Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So who wants to play Scum and Villainy but it’s just season 2 of The Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

One thing that seems consistent in most of Star Wars is that there's very little standardization, and the bulk of ships, even if they're nominally dedicated freighters, have internal cargo bays, and usually have relatively small openings to access the hold. That means that the galaxy of Star Wars lacks the standardized containerization that revolutionized modern logistics in order to allow massive freight containers to just be passed between ships, trains, and trucks with massive specialized cranes.

Instead, much cargo in Star Wars would have to be treated like it was in the days before containerization: Loading and unloading by hand by an army of stevedores having to climb inside the ship and carry things out. With whatever mechanical assistance they can get, but you're not getting a forklift inside the Millennium Falcon. I'd like to see some kind of busy spaceport full of stevedores anxious for work, or maybe Star Wars could explore unionization. Technically I think most ports that do show up onscreen in Star Wars are small-time back alley docking bays, gas station equivalents, passenger ports, or just military bases, none of which would really have a whole lot of civilian dockworkers hanging around to shift cargo. Star Wars stories often have ships trying to keep a low profile instead of selling cargo in bulk. Smugglers probably don't contract stevedores much.

There are vehicles that carry external cargo containers, but the key thing missing is standardization. The GR-75 Rebel Transport has a great big open area to access its cargo, but all the containers are irregularly-sized, some of them even put in at different angles. Many vehicles have specialized cargo containers that only work with their specific type of ship, which defeats the point of being able to just plop down a container and go. Either you need to unload the container anyways to give it back, or you need to logistically organize to do business with a bunch of groups that only use the same kind of ship, and even then there's probably no way that they have vehicles suited to carry the same containers on land or sea to the next step on their journey. And then on top of it all, almost none of the larger cargo containers are stackable, so it'd be a nightmare to efficiently store everything.

Since Star Wars is reflecting the Golden Age SF of the 40s and 50s, it's fully in character to have breakbulk cargo be their model. All the cargo containers that have wormed their way into the production design are the real interlopers here. With droids to be the stevedores, it's another example of "how to use futuristic-looking technology as inefficiently as possible" which is a core SW theme goal.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Madurai posted:

Since Star Wars is reflecting the Golden Age SF of the 40s and 50s, it's fully in character to have breakbulk cargo be their model. All the cargo containers that have wormed their way into the production design are the real interlopers here. With droids to be the stevedores, it's another example of "how to use futuristic-looking technology as inefficiently as possible" which is a core SW theme goal.

They even made the stevedores surly, just like people!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

One thing that seems consistent in most of Star Wars is that there's very little standardization, and the bulk of ships, even if they're nominally dedicated freighters, have internal cargo bays, and usually have relatively small openings to access the hold. That means that the galaxy of Star Wars lacks the standardized containerization that revolutionized modern logistics in order to allow massive freight containers to just be passed between ships, trains, and trucks with massive specialized cranes.
That depends a bunch on what sources you're looking at. The space sim games (x-wing, tie fighter, ...) are lousy with these guys

hauling cargo or having the side containers dropped off waiting somewhere

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Instead, much cargo in Star Wars would have to be treated like it was in the days before containerization: Loading and unloading by hand by an army of stevedores having to climb inside the ship and carry things out. With whatever mechanical assistance they can get, but you're not getting a forklift inside the Millennium Falcon. I'd like to see some kind of busy spaceport full of stevedores anxious for work, or maybe Star Wars could explore unionization.

That's what droids are for, and yes they absolutely should unionise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Star Wars is also a huge only barely united galaxy with probably tons of competing design styles and schemes still. Droids if anything are probably a shortcut, especially with how the literal Trade Federation relies on them- they find it easier to invest in better droids than better containers.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Most designers in the SW universe are very dumb. Just look at the lack of basic safety features like railings.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Most designers in the SW universe are very dumb. Just look at the lack of basic safety features like railings.

Counterpoint: cultures obsessed with things like personal safety aren't the one who go on to found interstellar empires.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Geonosians designed the death star and they have wings, why would they need railings?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Wars is also a huge only barely united galaxy with probably tons of competing design styles and schemes still. Droids if anything are probably a shortcut, especially with how the literal Trade Federation relies on them- they find it easier to invest in better droids than better containers.

Madurai posted:

I think it's the above a lot, with droids doing most of the work unless none were available, or you were a small timer or in a pinch. I remember people using "repulsor lifts" which was just like a big hand truck that floats a few inches off the ground with thrusters or magnets or whatever instead of having wheels so it felt like you were pushing a load of feathers instead of whatever heavy junk you had loaded up on it.

Also I think their standardized containers are just way smaller in size, like 5'x5' or so, maybe a few different bigger sizes, mostly because of as above with ships being of such vastly different designs you need something that will fit. Having a standardized container much bigger then that isn't feasible, so yeah droids and lifts, then loading that on to bigger pallet moving type ships or devices for moving around space ports or warehouses or whatever, then load those up on the big bulk freighters for mass transport, then just pull those big slabs full of smaller containers around.

When you think about it like that, it isn't too much different from our system, except we don't have droids, but we do have cranes. A bunch of people with dolly's and fork lifts (repulsor lifts) loading boxes up into semi trucks (light freighters, like the Falcon), who take that to a space sport (train station, sea port), then load them onto freight trains or container ships (bulk freighters) except instead of standardized containers it's big slabs of smaller standardized containers, or they put those boxes in bigger containers just like we do.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Geonosians designed the death star and they have wings, why would they need railings?

I have working legs why do I need to add wheelchair ramps and elevators to this building?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

I have working legs why do I need to add wheelchair ramps and elevators to this building?

