insufferable posts?

seems accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DeAngelo seems like a prime candidate for a bridge deal to me. His value to the team and powerplay is more than what he'd get in a trade and I think the pivot to win now has occurred for the Rangers. Give him a two year deal to see if this season was a fluke or not. Not bother breaking the bank to buy up some UFA years. If he gets too expensive he's a valuable deadline chip down the line. The Rangers did it with Skjei, so it's not like it's unprecedented for them. Gorton knows what he's doing.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Tony D: 30 points 5v5 - 19 on the power play. 4th and 9th in the league respectively and 4th overall in the league at all strengths. On a /60 rate basis remains 4th overall 5v5 and 14th on the powerplay. As for the fancies 2nd best at 5v5 in terms of corsi split, shots for, and xG. Slightly tempered by the fact he received 56% lean towards the offensive zone. That's Natural Stat data. Hockey reference has him as a career +corsi rel player and a positive xG player for the Rangers.

My dumb take is he spent the playoffs and most of the regular season stapled to Marc Staal and his numbers without Staal or Smith are very good. He's *probably* not a top pairing guy, but give him soft starts and PP time and his upside massively outweigh the downside.

Edit: He's like a cut rate Krug imo.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Tony D: 30 points 5v5 - 19 on the power play. 4th and 9th in the league respectively and 4th overall in the league at all strengths. On a /60 rate basis remains 4th overall 5v5 and 14th on the powerplay. As for the fancies 2nd best at 5v5 in terms of corsi split, shots for, and xG. Slightly tempered by the fact he received 56% lean towards the offensive zone. That's Natural Stat data. Hockey reference has him as a career +corsi rel player and a positive xG player for the Rangers.

My dumb take is he spent the playoffs and most of the regular season stapled to Marc Staal and his numbers without Staal or Smith are very good. He's *probably* not a top pairing guy, but give him soft starts and PP time and his upside massively outweigh the downside.

Edit: He's like a cut rate Krug imo.

I agree with this take

You don't pay him like a top defenseman but you can't discount his offensive contributions and think he's worthless

His value in a trade likely depends on what another team wants and their cap space...if there's a team out there that really needs offense from their blueline and a PP QB and has cap space to sign him to a bigger deal (and has a good partner to pair him with etc) then he could be quite valuable to them. Does that hypothetical team have something the Rangers want?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

I don't think we should take a ton from the play in tournament. I agree he looked like poo poo but 3 games after a 4 month layoff is a dumb way to evaluate any player.

And ya'll do realize he was 4th in the league in scoring for defensemen this season before the 'rona hit right?

He's not good defensively but I"m again amazed that everyone seems to want to ignore that he was gonna put up over 60 points and act like that's nothing

Again im amazed you constantly focus on points when he can't play defense to save his worthless homophobic life.

We've got a kid named Adam Fox who can run a PP just fine, is cost controlled for a few more years, and isn't a giant shithead.

Trade Deangelo to some team who has the same tunnel vision you do.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

DeAngelo seems like a prime candidate for a bridge deal to me. His value to the team and powerplay is more than what he'd get in a trade and I think the pivot to win now has occurred for the Rangers. Give him a two year deal to see if this season was a fluke or not. Not bother breaking the bank to buy up some UFA years. If he gets too expensive he's a valuable deadline chip down the line. The Rangers did it with Skjei, so it's not like it's unprecedented for them. Gorton knows what he's doing.

I wouldn't even bridge him. Give him his RFA tender and that's it, trade him at next season's deadline.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Again im amazed you constantly focus on points when he can't play defense to save his worthless homophobic life.

We've got a kid named Adam Fox who can run a PP just fine, is cost controlled for a few more years, and isn't a giant shithead.

Trade Deangelo to some team who has the same tunnel vision you do.

You're being real drat weird about this.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Levitate posted:

You're being real drat weird about this.

I'm really not. It's all right there and you're hemming and hawing saying he's not the bad at defense. On a team which desperately needs actual real defenders.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm really not. It's all right there and you're hemming and hawing saying he's not the bad at defense. On a team which desperately needs actual real defenders.

