Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's like someone saw a David Carson page and decided to use their first attempt at mimicking that style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rich men with sub-highschool educations tend to have terrible opinions/views of the world. That's the GOP bread and butter right there.

That said, now that he's exposed himself (without even scoring 4 goals) may the sharks never win while employing his dumb rear end

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

For some reason I thought Montreal was tighter to the cap but they've got $14 million and only a Domi to sign.
Though the next off-season they get turbofucked with a UFA deluge and are faced with the ever awful prospect of signing a (tiny) 30 year-old powerforward to a closeout contract

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dubas and formerly Chayka

The stats nerds are too brittle for full contact sports.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

JR got somebody to take on Rob Scuderi.
And Matt Hunwick
And Jamie Oleksiak

(And Jack Johnson, please)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Good God he looks decades younger

Don't do meth, folks

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Apparently Pen's retained $2 million which is definitely a "I'll scratch your back" move from JR to Guerin because that's more than the buyout cost

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

soggybagel posted:

Bjugstad had a couple good years early on in his career. Also this is a really good low commitment deal for Minnesota considering the fact that the Penguins are picking up half of his salary/cap hit.

Koivu is done so maybe they hope Bjugstad can give them anything.

Yeah, I mean he's good for 30-40 points if he stays at all healthy so I'm more confused by what the gently caress JR is doing retaining at all. A buyout would've been $500k and then $1.5m which seems like a better way to spread it out
Unless he explicitly only needed the $2m cleared

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah those terms reek. Either he's broken after the surgery in a way that a buyout wouldn't have gone through or the pens org is hard up for actual cash because they didn't get to rake in playoff bucks
or a bit of both

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dzus posted:

I'm imagining JJ and Ristolainen, JJ watching plays develop up close and doing nothing about it while Risto is checking himself into the boards.

You laugh but I'm terrified that JR is gonna flip Letang for someone like Ristolainen to "shake things up"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MRLOLAST posted:

Hi, I need guidance. With Marchand and Seguin now identified as secretly good guys with bad on ice personas who shall I hate ? Please name the bad people that are left in ice hockey. Corey Perry and..?

Tony DeAngelo is a racist and homophobe so you can safely enjoy every time he gets trucked

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They've got $9 million in space and not really any big names to sign. If they just wanted to clear space it'd probably be just as easy to dump a JVR to a basement team and clear up way more actual cash than trade a potentially 40-50 point d-man but eh, the more mistakes they make the better I suppose.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

How is it just as easy to trade JVR as Ghost bear? 7million!!!!

Wings, Sabres, Devils, Kings, to a lesser extent Avs (if they miss out on Hall) and the Oilers (if they can swap a shorter/lesser contract for it), and the Sens are all starved for secondary scoring and have the space to eat a $7 million hit for 20 goals.
Not to mention the kind of fuckery a rebuilding team could swing by taking him for pennies on the dollar, retaining, and flipping him to a contender

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kilza posted:

Oilers don't really have the room for JVR unless they swap Neal straight across for him without retaining any salary, which I doubt the Flyers would be interested in doing.

If they end up striking out in free agency they could have the space by swapping Chiasson or if they wanted to go after a new goalie, something like Koskinen/JVR swap would make sense for both teams but it's getting into hfboards territory without knowing whether the Flyers want the space or positive assets back

but I guess that also all ultimately depends on how confident Oilers staff are that Nuge/Larsson are gonna stick around, too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

With what cap space would the Leafs even be able to be players in the Pietrangelo sweepstakes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

Cody Ceci and Tyson Barrie vanishing into the ether is going to help.

$6 million by capfriendly's count and that'd be a hell of a discount for Pietrangelo to take
they'd probably have to lose at least one of Johnsson or Kerfoot (or I guess Muzzin?) but they also have $3-4 million worth of RFAs to sign, too
I don't see how they'd do it without gutting their bottom 6 or losing Nylander

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

he is wrong not just for valuing stupid things but also in that now that the NHL is tracking shot speed you can in fact have a stat for "100mph shots blocked"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Old-man Minnesota defensive center on a cup hunt?
That sounds like a JR signing if there ever was one.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

And with it passes the third to last remaining reebok edge template abomination in the NHL (unless I miscounted)

Caps and Jackets get the gently caress on it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Man, this took me down memory lane to 2012 and :lol: at remembering that the Oilers ruined a top prospect and then still got Draisatl and McDavid

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

FBS posted:

ok real talk:

How good is Pietrangelo, really?

He's a legit #1 defender and probably will remain so the duration of any contract he gets. He's a boon for a team if they don't overpay.
https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1251234810145787904?s=20

It's a horrid mistake in the Blues picking Faulk over him (especially if he is willing to sign for $7-8 million) but they still have Colton Parayko I guess

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't think I even know anybody who would be dumb enough to go to an in-person sporting event before the end of the year, but maybe I just give people too much credit.

