Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Huckert posted:

What is it that makes the game promising? You seem to have only bad things to say...

It's an MMO Empyrion with Factorio strapped on top.

So if you're into that sort of thing - it's the only game that checks all the boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

My enjoyment of this game greatly increased when I stopped using a hovercraft and started using a plane. I don't know why hovercraft are a thing....

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Munkeylord posted:

You must have defeated the true enemy, trees!

They turned collision with trees off. I hope it stays off. During the stress test it was on and just made traveling as a hovercraft noob absolutely tedious.

Game also seems to run a lot better now than before.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Harminoff posted:

I really hope they expand the LUA capabilities with industry soon. Just being able to get container info and get industry unit info would be great.

I would suck dick for a LUA script that could change recipes on upstream production based on crate content.

IE low on this alloy? Change smeleter to make it. Rather than having a bunch of smelters set on maintaining the quantity.

And before anyone wonders if you can do that - the answer is that there is currently no way to flip recipes with lua

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 15, 2020

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Exactly.

Like, in order to get stats of a container the only info you can get its weight. So if you want to get a count of an item you have to have each container have a different item, and then do the math to figure out.

If you need to use the metalworks in two stages of building something, you can just say creat 100x screws and then feed those back in to make the next part, you have to either watch it and do it manually, or have a chain of metalwork industry set up.

You pretty much have to make way more units of everything just to operate. Even starting out, just having one smelter is a pain in the rear end so you need at least 3.

The appeal of being able to LUA it would be the ability to stuff it all into an S sized grid.

I have a dream of a factory ship but it's non viable with the current industrial flow being rigid and requiring massive redundant industries due to lack of inventory managment.

I can see why they don't have it added and may never add it.

LUA seems to constantly result in forum drama with people whining about how it puts programmers at an unfair advantage while others demand more functionality.

If you could create a LUA driven production line it'd make people lose their poo poo. "Assembler set to make L container? Adjust all upstream production to queue the components." wouldn't be that hard to code if you could read and set recipes.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Harminoff posted:

One thing to note though is that I'm pretty sure the LUA code is client side, so you wouldn't be able to just create a script to automate it all and walk away. You'd have to have someone there for the script to run off of.

Yeah - but that's the ideal dream - player walk up to assembler, says I want this - rest of the factory inputs adjust to make required components.

Player still has to set the recipe of the final product but the line adjust and stays on that product until recipe is changed. That's what I really want to do.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Do we have a goatse ship yet?

I have fond memories of this masterpiece from Empyrion:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Umbreon posted:

Bought this game and I'm trying to play, but no matter how many times I hit the play beta button, all it says is connection pending and then gives me a different error every time. Is the game on maintenance right now or something?

Edit: I finally got in, but I'm getting like 10 FPS and this game is using 80% of my CPU. I have an i7 9700k, is that really that bad?

Double Edit:

I think I should probably wait until the optimization gets ironed out before I play this game.

It is that bad on heavily built up areas with lots of voxels that you have never been to before and have not cached - meaning the entire newbie area is hell.

Once you get past that, it is a lot better.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

FireWhizzle posted:

Unfortunately for the time being, the Devs/Staff seem hell-bent on making the game a very safe place. If you like playing space minecraft though its really fun

Official forums and discord would paint a different picture - of PvP being widespread brutal and killing the game and devs enabling griefing or at the very least turning a blind eye to it.

So plenty of salt to be had.

Meanwhile I am struggling to make a hauler capable of actually taking off with a full load of ore and having a blast doing it.

I'm really digging the mix of genres in this game. Factorio style industry, kerbal style flight, eve skills, player made ships and free loot pvp are all very much my thing...

Game still is way more early alpha then beta though - the bulk of the promised content is flat out not there and nobody even knows how it would work.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

As far as I understand there is also no actual reason to leave the safe area since nothing is currently exclusive to the pvp space.

I really want to go pew pew but I have been preoccupied with the factory game since joining. I have not actually even gone to the org grid.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

On the livestream - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai3Kk37ntgg they mentioned that territory control may come by YE or soon after.