I dunno I think the game requires you to score to win and trading away someone that seems capable at generating offense 5v5 at a greater rate than he gets scored on seems like a pretty good thing.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

you accuse me of having tunnel vision yet are far more single minded about this plus you're being lovely about it for no apparent reason

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Levitate posted:

you accuse me of having tunnel vision yet are far more single minded about this plus you're being lovely about it for no apparent reason

When I see the two defensemen on the ice get absolutely postered like Staal/Deangelo did vs Aho, yeah, im pretty single minded about defenders who can actually defend.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

When I see the two defensemen on the ice get absolutely postered like Staal/Deangelo did vs Aho, yeah, im pretty single minded about defenders who can actually defend.

This is how you get Chris Tanev for 5 years at $5.75m per.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Scott Mellanby should become the Panthers GM and then throw rats onto the ice from the press box.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I expected fans of the lottery-winning team to get sniped by a few posters, but I wasn't anticipating it to be friendly fire.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ginette Reno posted:

JJ is just so goddamned bad. I get that JR doesn't want to directly throw him under the bus because he'd probably like to trade him but Jesus Christ just buy him out or bury him in the minors or do whatever it loving takes to get him off the team. Anything would be better than having him on the roster.
Honestly don't think the Pens are in a bad position if they just drop a lot of dead weight and buy out JJ

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Blaming the 48.6 corsi and +2.8 corsi rel player for the issues when played with the 42% corsi and -6 corsi rel and career -2.5% corsi rel player is really weird. Especially when you're bringing up Aho which is a 3 game sample size. But hey by all means trade away the very useful offensive defensive player that is only RFA and can be cost controlled. Surely this is a good idea.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Blaming the 48.6 corsi and +2.8 corsi rel player for the issues when played with the 42% corsi and -6 corsi rel and career -2.5% corsi rel player is really weird. Especially when you're bringing up Aho which is a 3 game sample size. But hey by all means trade away the very useful offensive defensive player that is only RFA and can be cost controlled. Surely this is a good idea.

I've been pretty clear they should tender him at most. But he should get a long term contract or be considered part of the future and I don't know what any of that means :lol:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

I've been pretty clear they should tender him at most. But he should get a long term contract or be considered part of the future and I don't know what any of that means :lol:

I wouldn’t accuse people of having tunnel vision when you ignore multiple statistics that are counteracting your argument and respond with :lol:

I think DeAngelo is a giant shithead, I also think he is generally one-dimensional. But I’m not going to ignore his positives in a league where effective PMD are crucial and hard to find. I’d be happy if they moved on but it is not a open-shut case.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Pungry posted:

Scott Mellanby should become the Panthers GM and then throw rats onto the ice from the press box.

I’m pretty sure Scott Mellanby is a name more recognized by half the people in Broward County than anyone currently on the roster.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don't think DeAngelo is going to play under a qualifying offer after putting up 50+ points in a shortened season

e: I mean saying that they should give him a qualifying offer is meaningless since the alternative is letting him become an UFA for no reason

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I can't say much about his defense or offense or whatever, but I do know one thing
Tony DeAngelo can eat a steaming hot fresh bowl of cocks.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Bob was saying on TSN Radio today that the Kings might be leaning towards Stützle at 2nd overall. If Ottawa can come out of the draft with a blue chip, 6’4 centre prospect in Byfield and grab a super high ceiling player like Lucas Raymond at 5, this could be the best draft haul in their history.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
If junior hockey is disrupted are 2021 draft picks worth less? Like, say the season gets wiped out by a coronavirus resurgence in the winter, is there any reason to value a 20th overall pick more than an 80th overall pick if we've only had 2/3rd out of 2 possible seasons to evaluate players?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Flocons de Jambon posted:

If junior hockey is disrupted are 2021 draft picks worth less? Like, say the season gets wiped out by a coronavirus resurgence in the winter, is there any reason to value a 20th overall pick more than an 80th overall pick if we've only had 2/3rd out of 2 possible seasons to evaluate players?
Their might be a little less value but it's not going to be 20th to 80th

The Dirty Burger posted:

Bob was saying on TSN Radio today that the Kings might be leaning towards Stützle at 2nd overall. If Ottawa can come out of the draft with a blue chip, 6’4 centre prospect in Byfield and grab a super high ceiling player like Lucas Raymond at 5, this could be the best draft haul in their history.
I mean given their picks that should be the expectation. It also seems like Ottawa prefers Stutzle themselves, for whatever that's worth.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

when you pick 3 and 5 it's hard to not come out of the draft seeming like you just hit a walkoff grand slam

Then there's the time the Rangers picked at 4 and 9

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I think you end up with a more noisy line without all the scouting, thus if normally pick 15 is worth pick 25 +35 then at a low scouting draft you would be better off having the latter.

