Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

- - - - - - - - - - - -
>>Game Discord<<
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Resource guide for newer players
- - - - - - - - - - - -

I figure we could use a nice little distraction, so I'm launching a Mafia game here! If you've never played Mafia, here's the gist:

This will be a game for 16 players. Most of you will be TOWN aligned. Some of you will be SCUM aligned. TOWN's goal is to eradicate all threats to themselves. SCUM wants to kill most of the TOWN players until they are either at parity with or hold majority against them. Most players will only have their vote to rely on, but some of you might have special Power Roles.

This game runs on two cycles, Day Phase and Night Phase.

During the Day Phase the thread is open for everyone to discuss the game and try to figure out who the scum are. If you're scum, you certainly don't want town to know about it! People vote during the day phase by typing [b]##VOTE (player name)[/ b]. A majority of the votes are needed to eliminate a player from the game. Town wants to try to vote off the scum obviously as that is their strongest method getting closer to their win condition. Scum want to lie and try to convince players to vote off someone who is town instead. There is the possibility that some players may be neither scum nor town, but instead want to win based on their own personal agenda! There is a deadline set for when the vote must be achieved. If a majority is reached, then the :redhammer: is slammed down and the day ends immediately. If a majority vote is not reached by the deadline though, then NOBODY is eliminated from the game.

Night Phase, the thread is closed. During the night phase, scum will have the ability to kill a player, removing them from the game before the next day. Other players who have Power Roles will usually get to use their actions during the Night Phase as well. It's up to you to use them wisely.

The game will cycle through Day and Night until one side has achieved victory.

This thread will feature a heavy AEW flavor, but try not to get too hung up on roles. Flavor will impact who is scum and who is town, but the SCUM will have fake claims anyway, so don't waste time with Flavor arguments for alignment. Just enjoy the window dressing!

Some basic rules

1. :siren:DO NOT EDIT YOUR POSTS WHEN THE GAME STARTS:siren:
2. don't fake day actions (day actions are codified the same way as votes, ##(action) (player)
3. don't post if you're dead.
4. don't copy/paste messages from the mods/from any masonries or scumchats. they can be faked anyway, all doing this does is hurt the spirit of the game. don't do it.
5. don't lurk once the game starts. At the end of each Day Phase, players with less than 10 posts in the thread for the Day Phase will be placed on notice. If any player on notice makes less than ten posts again on a further day phase, or if they edit their posts and get caught, they will be killed by Ref Aubrey!

Don't let this happen to you.

PLAYER SIGNUPS
  1. Critical
  2. Eat My Fuc
  3. Gumball Gumption
  4. Ibexaz
  5. Jackie D
  6. jesus WEP
  7. Junpei Hyde
  8. karmicknight
  9. mikeycp
  10. MorningMoon
  11. nerdrum
  12. Pinche Rudo
  13. projecthalaxy
  14. Rarity
  15. Senerio
  16. ShallNoiseUpon

alternates:
1. SalTheBard

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I have not played Mafia in years, sounds great I'm in.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Hell yeah let's fuckin go

(Also if the SCUM isn't actually The Dark Order then is this even AEW aligned?)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 11, 2020

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I'm unemployed and spend all day in bed anyway gently caress yeah lets do this

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Senerio posted:

Hell yeah let's fuckin go

(Also if the SCUM isn't actually The Dark Order then is this even AEW aligned?)

Mafia writers know to not make Scum to have bad guy character flavours. Otherwise you can massclaim for "what wrestler did you get" and work out scum based on who is scum in character.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Or you just give the scum fake names they can claim as and make that tactic impossible

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Are you going to let Chuckie say poo poo?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sure why the gently caress not I need the distraction from my job not communicating with me in any capacity

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Lid posted:

Mafia writers know to not make Scum to have bad guy character flavours. Otherwise you can massclaim for "what wrestler did you get" and work out scum based on who is scum in character.

Yes, but that makes the scum 11, 12, 13 and so on of the Dark Order.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lid posted:

Scum players will be getting fake-claims.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Are you going to let Chuckie say poo poo?

Yes

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

who gave ref aubrey a gun

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
sure fine sign me up

mafia was one of the reasons i joined sa, may as well play again in its death throes

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I'm in

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

If there's room please sign me up

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Hell, I'll do it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

can i ask questions about this? i've never wanted to play this very common game type that everyone knows how to play except me before. if i'm allowed to ask questions: 1. what do you do that requires more than 10 posts per day phase? talk out strategy and why someone else should be voted out? 2. why can't you lurk the thread. i probably won't try to play this and screw it up even if you do not answer this so don't worry. Thank you very much

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Cavauro posted:

can i ask questions about this? i've never wanted to play this very common game type that everyone knows how to play except me before. if i'm allowed to ask questions: 1. what do you do that requires more than 10 posts per day phase? talk out strategy and why someone else should be voted out? 2. why can't you lurk the thread. i probably won't try to play this and screw it up even if you do not answer this so don't worry. Thank you very much

Basically you have to interact because otherwise it's impossible to suss out what side someone is on when they're completely silent. You can't spot a bullshitter if they don't talk.

And you can make posts in character or talk poo poo or accuse someone baselessly and hope it gains traction. It's everyone going "that sounds like something SCUM would say" to everyone else and it's fun

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Thank you Dean :)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
it's just getting work aggro about dumb bullshit and maybe getting killed for it

there is not much to gently caress up

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Bagsy I'm Orange Cassidy

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Hello yes sign me up please!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Hello yes sign me up please!

yessssssssss :unsmigghh:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

let me in please

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I will avenge Hangman's murder. Or stop it from being avenged. Or have done it. Its not clear yet.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Cavauro posted:

If there wasn't a "lurker mechanic" in these games nobody would ever post. 10 posts may sound like a lot but that is easily reachable. Mafia is a really fun game and the Mafia community on SA is amazing. I discovered it like 3 years ago and I have met so many cool people because of it. I'm not saying you need to play in a game a week or whatever, but give it a shot. Worse case scenario you hate it, you played one game, no harm no foul.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SalTheBard posted:

If there wasn't a "lurker mechanic" in these games nobody would ever post

In mafia as in life, :justpost: is my motto

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

:justpost: :posthaste:

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Postin fast to see if I can snag an open spot!!!!!

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I'm in!!!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I will gladly give my spot up to a new player

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
hello, I am :justpost:ing to try and join this thing.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

You have the most Mafia ready username though

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

SalTheBard posted:

I vote Sal off the island

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mob posted:

I vote Sal off the island

I won that a few months ago so you are too late for that:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925989&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I'll take a spot if there's one open

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Eat My Fuc posted:

You have the most Mafia ready username though

Sal (x)
sal the bard (x)
salbard (x)
SalTheBeard (x)
[b]SalTheBard (x)
salthebore (x)

These will all trigger votes for me in votefinder. I wish I could remember the context of SalTheBeard

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

svalbard

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm amazed "SalTheScum" and "ScumTheBard" and "SalTheBad" aren't listed on votefinder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'll try this thing and kill you all, or do the opposite if that's how you win.