So hopefully they also make pvp not trash by then...

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Tempus Thales posted:

It's not that bad, there are the big orgs flying around killing the little orgs, we need more goons to fill combat boats... instead everyone is opting to crying in a corner because space elevators are broken... It used to be better when this pirate used to fly around in borg cubes blowing up people used to be around but then #freedodgin and poo poo happened...

We have gotten to the point where we have two pretty big industries printing ship parts, we have several combat ships, but no goons to populate them, so we have been limiting ourselves to go out to PVP zone on one boat, but if we find opposition of more than 2 boats we have to turn around...

Boo is out in force with 5-10 ship fleet ops - we saw them yesterday and ran to the safe zone because we just don't have the sheer numbers that boo has.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

flick3r posted:

Correct way of reaching Goon Platform: https://streamable.com/ff1q1s

To add some context - this madlad just joined today - asked how to get to the goon platform 7000 meters up.

I told him to just strap engines to a chair because I figured it would be most entertaining....instead he actually pulls it off.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

ModeSix posted:

Is there any way to make this game not run like a bit of hot rear end on a GTX 1060?

The graphics options are pretty... bad.

Alternately, is this apparent input lag and really bad performance simply because I am in the starting area still and it'll get better once I get out of the starting area?

Get out of the starting area and it's going to feel like a whole different game.

The graphics are pending an update before year end supposedly.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I upped my pixel quality and noticed an immediate performance gain. It means bigger network payloads, but also not having to work for their slow rear end queue to get to me as many times when I make it to a new hex.

The geography loads in layers, so before I tweaked things it was sometimes taking 10-15 minutes before I could mine.

I'll get back to this game eventually, I crashed after my first space flight, have been stuck trying to figure out how to rebuild. I thought I was at a point where I could fly back to the market and at least take a shuttle home with pieces of my ship to rebuild at base, but just shot up into the air followed by immediately crashing again. I must have put the vertical boosters in the wrong spot or something. I've just been logging in every day to make sure I get my spacebucks followed by immediately logging out.

You should join our discord, we can pick you up and help build a ship or you can just take one of the spares etc

I absolutely do not recommend DU solo - everything will take too long if you play by yourself.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I am in your discord, I'm using the blueprints for the jetsled. Damned if I can figure out how it goes back together though, so my goal now is just to fly back to a shuttle spot and ferry my ship parts back to my Sanctuary L container for a rebuild.

Ask for help in discord dude - we can have someone ferry you to your ship etc

Also stop living out of Sanc - it's a trap.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

DrCaptainSir posted:

I'm hoping to get our space platform at least finished up in the next few days, just haven't been on. It will be real nice to have that done so we can park our space poo poo there. Plus when they make planet pvp and reduce the pvp zone it's going to make shooting mans more fun instead of just hunting main planetary pipes.

I'd toxx myself that the current safe zone will never go away and the current planets will remain PvE forever and PvP and territory warfare will only be introduced to new systems - but I'd rather not give Lowtax money if by some freaky chance I'm wrong.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

https://upvote.dualuniverse.game/?order=popular&filter=all&tag=#controls

Get voting for poo poo you care about!

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

That Works posted:

How's this game going so far? Just heard about it and it looks interesting. Would you recommend people start jumping in or eh?

I have really high hopes that the game will turn into something worth playing and would say that if you got money to burn it's worth to just cough up the $20 to queue up a year worth of skills and poke around a bit.

With that said - I certainly don't think the game is quite where it needs to be to be able to recommend it to anyone who isn't just looking for a slightly more tedious minecraft in space.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

If anyone still gives a gently caress about this game - and you probably shouldn't....but if you do - they reset the skill queues today.

So you'll have to reinstall - because I assume we all uninstalled - and requeue 3 years worth of skills before uninstalling again.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

JC is no longer listed as the CEO of NQ. He has been replaced by the CEO of the VC that was funding NQ.