You could amass second and third round picks and hope that someone that should have gone in the first falls down due to lack of scouting.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Rutherford: Master Problem Identifier

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1293557919364132874

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I am so shocked that two former players are assistant coaches. Funny how the best guy for the job always happens to be an ex-player for that team.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Does anyone have any good reads on Stützle? Because he'd have to be a hell of a prospect to be even in the conversation with Byfield, who looks like he himself would be a solid 1-1 pick in many other years.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Recchi's neck looks bigger than his head.

Pens I am disappoint.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Gonchar could probably lace em up and play better than JJ, lol

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Hand Knit posted:

Does anyone have any good reads on Stützle? Because he'd have to be a hell of a prospect to be even in the conversation with Byfield, who looks like he himself would be a solid 1-1 pick in many other years.

Pronman lists him a tier below Byfield (so, from the Special/Elite bubble to the Elite/High-End one). In his latest mock draft, he says those in the industry think it's a coin flip between the two.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

VOTE1 posted:

I think you end up with a more noisy line without all the scouting, thus if normally pick 15 is worth pick 25 +35 then at a low scouting draft you would be better off having the latter.

You could amass second and third round picks and hope that someone that should have gone in the first falls down due to lack of scouting.

I agree it'll be more noisy, but I think there could be a lower mean after the top 5. This cohort of players are going to miss some development opportunities that might cascade into missing other opportunities in the future.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
JR seems like a real piece of poo poo

quote:

Rutherford criticized the public beating Jack Johnson receives on social media and instead directed a shot in the direction of his defense partner, Justin Schultz.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Carp the Rangers beat writer on the athletic seems pretty convinced the Rangers are going to buy out Hank after JD and Gorton said they’re not going into next season with 3 goalies.

I gotta think you have to try and shop Georgiev no? The cap hit on these buyouts with Shattenkirk and now potentially Hank become a bit onerous.

Wasn’t Tyler Wall tearing it up in college? And then we just drafted Lindbom as well? Why not have Hank go one more year and then Wall can back up Igor. I mean if no one is offering anything on Georgiev I guess I get it but it just seems bad to keep doing this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wall was fantastic for Umass-Lowell, yeah.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

You'd think that Lundqvist at 50% retained would be a great option for a team looking for a short term starter solution. Someone like Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver would probably be interested. I'm not sure why they'd want to buy him out unless he's said he won't play for any other team than the Rangers.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Hand Knit posted:

I think it's mostly his skating setting him apart from the other guys in the top 3. He's as skilled as anyone outside of Lafreniere, but he's also one of the best skaters in the draft. He fits the mold of what the NHL is moving to - i.e. smaller, fast, highly skilled top-line players.

From Bob's TSN rankings:

quote:

While he’s the clear favourite to be No. 1 this year, some scouts did allow that it’s not heresy to suggest there may be a player or two in this draft, prospects who didn’t perform at Lafreniere’s level all season, who could eclipse Lafreniere in future years.

Scouts rave about his dynamic speed, drool over the deft touch of his hands and gush over his smarts and hockey sense.

“He puts it all together so well,” a scout said. “He can move his feet, hands and mind at top speed. It’s his ability to process everything so quickly that stands out.

Five of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN ranked Stutzle No. 2 overall; the same number had Byfield in that slot. But no scout surveyed had Stutzle lower than No. 3. Two of 10 slotted Byfield at No. 6, which is to say eight had him at No. 2 or No. 3. So there’s not a lot to choose between the two.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 12, 2020

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
drat, Rangers are on the hook for a $6 million cap hit for Shattenkirk next year.

If they buyout Lundqvist that's $13 million on the cap for buyouts. Still, it's less than the $16 million in cap hit they'd have for their buyouts + Lundqvist. Can they even afford to keep Georgiev?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

drat, Rangers are on the hook for a $6 million cap hit for Shattenkirk next year.

If they buyout Lundqvist that's $13 million on the cap for buyouts. Still, it's less than the $16 million in cap hit they'd have for their buyouts + Lundqvist. Can they even afford to keep Georgiev?

Honestly, probably not. There's also the Fast/Strome decision too. And who gets traded (possibly Buch?).