Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Picture me just shouting a stream of incoherent, excited babble and occasionally blasting an air horn while I watch my team get swept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

None of the already qualified for the playoff teams gave the slightest poo poo from what I saw of their games. That was just a series of tune up games where they focused on not getting hurt.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Hockey players have the dumbest tattoos is what I'm taking away from the above post.

I'm pretty sure Pageau has served me his take on the classic Vieux Carre at a whisky bar on Bloor St.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Speaking of Marleau he will once again not win the cup. Given that he and Thornton are free agents this summer, it's quite likely they will retire as 1/2 in career games played without winning a championship.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jumbo is 41 and managed 31 points last year. At best you're looking at a guy who can manage 35pts playing 4th line minutes and 2nd unit PP. I think most teams would prefer to give that to a young guy these days. Signing him for even $1m is really just a personal favour to try and win him a cup and is that really the best way to manage a hockey team?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So yeah that round Robin really was just about guys not getting hurt

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Just remembered that the owners decided they wanted a few games of TV revenue from the Blackhawks and Habs so expanded the playoffs to 24 teams for no reason only to end up inadvertently eliminating several of the most popular teams in the league in the process.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Vancouver Canucks are participating in a playoff game today. Didn't think I'd be typing those words anytime soon.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nothing says "I'm responding to the fans cries for change but I don't want to do anything meaningful" quite like firing the assistant coaches.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Well the Caps sure blew that

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Really didn't expect a win. As wonderful as it is, please don't give me hope you idiots.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

Even moreso because I feel like Sutter is playing good.

In these unprecedented times...

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canucks win one playoff game:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1293930237772943361?s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There were a bunch of fawning "THESE OILERS ARE JUST LIKE THE 2010 BLACKHAWKS" headlines back in April 2017 too.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oh dear, get better Mr. Julien.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If they'd cancelled the playoffs this year all the players would be going on about how they'd prefer to play in front of empty arenas for a chance to win the cup and that they don't need fans to build that intensity.

A hell of a lot of games have had bad blood even with the empty stands. I've not noticed the lack of fans for the most part.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Luongo and Lundqvist are miles ahead of Belfour who was the Johnny Quick of his era.

Like all things, there's no one way to build a cup winner and having a world class goalie helps but is also not necessary like all positions. Looking at the few most recent championship teams and drawing sweeping conclusions about team construction from them is myopic in the extreme. The only surefire way to win a cup is to build up a lot of talent and depth top it off with a massive dollop of luck.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 14, 2020

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gonna get rolled by the Knights but

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hey isn't this thread for first round chumps? It's round 2 now baby and the Vancouver Canucks are in it.