Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Further evidence that Kyle Dubas is a liar and no one should ever believe a word that comes out of his baby face.

That was the most obvious of Dubas picks and there was no way he was going to fall below the Leafs despite what he said in his presser barring someone dumb falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

A quick, nimble defenceman. Finnish.

This guy will get a Norris one day.

Leafs having a great blogger draft while making guys like Burke’s head explode is great.

Three guys listed at 168, 164 and 163 lbs after his press conference is a tremendous troll job by Dubas.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Is there any value in reading how a writer grades a team's draft? Like, it's interesting as a fan of the team to see what kind of player the team drafted, but the overall score just seems so useless.

I think the ratings are more useful as a tool to “lock in” someone’s evaluations so they can go back 3-5 and see how their ratings stack up and what they got right/wrong. But yeah, I don’t think they really mean anything right now and I read them more just to figure out which 18 year old I should irrationally root for.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

If there's one thing in sports that decidedly overrated it's in person scouting. Teams could save a boat load by during firing the guys they have all over the world and just letting the stats guys run prospects through their programs. The success rate is at worst a wash but likely far higher.

You could probably get decent results from the CHL where at least everyone is playing against comperable peers but I think you’d miss a lot in Europe and even NCAA where physical maturity is makes a much bigger difference. Like I don’t know how instructive the stats of a 17 year old boys playing against 28 year old men in the KHL are going to be other than for extreme outliers.

Like I think in person pro scouting is pretty much useless but at 18 I think you still need some in person viewings. There’s also all the smaller leagues where the stats just aren’t there or reliable yet.