Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Dirty Burger posted:

Anyone else not know that the Paulrus has reinvented himself

https://twitter.com/brianpfraser/status/1294022729751044098?s=21

I said I thought he looked like Barry Trotz during the qualifying round when the beard was thinner.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Yeah, but I haven't seen any other team where the coaches have adopted a different "uniform" instead. Just seems like they're making a statement.

The Blues and Coyotes are/were doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Playing with house money", "Nobody expected them to get there", "They were a bubble team but had to win their way in", etc., but life is pain.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

At least you guys beat Toronto, that was pretty sweet.

Yeah, truth be told, I'm not terribly disappointed they're out because they defied expectations in spite of injuries/no Bread/no Bob, did win a series to get "in", and, if nothing else, it's a test run of what they need going forward (which, to no surprise, is scoring).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

Which of the Jackets goalies do you guys think will be Seattle’s starter in 2021

Matiss Kivlenieks. :smug:

(They'll protect Korpi and Elvis is exempt.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I bet Seattle gets Josh Anderson and he scores 7000 goals for them next season like Wild Bill did

Keeping Anderson was the right call at the time knowing what we knew then. Wild Bill looked like he was a bottom 6 center who could play on the PK at the time. In hindsight, it's ugly, though.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Someone make a Jackets goalie name generator please.

Joonas Korpisalo
Elvis Merzlikins
Matiss Kivlenieks
Veini Vehvilainen
Daniil Tarasov

...why, what ever do you mean?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Getting to look like that Eddie Izzard bit about Englebert Humperdinck itt.

SLUT BUMWALLA

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Why WAS he scratched in the playoffs two years ago, JR?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

Kekäläinen is not one to show his hand, of course. But word around the NHL is that the Blue Jackets have already had talks and laid the groundwork for what could be a hectic month of October, the NHL’s new (and hopefully temporary) July.

Bring forth the TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADES.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Jarmo said today in the post-season presser that Dubinsky's career is probably over due to his wrist injury. I also didn't realize he was already 34 years old. Happy trails.

Dubi was a warrior. He'll live on in my SAS ultimate fantasy roster.

Cartoon Man posted:

As for Covid hockey, have they said how next season will look? I can’t imagine a full 82 games in a bubble environment, the players would go nuts. I’d do a 40 game season split into two 20 game bubble sprints separated by a month long mid season bye for the players to go home and be with family. Start the season with the first 20 game sprint in Jan/Feb, take March off, then Apr/May with playoffs in June. Conference only games unfortunately, teams need to stay in the bubble.

I still want a repeat of the 2013 season- 48 games, in-conference only, regular playoffs, Cup awarded in late June/early July, then normal programming in 2021-22.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

sleep with the vicious posted:

Calgary media is begging for a Gaudreau trade, and I can't really disagree with it. 3 years in a row he went missing in the playoffs completely

Josh Anderson, your choice of David Savard/Ryan Murray/Markus Nutivaara, and a pick.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

I wasn't. I think the President's Trophies should absolutely count for a lot. But sports has become this thing where nobody cares about what you do in the regular season if you don't win the championship even though failing is built into postseasons. It would be a lot easier to look at the Ovechkin era as a huge success if those President's trophies were valued the way they should be but the drama of the Stanley Cup changes things.

Just a few posts earlier someone is like "Well we were in first or second in the division all the time" to weight our success. So if that's a symbol of success why shouldn't the President's Trophies be just as much and even more because it's the whole league? It doesn't make sense and the trophy is unfairly maligned. Especially like others said in the era where teams are a lot closer in quality. So winning multiples of those should mean something.

I mean, if you're going to complain about "We had a bunch of good seasons and one of them finally won us a Cup", can I interest you in trading for "It took my team 9 years to make the playoffs, 14 to win a playoff game, 19 to win a series, and the only time they've made the playoffs in consecutive years is the current four year streak they're on right now"?. The Jackets have only flirted with winning their Division once (2017).

Speaking of:

Flyinglemur posted:

If they're going to fire Reirdon than they should also fire whoever made the decision to not re-sign Trotz.

"We got bounced from the playoffs by the guy we didn't bring back. Let's take it out on the guy we DID hire."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jBXpj8j34s

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Kapanen trade seems like it's trying to be a reboot of the Kessel trade (skilled forward, a 1st, and some throw-ins exchanged both ways) which, coincidentally enough, included Kapanen.

How many retreads have the Pens brought in in the last few years? Sheary, Cullen, Kapanen, and they tried to get Hagelin back but weren't allowed.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

An Animated History of John Tortorella's Donations to the NHL Foundation:
https://theathletic.com/2026665/2020/08/28/the-tortorella-rap-sheet-blue-jackets-coach-has-been-sanctioned-15-times-by-nhl/

quote:

After a 6-1 home loss to Tampa Bay, Sabres coach John Muckler was getting heckled by a fan, who called him “a disgrace to the city,” according to the Buffalo News. Muckler slapped the fan on his way to the dressing room, and Tortorella — then an assistant coach — grabbed hold of the fan and tried to pull him over the rails before security intervened.

