Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
The dumbest thing about mirror episodes is that one universe should be predominantly left handed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HAmbONE posted:

The dumbest thing about mirror episodes is that one universe should be predominantly left handed

I mean not the first media to posit this. Event horizon also went a bit into ramifications of the existence of such a universe as well.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

dr_rat posted:

I mean not the first media to posit this. Event horizon also went a bit into ramifications of the existence of such a universe as well.

I don't remember that at all. Can you elaborate?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

dr_rat posted:

Event Horizon is a 40k prequel movie, the gravity drive sends them through the warp. Apparently the concept art had this extremely obvious without going into copyright infringement.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The dialogue made it really obvious as well.

quote:

Miller: Oh. My. God. What happened to your eyes?

Dr. Weir: Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see.

Miller: What are you talking about?

Dr. Weir: I created the Event Horizon to reach the stars, but she's gone much, much farther than that. She tore a hole in our universe, a gateway to another dimension. A dimension of pure chaos. Pure... evil. When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was alive! Look at her, Miller. Isn't she beautiful?

Miller: Your "beautiful" ship killed its crew, Doctor.

Dr. Weir: Well... now she has another crew. Now she has us.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The best Mirror Universe of all was Red Dwarf's Demons and Angels. It was an excuse for the actors to ham it up and made fun of the entire concept of evil twins.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I love Dwarf for that, and that they did Demons and Angels and Back To Reality back to back.

Honestly, they went back to that well several times with good results, leaning hard on Ace Rimmer and Duane Dibbley.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 21, 2022

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I like how every sci-fi story now has their own in-universe word for basically just personal smart phones: tablets, padds, PDAs, etc. Like now that we have them we can't imagine a future without them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

chainchompz posted:

I like how every sci-fi story now has their own in-universe word for basically just personal smart phones: tablets, padds, PDAs, etc. Like now that we have them we can't imagine a future without them.

Enh, depends on how you count.

Various incarnations of some kind of Clipboard 2000 computer tablet have been common in sci fi for ages. And the computer-as-ship-tea-earl-grey-hot kind of deals are basically just hands-free smartphones, same deal with mobile holographic interfaces.

What I'll definitely give you is that they've become near ubiquitous. But I think that's less that the writer can't imagine other devices and more that various smart devices are in the reference frame of most modern audiences, so it's easier to include them in a story without needing to introduce them separately. Vaguely similar to how a lot of future weapons still look very gun-like so the audience can quickly understand what it's supposed to do.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

chainchompz posted:

Well, part of that is because we in the real world can't consistently agree on a single term, so it makes sense that any particular shift in technology or any new big brand of products could overtake the terminology (and writers seldom want to incorporate in-world redundant terminology). Also for apple products they have to come up with some kind of alternative branding for their iOS devices because of the whole thing where real brand names aren't used freely in fiction (depicting a more-fictionalized version of Steve Jobs is optional).

And another reason is that a lot of fictional smartphones/tablets predate modern smartphones and tablets, because the idea had been floating around for decades before the iPhone consolidated the modern concept, probably because small handheld computer devices have been knocking around for a very long time since at least the 80s. Not that hard to predict those would get a lot better and more ubiquitous, although veering hard away from buttons or hardware details was a bit of a curveball.

There are a lot of works that try to get creative about imagining future form factors like holographic displays or implants or the DBZ scouter (which is also technically a real thing that has been around since the 60s but hasn't really caught on with any public consumer technology). Mass Effect had the idea of some kind of hard-light gauntlet constructs with like a series of rotary dials for control, that was creative.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
TNG/DS9 era PADDs weirdly enough had a lot of things predicted, the use of touchscreens and all, and even the way they're used- with piles of them representing someone swamped with metaphorical paperwork- making sense considering the established technology of the setting where they're basically printed off the replicator and thrown back in when you're done.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

also, seeing as how bad our acutal tablets are for multitasking, a big stack isn't entirely out of the question

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
One thing that's always kind of funny about seeing those personal computer things in 90s TV shows is how small the screens always are (PADDs in Star Trek being the rare exception, but even then look at tricorders) compared to the rest of the device. The device being all screen seems to be one of those things people weren't really expecting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Or maybe they're actually looking further into the future to a period where the Apple aesthetic pushing for maximum simplicity has died out and people are more willing to compromise on screen size for the sake of other benefits like durability, maintenance, or additional hardware features.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Best smart phone I ever had was an HTC mogul with a slide out keyboard.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Remember when Jack Bauers PDA in the first season of 24 was so laughably unrealistically capable that it might as well be scifi?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Robert Heinlein

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Enh, Hubb-dawg is tough competition.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

chainchompz posted:

Tablets are real (I have an Android one). Padds, well, iPad. Both are...tablets, not phones. PDAs were real in the 90s/early 2000s. They're not really made up sci-fi words, padds aside.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

feedmegin posted:

Tablets are real (I have an Android one). Padds, well, iPad. Both are...tablets, not phones. PDAs were real in the 90s/early 2000s. They're not really made up sci-fi words, padds aside.

I’ll give it to the old Star Wars EU: ‘datapad’ got it right the first time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

This came up before. “Computer but small and often flat” is nearly ubiquitous in sci fi for ages. You could try to argue that they’re more prominent now, but almost every sci fi universe has had them in there somewhere since the late 50’s.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's.... almost like clay tablets are some of the first known means of recording/storing information across time and space, so making it also a computer was a pretty organic connection

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yuuuuup.

Or like clip boards or the concept of notepads or how anyone walking around does work right now.

It’s not a big mystery.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I was thinking more that's dumb because the specific terms used to either evoke the idea or sound generic enough without crossing any other franchise's or real item's name. Like just say phone, PDA, or tablet- every sci fi franchise doesn't need their own in-universe iteration of the word.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

chainchompz posted:

I was thinking more that's dumb because the specific terms used to either evoke the idea or sound generic enough without crossing any other franchise's or real item's name. Like just say phone, PDA, or tablet- every sci fi franchise doesn't need their own in-universe iteration of the word.

A lot of the examples literally predate the existence of tablets, PDAs and portable phones as we know them.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Got me there. I think in modern sci fi where we already have the tech it's a little tacky to come up with new terms for existing stuff, though.

It could be it's own category but the conjoining of "rule of cool" sprinkled with a dash of plot armor, and realism, like say in Warhammer 40k where the Space Marines are supposed to be these ultimate badasses in battle, however all but important characters get wiped out all the time no biggie. Kind of like how Worf in TNG/DS9 is supposed to be this ultimate badass Klingon dude but he gets routinely defeated by blue barrels.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

chainchompz posted:

Got me there. I think in modern sci fi where we already have the tech it's a little tacky to come up with new terms for existing stuff, though.

It could be it's own category but the conjoining of "rule of cool" sprinkled with a dash of plot armor, and realism, like say in Warhammer 40k where the Space Marines are supposed to be these ultimate badasses in battle, however all but important characters get wiped out all the time no biggie. Kind of like how Worf in TNG/DS9 is supposed to be this ultimate badass Klingon dude but he gets routinely defeated by blue barrels.

Sir/ma'am, please put down the TV Tropes.

No one has to get hurt today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

chainchompz posted:

It's not just about form but also about function--if your small slate computers are not used for firehosing mass media into your eyeholes and shitposting on social media, they're not smartphones.