For the Caps, a huge percentage of fans come on Metro. I can't even imagine being on one of those crowded, drunken post-game trains these days.

Yeah those trains are jammed and dirty even on their "good" days
I used them all the time for commuting but I ain't getting back on them until a vaccine exists

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What the gently caress does that trade fix? It doesn't really save money and now we have a hole on 3rd RW and 4 LD

what the gently caress are you doing JR you senile old bastard

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

so the penguins have not yet gotten hornqvist's approval to trade him which, like the nixed kessel deal last year, is staggeringly tone-deaf

https://twitter.com/TheDanKingerski/status/1308819035388350465?s=20

:lol: JR is the worst GM

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

you would think you would contact the player to get his approval before you started telling anyone else in the organization or leaking it to the media, but hey, im not a senile mush-brained nhl executive with a boner for jack johnson, what do I know

Not only that but you have to think the player in question would be extra annoyed not having been informed and now being guilted into waiving a rightfully earned contract feature that gives him control over where he plays

It's a horrible look for the entire organization and I hope he rightfully tells JR to gently caress off

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That Tucker mention got me tripping down the buyout rabbithole and here's a funny bit of trivia

If Lecavalier had not been bought out, this would have been the last year of his 11 year $7.5 million contract he got in 2009

Instead Tampa is still paying him ~$2 million a year until 2027

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The gently caress that's more expensive than Hornqvist and we don't need a left shooting d-man or a 4th liner

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

"It's a fair trade because if you put Matheson and Sceviour together they scored almost as many goals as Hornqvist did last season. I am a good GM"

e:
https://twitter.com/PensInsideScoop/status/1309246187300626440?s=20
gently caress me he's not even gonna ship off Johnson

https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_PGH/status/1309246040386797570?s=20

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 24, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Also I'll miss Hornqvist who was a big part of helping this team win two cups and who was an absolute fuckin' warrior. Yeah that's right, a warrior. Heatmaps don't explain a Hornqvist.

Hornqvist is rad and I think he'll easily keep having 20 goal (paced) seasons on a team that builds the powerplay around him/cycling the puck rather than rushing.
Sure he's not much of a skater and he takes a beating but he's also stupidly fit so I think he'll play the contract out and a be a powerplay boon for the Panthers all the while and as much as I ragged on him for not being able to keep up with Crosby/Malkin anymore this is not the sort of return I'd wanted for him at all

I'd have rather seen cap space sitting empty

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Big whoop
if the pens sign Bobby Ryan they'll have the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of 2005

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

After next season, someone's going to pay far too much money for him to be the definition of inconsistent up front, and a liability defensively.

"Very Tall Brett Hull"

Although statistically Brett Hull was still a loving scoring monster so he probably doesn't deserve the comparison but it rhymes and that's good enough for me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Did he build the team? I thought that the core was already in place from the previous GM?

So to his credit he did bring in Schultz, Kessel, Bonino, Hornqvist, and Hagelin (while jettisoning Sutter and Scuderi's corpse) who were all pretty vital pieces to the back to back cup wins in their own ways

He also signed/traded for the likes of Reaves and Hunwick etc. so it wasn't all hits and he burned a ton of assets fixing the mistakes he made along the way.

(Had my dates wrong, adjusted some things)

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 25, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That is a surprisingly fair deal for both sides.
No doubt he could've gotten another million and another year or two in the frenzy

e:
https://twitter.com/mattvensel/status/1309553765419290631?s=20
oooof they did him dirty

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 25, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1310593679288086528?s=20

It ain't much, but it's hockey news I guess

seems rich for an AHL d-man though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

In a perfect world if the Stars were to take another run at the playoffs, I don't see how we get past the Avalanche again. Vegas somehow seemed like a series more in hand, even when it was going badly. But jesus, how did we beat the Avs???

Avs still have a lot of weaknesses they need to bolster before they're a wrecking ball team like Tampa
(They're thin on wing even if Burakovsky re-signs, they need another d-man and a better goalie)

And while Dallas has some older guys, Seguin/Klingberg are only 28 and Heiskanen/Gurianvo/Hintz all took huge steps this season. There's no reason they can't take another run

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Avs with a spurned Hank playing his heart out for a cup would be loving amazing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm sure JR is trying to make more moves. And that scares me.

I have a sinking feeling he's going to trade Dumoulin to free up room for Matheson and JJ
god help us

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

grack posted:

If JR were smart, he'd be trying to sign Chris Tanev. Probably have to shed some salary first, though.

If he wants to come for the same price as his brother maybe but he'd be third on the RD depth chart behind Letang and Marino.
I'd love it if they could swap out Johnson's contract for him but I just know it's gonna be Pettersson or Dumoulin or god forbid Letang

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I guess the NHL can be certain they won't be competing for the stadium usage with any other events but adding the risk of death by falling debris on top of COVID seems a bit harsh to players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010