I mean, that's probably not the smartest thing he could have don---

quote:

The fan was Vincent LoTiempo, an assistant district attorney in Erie County.

Never mind, gently caress that guy. He was probably Mr. Do You Know Who I Am? in public.

(I'd never seen the clip of Torts going after the drunk Caps fan with the stick. Gord Miller rules. Related to that, did NYR fans like the "New York Attitude" he carried his whole time there?)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Petey posted:

that hurt.

i know it's irrational fan stuff, but i'm going to have a hard time forgiving rask, even though halak acquitted himself well. the lightning are more talented and it showed.

i just wanted chara to win one more with us before he retired. but that chance was last year and we blew it; so it goes.

Your reaction is more rational than probably 90% of Boston Twitter right now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Elliotte Friedman thinks the CBJ may flip one of Korpi or Elvis for scoring help.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

Cory Schneider got the Canucks Bo Horvat one time

And it resulted in one of my favorite snarky Bettman moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJuwG2_HqCo

God, how I wish he would've been able to announce the Saad/Panarin trade IN Chicago.

"Columbus has traded Brandon Saad (and other crap) to Chicago ("OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!")...in exchange for Artemi Panarin... (":wtc: :ramsay: :suicide:")"

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 1, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

:getin:

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Domi for Johnson

Shut your whore mouth. :frogout:

Ginette Reno posted:

I mean if their intent is to trade him then pumping his tires publicly is fine but

A) most GMs are smart enough to see right through that (maybe I'm giving too much credit here)

B) I think they genuinely mean it and refuse to believe he sucks even though the evidence is overwhelming

JR got somebody to take on Rob Scuderi.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

The Blue Jackets knew Zito would be moving on eventually, but this started to take shape in recent weeks when even the NHL was said to be leaning on the Panthers to strongly consider Zito.

Two things:
1) "Old boys network", indeed.
2) How hosed are the Fancy Cats for the NHL to say "No, really, we insist"?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

You can probably etch Lindblom's name on the trophy for next year right now, though.

CBJ sent three players to Finland:
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1303332980996345857

e-
https://twitter.com/johntkemp/status/1303162494463234049

Well, when you put it that way...

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 8, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

You want a really fun comparison? Take a guess at #3 on the Flyers win list

Ron Hextall - 240
Bernie Parent - 231
Steve Mason - 104

I was going to guess Brian Boucher given he had two stints there.

This naturally got me interested in my dumb team: #1 is obvious and is the only one with more than 100 wins. The correct answer above is 2nd all-time on the CBJ's list. 3rd place hasn't played for the team since 2006 (and Korpi, with a decent season, would get past him next season with only one prior season as starter. :stonk:)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 9, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Fuckin' announce the Jack Adams winner so we can play hockey.

e- WHAT. :wtc:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 10, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fartknocker posted:

This is some bullshit right here.

Torts dragged an AHL team kicking and screaming to the playoffs (and had to get in via the qualifying round). AV took a team that missed last year to the second round.

The former was my homer pick, but I'd have been fine with either.

Cassidy took a good team and did what was expected of him with it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

The guy above asked a question. I don't quote when I'm replying immediately after a post.

Voting is done before the playoffs.

So what the voting saw is that he dragged an AHL team to a sub .500 record and 6th place in an 8 team division.

I guess I looked at it from the perspective of "team expected to be in the Lottery was in a playoff position under the NHL's questionable playoff system when COVID happened" and someone (Steve Daigle?) said the same thing earlier on Twitter, even though:

quote:

Vigneault probably should have won.

...is an accurate statement.

e- Results:
https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1303845786346811395

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 10, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You laugh but I'm terrified that JR is gonna flip Letang for someone like Ristolainen to "shake things up"

Market correction for somehow jettisoning Rob Scuderi for Trevor Daley and Jedi Mind Tricking Vegas into retaining salary on a player who never played for them.

Wonderllama posted:

At least JMFJ is used to having his salary retained.

:vince:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

The Ducks won their Cup in the very first season as the Anaheim Ducks (after starting out as the Mighty Duck of Anaheim).

While the Vegas Golden Knights are still competitive, they need to become the Las Vegas Knights.

Having a properly formatted name is the number one decider if you're going to win a Cup or not. It's a premium fancy stat most don't know about.

If people get their way and have the city of Columbus renamed, I'm starting a motion to rename the team the Ohio Jackets. The name will suck but, if this precedent tracks, :getin:.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Campbell and Geoffrion were both CBJ staff who followed Zito to Fancy Cats.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

He wanted to play but he's all but blind in one eye. The Canucks refused to let him play despite his desire to do so so ate his full cap hit for a year rather than risk his health. He left as a free agent with Carolina but it became quickly clear the Canucks were right. He stuck around for a couple years but retired in 2015. He's been a faceoff/defensive zone coach in Vancouver since.

The Lake Erie Monsters signed him to a PTO the year they won the Calder Cup, but he wasn't on the roster at the end of the season. Didn't he go play some very Semi-Pro level soccer briefly before hanging it up completely?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

And with it passes the third to last remaining reebok edge template abomination in the NHL (unless I miscounted)

Caps and Jackets get the gently caress on it

Jackets logo and jerseys own (though I give you that the pre-2017 version was better than the current one). :colbert:

e-

LumpyGumby posted:

I really don't like those original Sens jerseys, but they're not the RBKs anymore.

What am abomination those all were.

Edit, imagine:

Vs

Also, I liked these and the blue "BOLTS" wordmark, but not the current all-black Lightning third.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 18, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

LumpyGumby posted:

The CBJ logo is fine, although looking at the start without the flag is a trip. Also, the original neon green stick will always hold a special place in my heart.

Also drat, if I'd known Ottawa was hiring freelance artists I would've called them up.

The star in the current logo is the same one in the Christmas Tree logo; it's the only carryover from the original.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/DanMarrazza/status/1307419579464003585

Just do a 48 game season like 2013 to get us back on track for 82 games in 2021-22.

https://twitter.com/1stOhioBattery/status/1307305987209129984

I mean, if he could be had for pennies, it might be worth a shot.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

I wish this were true.

They really need to get with their old rivals from across Lake Michigan and figure out how to make players catch allergies to equipment.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1307703993150435330

I mean, last year was abysmal on a historically bad team, but he might be an alright backup somewhere.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

It's a shame Elvis had A Little Less Conversation than he did. A little more action and he might have given Makar a run.

e- How does a defenseman who potted 20 not get on the second All-Star team? Never mind, I thought Z had more points than he did. 20-21-41.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 22, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

This is an interesting twist on the farm team concept:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1308417387583148032

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Jim Rutherford baby!

He's now using his Jedi Mind Tricks against himself.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Here's JR pimping his goalies as being better than anything else on the market right now:

quote:

"There are a lot of goalies," he said Tuesday. "But there aren't any who are in their mid-20s and coming into their prime. That's the big difference with our goalies."

The Penguins have Matt Murray, who is 26 and has a pair of Stanley Cup rings, and Tristan Jarry, who is 25.

Both are restricted free agents and, while Rutherford never has publicly said that Murray is the one he is shopping, Jarry appears to have supplanted him as the franchise's go-to goalie, with Casey DeSmith poised to become the backup.

Rutherford said previously that the return in any trade for a goalie might well involve draft picks and/or prospects, as opposed to a player who would immediately move onto the major-league roster, at least in part because of the Penguins' limited salary-cap space.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/09/22/penguins-jim-rutherford-free-agents-goalies-matt-murray-trade-tristan-jarry-dwm

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

JR: "You will trade us a former first round pick defenseman for Patric Hornqvist"
Bill Zito: "We will trade you a former first round pick defenseman for Patric Hornqvist"
JR: "You will trade us Aaron Ekblad."
Bill Zito: "We will trade you Mike Matheson."
JR: "Done deal."
Zito: "Done deal."
JR: "Wait. gently caress."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hornqvist is rad and I think he'll easily keep having 20 goal (paced) seasons on a team that builds the powerplay around him/cycling the puck rather than rushing.
Sure he's not much of a skater and he takes a beating but he's also stupidly fit so I think he'll play the contract out and a be a powerplay boon for the Panthers all the while and as much as I ragged on him for not being able to keep up with Crosby/Malkin anymore this is not the sort of return I'd wanted for him at all

I'd have rather seen cap space sitting empty

He's one of those skilled, but pesky, pain in the rear end players you can easily find a way to hate unless he's playing for your team, at which point he's awesome. The best comparison I can think of is Scott Hartnell. I had someone else in mind, but whoever it was slipped my mind.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/SpecmenceCBJ/status/1309320731918917632

https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1309484332583616513

Rumors are swirling they'll buy Alexander Wennberg out, too. Happy 2020! :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

So to his credit he did bring in Schultz, Kessel, Bonino, Hornqvist, and Hagelin (while jettisoning Sutter and Scuderi's corpse) who were all pretty vital pieces to the back to back cup wins in their own ways

He also signed/traded for the likes of Reaves and Hunwick etc. so it wasn't all hits and he burned a ton of assets fixing the mistakes he made along the way.

(Had my dates wrong, adjusted some things)

He also fired Johnston and brought in Sullivan which, combined with the first batch, were dingers which led to Stanley Cups. He also found a way to get Vegas to retain salary on Derick Brassard, who never actually played for them, which is :psyduck:.

Then he kept striking out at the plate.