Welcome to the real DU end game I suspect.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Nalin posted:

I mean, the concept of DU was never going to work. It wanted to be an entirely player-driven sandbox game, and those never work out. I can't think of a single example of that working out. Everything that comes close has a sandbox built on top of actual game content, which DU never bothered to implement and doesn't seem to have any plans to do.

Pretty much - all because JC has never made a game and refused to listen to anyone or look at other games to see how they worked and what made them tick.

Dude literally thought he would be the real world Halliday

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Is it good (yet?)?

No.

It won't be.

This is entirely a release driven by the new CEO whose entire job was to "just get it out the door" and that is what is happening.

Original CEO/founder failed to deliver the 'vision' and the new venture capitalist assigned CEO is just focused on getting whatever they can out the door.

Most kickstarter claimed features have been cut entirely - I want to call it space minecraft but it's not even that deep.

Mining is gone because they couldn't make it work without crippling lag - now it's just autominers. There is no real content in the game beyond crappy UPS hauling missions.

This release is nothing more than an attempt to recoup the investment. Do not give them a penny. If you don't believe me - just wait a week and watch the reviews pour in.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

https://www.dualuniverse.game/news/...ing%20sessions.

It's a huge change to how mining worked in general - you can now only 'handmine' space asteroids. (Although nobody really does - because why would you? Ore is super cheap and it's more time effective to run one of the tedious NPC hauling missions and just buy the ore from others who automined it than to handmine it from an asteroid - and forget about PvP asteroids - no sane reason to bother with that, not even due to risk, just due to the time investment - not worth it.)

It's also a fundamental change to what the game is as it introduces infinite resources and removes all need for competition for resources. You claim your tiles, setup autominers and recal them daily. Besides the initial rush to get the tile there is nothing.

There is no ability to fight over land tiles.

It's arguably very much p2w as taxes on tiles and autominer limits are tied to paid accounts - so you could just pay $7 a month to double your daily minerals....

There are sooo many other dumb changes that I can't be bothered to type them out - so here's a video instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myRY37NWCfQ

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 24, 2022

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Draynar posted:

They ever fix combat so the best ship wasnt borg cube nonsense? Or make it not look like total boring poo poo?

Sort of but it's not any less boring.

There is still no reason to PvP and PvP fights are basically getting arranged - in part because low pop and because no real reason for it or for anyone to venture into PvP space.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

I recall the vision for this game being super hype about some kinda groundbreaking awesum possum netcode they had which would dwarf all other games and achieve peace in our time

Does this still ring true some 3-5 years later, or is the hype gone in the wind? Also someone has to explain to me what was it about that netcode that was so hype

In short. Not in a meaningful way.

You're probably thinking of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZtqoydXpc

And yes - that tech is impressive and that tech is in the game.

If you watched the server tech demo you may notice something a bit different from how DU actually is in real life - the issue isn't DU 'players' walking around - it's constructs.

The DU tech falls flat on it's face even if it's just you alone in an area heavily populated by constructs. Just flying your ship up to a heavily built up area would cause significant stuttering as your client was fed data about the game world you were entering and then struggled to render it. There are actually multiple bottlenecks in play in that case - one is the ability of the server to pump data to the client and the other is the ability to turn that data into actually renderable poo poo for the GPU - and it's actually core count limited. Intel even used that difference in a marketing video:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/intel-core-i9-processors-reduce-open-world-load-times.html

Once again the video is an empty game world but already shows that on thread limited machines trees appear late. (Trees by the way used to be collidable objects, but that was changed exactly due to this issue.) The same is true for constructs - and it's much worse. You can be flying your ship through what you see as empty space - only to have a space elevator appear right in front of you with no ability for you to evade - because it just finally got downloaded, processed, and rendered - and now you are dead.

The whole mess of world changing data is why mining got taken out. Players digging up the world just created too much data. As is, the game ships with the base terrain and your client is fed updates about player made modifications to the terrain which the game client stores as cache. With players being able to basically dig up the entire planet, that was just too much deviation for them to handle the data. So that's why they scrapped the whole thing and just made temporary spawnable asteroids minable, so that the modified world state for those can just be reset weekly.

