Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Nah, OP just needs to stop overthinking this.

You're parents gifted you the money, that means you don't owe them anything. The cash was 100% theirs until they handed it to you (or wrote you a check, transferred it, whatever), then it wass 100% yours. They don't have a say in it anymore, nor should they, that's how cash works. If they didn't want you to have it, then they wouldn't have given it to you. Your parents gave you cash while they still thought you were gainfully employed, when you wouldn't have even needed the financial support. Clearly they wanted you to have the money, so there's no need to feel guilty about having the money. Unless your parents specifically said to you "Son, we're only giving you this money because you're currently employed, and we wouldn't be giving you this money if you were unemployed", then there's no moral quandary here. As far as the missing cash, you may as well have blown it in Vegas, it really doesn't matter. Your life happenings are none of your parents' business if you don't wish to share that info with them. Telling your parents about your employment status is 100% your prerogative, and not something to feel shame over.

OP, I know this 'lingering distrust' you speak of very well. Only you know your parents and the full context of this situation. Generally, I'd recommend being as honest as you can in your life, and as I mentioned, you really haven't done anything wrong. But if your honesty here is only going to harm more than it helps, or more harm than you can handle right now, then it just may not be worth it. Only the OP can make that calculation, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU