Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It sounds like your guilt about taking gifts from your parents is the root of the issue here. Do you ever feel that you don't talk to them enough, or as though they miss you? It sounds as though they gave you money as an unconditional gift. Depression can really do a number on your head, and make incidental kindnesses appear to be conditional demands. I don't know the specifics of your relationship though, so feel free to correct here.

Try working on your relationship with your parents. Call and chat with them on the weekends, send a picture when you're out on vacation, little things like that. If you have an OK relationship with your parents, then you shouldn't feel so much guilt and shouldn't be compelled to lie about your financial situation. Confessing that you were unemployed for a longer period may help, but in the long term the most important thing is to establish a healthy relationship where you don't feel you have to lie about your circumstances.

This is all assuming your parents have a somewhat healthy attitude of course, but I haven't seen any signs to the contrary in what you've written so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jeza came at the situation with a different angle than I did, but definitely agree that it is also advice worth listening to.