Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Apparently Lehner is one of the bigger free agents this offseason. How did he only get a one year deal after last year?

Goalies are voodoo...it’s why their trade value is wonky too

Since 2018 only 5 goalies were signed for more than 3 years (Gibson, VasilevskIy, Hellebuyck, Varlamov, Bobrovsky). The vast majority of contracts given to FA goalies were 1-2 years.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

“You know some people think poo poo smells bad but frankly the toilet smells pretty bad in general and maybe we should give that turd a break”

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

I've been pretty clear they should tender him at most. But he should get a long term contract or be considered part of the future and I don't know what any of that means :lol:

I wouldn’t accuse people of having tunnel vision when you ignore multiple statistics that are counteracting your argument and respond with :lol:

I think DeAngelo is a giant shithead, I also think he is generally one-dimensional. But I’m not going to ignore his positives in a league where effective PMD are crucial and hard to find. I’d be happy if they moved on but it is not a open-shut case.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I am so shocked that two former players are assistant coaches. Funny how the best guy for the job always happens to be an ex-player for that team.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

How much is DeAngelo going to get paid? Would he be a viable option for Toronto?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Did anyone ever explain what's up with the blue jackets coaching staff wearing athletic gear instead of suits?

They got rid of the “players and coaches have to wear suits on game day” rule for the bubble

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Yeah, but I haven't seen any other team where the coaches have adopted a different "uniform" instead. Just seems like they're making a statement.

There is some precedence

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Plz god no. Panarin will be fine playing with another center is swear.

Unfortunately not a great center UFA class

But let Gorton work some trade magic or put Chytil in the top six or anything but give Ryan Strome that amount of money. And I love underachieving-former-high pick guys like Strome because you can get them cheap and they have great potential and pedigree, but when you start giving them massive term (after playing with elite talent) you are piling on a ton of risk.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 19, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Keeping Anderson was the right call at the time knowing what we knew then. Wild Bill looked like he was a bottom 6 center who could play on the PK at the time. In hindsight, it's ugly, though.

Joonas Korpisalo
Elvis Merzlikins
Matiss Kivlenieks
Veini Vehvilainen
Daniil Tarasov

...why, what ever do you mean?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The biggest problem with signing Strome long term is that even tho the rangers rebuild is clearly accelerated and nobody would blame them for ending it after getting 2nd, and 1st overall, theres no point locking these guys down long term at the expense of playing young talent. I’m sure they are already reevaluating the Kreider deal. Not that anyone hates having depth on the wing but in a rebuild poo poo can change on the dime (like getting the first overall)

The Rangers have crazy buyout penalties next year and will have a massive amount of salary coming off the books in two years. Lock guys down then, hit the free agency market with force, and start to build a contending team. But for now let Strome, DeAngelo, and maybe even Fast walk and get payouts somewhere else.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

I dont' think they're re-evaluating the Kreider deal at all. They knew exactly what they were getting/what they wanted when they re-signed him.Getting a 1st overall LW doesn't really change that. Maybe it makes it more likely that Kreider is traded in 3-4 years or whenever his NTC loosens up but a huge part of why they kept him is his mentorship of other players and leadership, as well as he's still a drat good winger

I'd suspect they aren't keen on giving Strome a huge payday, but from what little I've heard they're not keen on trading DeAngelo either. They're not gonna let the 4th highest scoring D this year "walk" this poo poo is ridiculous.

Barron's more a wing and he's probably not top six material
Either Chytil is going to step up or they're going to get a longer term 2nd line center elsewhere

Didn’t say they will let DeAngelo walk, it’s clear the Rangers really like him- I said they should. I don’t think he is a bad player it’s just a matter or term.

And stop it if you think that the Rangers aren’t at least side-eying the Kreider contract now that they have Panarin and Laf on wing. I doubt they regret it since they gave him that term on their own accord (and they love him) but becoming “more likely” that they trade him a few years into the contract is re-evaluating.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

I think it may change how they viewed their depth at that position down the road but I think that contract was always with the idea in mind of either trading him or buying out the contract in the later years. Maybe this makes them think of utilizing him and his contract differently but I doubt they're that worried about it. More likely I bet they see this as a good problem to have rather than a problem.

I agree that it is a good problem, I don’t think the Rangers are upset with having depth on the wings. I just really doubt that a GM would give someone term and many years with NMC with the idea in mind that they would trade or buyout. Of course they consider it, but it is never the intended purpose. A buyout, even when it’s the best available option, is a failure of roster management.

I just don’t want to see a team that can essentially get any FA they want, any year they want, get stuck in cap hell.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lol he just won’t let this go and he keeps making it worse!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

Trotz isn't hockey Jesus. He presided over three playoff bounces. He squandered the talent of players like Nate Schmidt, Brett Connolly and Jakub Vrana, and failed to get poo poo out of Burakovsky. Brooks Orpik was playing 20 minutes a night. People forget how unlikely that Cup run seemed at the time.

Coaches are as much voodoo as goalies. Seemed worth trying out Reirden. He didn't work. Onto the next one.

Yeah sometimes it seems easy to “see” a coaches impact and sometimes it is more behind closed doors. It’s a hard thing to predict or understand.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Babcock confirmed

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Imagine being a multi-millionaire with a platform that can reach thousands, spending most your time in two major metropolitan areas with an unlimited amount of things you see, do, experience and you spend you time on Twitter whining about how repressed you are.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

loving lol I can’t even.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Why would you lie about that, everyone loves firefighters! They don’t give them guns!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

He said Couture’s dad was a firefighter, not a cop.

It seems he may have been a cop briefly over 30 years ago though.

“My dad went to academy for 3 weeks he deserves your respect #bluelivesmatter”

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It really is just a matter of time before Chiarelli gets another job. The old boys carousel will never stop spinning.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

(I'd never seen the clip of Torts going after the drunk Caps fan with the stick. Gord Miller rules. Related to that, did NYR fans like the "New York Attitude" he carried his whole time there?)

Oh for sure- it was fun seeing him shake things up in a market that defaults to tradition. Especially going after guys like Larry Brooks who is an institution in NY sports journalism but can also be a giant ego-maniac. He took over a team that lost its older leadership group with Jagr and Shanahan and it was nice having a guy willing to stand up and fight for a roster in transition. He also had a lot of success with the Rangers.

That being said, his schtick got old pretty quick and his hotheadedness led to some incredibly bizarre roster management, especially when the roster and his style of play became incongruent.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

i am the bird posted:

In this economy goalie market?

I've been following available goalies since Detroit needs a warm body for the next few seasons, and there's something like a dozen of them. It's hard to see how anyone is going to get a reasonable return.

Goalies very rarely get a decent return in general

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s hilarious because if they just kept their mouth shut about Jack Johnson he would just be another underachieving, overpaid, stay at home defenseman but for some reason they keep bringing him up, making insane statements about him, and shining a big spotlight on this giant weakness. Unless they end up tricking someone into taking him off their hands. Then it’s genius

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

shyduck posted:

The Masterson is weird and kinda bad because we sit here and try to decide if cancer or alcoholism recoveries are more deserving of an award

Either announce multiple winners or change the criteria to something more on-ice and tangible, like most improved or something

Just make it so the 3 final nominees win, it’s morbid as hell to pick one and try to argue about it like it’s the Hart Trophy or something

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Call me crazy but I don’t think Murray is the solution to Edmonton’s problems in net.

Also the last time a 1st round pick was traded for a goalie was Freddie Andersen in 2016

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 10, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zodijackylite posted:

There will inevitably be more controversy when the Rangers are ranked #1 with their top prospect being a guy they haven't drafted yet.

Didn’t they get ranked #1 by someone a year ago before they even got that pick?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Brent Burns is trash.

Ovechkin,

Is Wheeler still around? He sucks.

Logan Couture of course.

There's also a ton of other openly MAGA chuds (Lehner, Eichel, Jones, Domi, Oshie) but they haven't tried to play the fake rear end sympathy card like Couture so while they suck I don't know if they rise to that level.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buffal...1c65f7.amp.html

tl;dr Lehner has denounced Trump and was one of the few players to kneel with Ryan Reaves

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

That’s a lottttt of term

edit: that’s going to take him to age 34....

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 15, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

fawning deference posted:

Isn't Brodin not that great and shouldn't Minnesota be looking to trade him for assets at this point? What are they doing?

He is a really great shot suppression guy and overall one of the best defensive-minded defensemen in the league (granted he has never scored more than 8 goals in a season) but I would say it’s very optimistic to lock into the idea that he will be able to keep up with increasingly faster and younger opponents 5+ years into the future.

6 mil is not bad, the 7 years is bad. The Wild needing to blow things up is another story

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 15, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hey Pierre you can just look up Blocked Shots stat it’s not that loving hard

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pierre hasn’t had a job with any NHL team since 1996 yet he thinks he should be given a GM position. What a classic entitled millennial.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah no matter how much well documented abuse he gave to his players, I’m sure Babcock has a lot of fans in the NHL and in many front offices. He will be back for sure, but for now public perception is stopping that....for now.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Everything about Babcock makes it seem like he's a curmudgeon-y rear end in a top hat. Even the old boys club has to get sick of someone after awhile

The old boys club doesn’t have the track record to back this up. I’d be happily wrong if Babcock doesn’t get a job in the NHL tho

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Man, this took me down memory lane to 2012 and :lol: at remembering that the Oilers ruined a top prospect and then still got Draisatl and McDavid

Ruined a prospect??

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Blues should prolly just pay this guy but winning a cup gives teams terminal “who gives a poo poo” attitude

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The rare “bad for both teams” trade.

Well maybe not so rare but I really don’t get this one...

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Mike Mathewson is kinda bad, right?

He is kinda bad and is SIGNED TILL 2026 at 4.875. He has offensive talent but seems like he hasn’t really put it all together in either zone.

He also just had a terrible playoff run,played 2 games- lots of bad cheap shots, almost got suspended, and then got healthy scratched.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

This right here. If you look closely you can actually pinpoint the exact moment his heart brain breaks in two.

After the incident and the hate he got for it, he wasn't the same. He got a big contract because he was so solid the previous year and it looked a no brainer, but yeah that one thing seems to have been a breaking point for him. Maybe a new team will be what he needs to reset him and get the potential out that he definitely has, he wasn't even awful for most of this year but the post-season was just so messy for us.

I’m still just shocked by this contract they gave him. I know he was a 1st round pick and was 24 at the time but he was coming of the heels of a 81 game/27 point season....that is what warranted a 8 year contract!?

Good on Florida dumping this mistake before the modified NTC kicked in.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I mean at least they got a good return for burning a bridge with Hornqvist...it’s not like they just got a 4th liner and a mediocre defenseman on an incredibly long term contract or anything. Sometimes you gotta pull the trigger ya kno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’m so loving happy Staal is gone.

He gave his all for this team and had some years where his skill set worked well but injuries and a much faster game left him behind. He needed to go.

Also the Rangers has two 1st rounders so the 2nd is no problem.