Finally even more performance issues came from how the game handled player run lua code and your client could freeze just by being in proximity of a poorly scripted screen - so you could be flying your ship to the market, pass by a parked ship that contains an active lua script and have your game freeze. I have not touched the game in years and many if not all of the lua issues maybe fixed by now, but it used to be an absolute minefield.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 31, 2022

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

zxqv8 posted:

3. Once you have made progress and built a ship and all that...there's nothing to do. You can run cargo, or you can go hang out in space with guns hoping to but never seeing anyone to have a fight with because there's zero reason to risk your dozens of hours of grinding by leaving the safe zone. Not least of all because pvp is boring as gently caress.

Supposedly they added alien cores that give plasma that is a 'big deal' and they spawn in PvP space:

https://dualuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Alien_Core

I expect some mega org to own all the cores a few weeks in.

There are of course also space asteroids in pvp space that can be mined if you so choose - although for the most part the ROI just isn't there.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

zxqv8 posted:

yeah it's not impossible that they could add some things and end up with an interesting game, but it seems more likely that they just run out of money first

They're basically out of money - that's why they are releasing, and raising the sub price.

The headcount on NQ on LinkedIn is down 25% from 2 years ago.

I except the game to go on life support the second it's released and shut down the moment the server costs exceed the revenue - which could be within the first year.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

floppyspud posted:

A game releasing with a monthly sub I'm 2022 is probably a red flag. I mean come on guys, it's the age of dumb cosmetic poo poo and microtransactions, we know you don't need to milk us for more money...

It was always going to be a sub game with the "EVE" model of "Buy your sub with in-game currency from fat whales who buy it for $$$!"

Which all in all isn't a terrible idea - after all it works great for EVE, Black Desert Online and probably other MMOs I had the metal fortitude to stay the gently caress away from.

The price hike though isn't a good sign. My personal take on it is that they are seeing very little "wish listing" activity on Steam and are expecting a minimal number of new subs so they are trying to milk the few fans the game has and the few new joiners as much as possible.

I'm seeing this as Hellgate: London selling the "Lifetime Subscription" for $150 in 2007 just to announce the shutdown in 2008.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

So who wants to place bets on shutdown date?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

*runs into thread, breathless*

I got here after reading the new PC gamer review and it sounds incredible??

https://www.pcgamer.com/dual-universe-review/

Yeah, they only give it a 60, but putting on my critical thinking cap I think I'd like the game much more than the reviewer: I LIKE games with "friction", with long travel time and immersive systems that delay gratification.

My friends and I are immediately interested in playing this, we like Ark, Valhiem, Eve, Eq, etc, so we may enjoy a big, slow, deep game more than the reviewer.

So, I've just read the review, I'm at work, i haven't seen gameplay footage - what's up with this game??

Is it buggy?

Is it poorly optimized?

Do roving bands of pvp streamers descend on vulnerable players the second they leave the newbie planet?

Are major systems broken or missing?

Honestly, tell me what's bad about this because frankly I'm interested as hell and will probably try it this weekend?

Play the demo before you dump $ into it - there is a substantial chance that you won't even get through the tutorial before you go "Nope. Nope Nope...NOPE!" and uninstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Nalin posted:

Dual Universe suffers from the problem that many smaller studios run into: they can't afford / don't want to pay to make content, so they design the whole entire game around a 100% sandbox experience and pretend that the players will create all the content for them. You get a little rush at the launch based on the promise, but then people very, very quickly get bored since there is literally nothing to do.

Dual Universe falls into these problems very hard. The only interesting thing to do is to build with a voxel engine. Everquest Next did the same thing and that failed too. People eventually get bored of constructing things with the virtual legos, especially since there isn't much to actually do with those things they create.

Starbase had the same issue.

It's not even just that - DU has progressively made it harder and harder and harder to get the lego pieces you need to build the things you want.

T2 ore distribution post release is much worse than it was in beta thus creating yet another speed bump.

In short NQ has consistently increased the grind to access the only unique part of the game.

Everything besides the voxel building system is done better by other games.