Because apparently you like wasting money. What do I look like Darth Vestments? No, now loving finish that thing on time and at the budget I set.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's now my headcanon that originally the Death Star was originally called "The Starkiller" b/c R E F E R E N C E but all the workers and underlyings and even officers started to call it a "Death Star" because of lack of safety compliance that the name stuck.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Madurai posted:

Actually existing space fighters are also a key achievement in being inefficient. :grin:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Twenty Four posted:

I think it's the above a lot, with droids doing most of the work unless none were available, or you were a small timer or in a pinch. I remember people using "repulsor lifts" which was just like a big hand truck that floats a few inches off the ground with thrusters or magnets or whatever instead of having wheels so it felt like you were pushing a load of feathers instead of whatever heavy junk you had loaded up on it.

Also I think their standardized containers are just way smaller in size, like 5'x5' or so, maybe a few different bigger sizes, mostly because of as above with ships being of such vastly different designs you need something that will fit. Having a standardized container much bigger then that isn't feasible, so yeah droids and lifts, then loading that on to bigger pallet moving type ships or devices for moving around space ports or warehouses or whatever, then load those up on the big bulk freighters for mass transport, then just pull those big slabs full of smaller containers around.

When you think about it like that, it isn't too much different from our system, except we don't have droids, but we do have cranes. A bunch of people with dolly's and fork lifts (repulsor lifts) loading boxes up into semi trucks (light freighters, like the Falcon), who take that to a space sport (train station, sea port), then load them onto freight trains or container ships (bulk freighters) except instead of standardized containers it's big slabs of smaller standardized containers, or they put those boxes in bigger containers just like we do.

I don't think you understood the original point?

Containerization doesn't mean just having containers ; boxes and baskets and amphora and other ways of containing things have existed since pretty much about as far as we have archaeological evidence. The advancement of containerization as a recent development (really getting going in the 1960's) was that every single means of conveying freight wound up using the exact same kinds of interchangeable containers. Like how commercial cargo boats and freight trains use literally the exact same big-rear end containers and they can be freely swapped around as needed.

What you're describing is the exact same thing as an 19th century freight train or a Greek trireme or whatever filled with sacks of grain, which isn't containerization and is what's in Star Wars. Hence the original point of the post.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, the glory of containerization is that you load up these giant aluminum boxes, and then you can put it on a semi-truck to take it to a train that can plop it on a boat to take it across the sea to another train or truck to take it to its final destination with no reason to open up the box along the way, and in-between steps on the journey, they can just be safely stacked in a pile. Without standardization, you have to keep switching boxes between steps of the journey, or take a bunch of small boxes from one step to the next instead of one big box at a time.

I guess there's also not a lot of depiction of intermediate logistics steps in Star Wars, but I think the few trains that have been depicted don't seem to have big cargo containers on them.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's what droids are for, and yes they absolutely should unionise.

The work is probably split between purpose-built droids and droids built for different purposes just getting poorly reused, but with the way Star Wars goes it may still be organics doing the bulk of the work because of the whole broken future thing.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

They also had no unions. Workers had to fight hard for OSHA standards like getting factories to stop the machinery when somebody wanders onto the floor.

Kinda hard to form unions when your leaders have mind-control worms. And then when they finished the first Death Star, the Empire had the workers gassed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Retro-future is absolutely key to the Star Wars aesthetic, given both thematic nods with the older styled sci-fi looks of the prequels and the WW2 in space themes of the OT. Their tech is one thing, their values are another.

And yeah, containerisation was basically a quiet revolution for global trade. The same containers go on ships, trucks and trains everywhere in the world.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Containerization was really kicked off by the war in Vietnam, so it’s quietly happening in the background of the sequel trilogy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If you want a good overview of how containerisation changed the world, read "The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger" by Mark Levinson. The flow-on effects from "hey why don't we have standardised sizes for stuff" is absolutely insane.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
How much spice y’all think Han was smuggling? Jeez.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
It's like Goldfinger's car. The Millennium Falcon is *made* from spice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At least spice isn't a space dug you inject into your eyes. That's almost always how sci-fi drugs are shown. I guess that's more impressive than having a pill or injecting into your arm or snorting it.

Though unless the drug did something to your vision i don't know how that would get in into your bloodstream faster than a vein.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't forget the drug from Robocop 2 which required you to stab yourself with a pretty big chunk of glass or plastic or whatever those containers were made of.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Don't forget the drug from Robocop 2 which required you to stab yourself with a pretty big chunk of glass or plastic or whatever those containers were made of.

This would involve remembering anything from RoboCop 2, which is not recommended.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Madurai posted:

This would involve remembering anything from RoboCop 2, which is not recommended.

I'll not have you malign the prototype unveiling scenes with your shocking ignorance.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Breetai posted:

I'll not have you malign the prototype unveiling scenes with your shocking ignorance.

Yea, Robocop 2 rules. Its like Predator 2. People say its bad but i doubt they watched it any time recently.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

At least spice isn't a space dug you inject into your eyes. That's almost always how sci-fi drugs are shown. I guess that's more impressive than having a pill or injecting into your arm or snorting it.

Though unless the drug did something to your vision i don't know how that would get in into your bloodstream faster than a vein.

I mean I guess it could get into your brain faster from your eye than your arm, but I don’t know what weird calculus you’re doing that needs to shave off a fraction of a second in getting high at the cost of shoving a needle inside your face.

From a quick google, all the injections done into eyes are, stunning surprise, done to treat eye problems and are into the vitreous jelly and not your eye veins because that’d be batshit loco.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

There was a tiny little needle on the end of it. You didn't jab the entire container into your neck.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It still blows my mind that RoboCop 2 was directed by Irvin Kirshner.

No one person is to blame for that mess but Frank Miller’s script is a big part of it, considering there was a comic book made of his “pure” vision and its even worse than the film.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Robocop 2 really could have used a final rewrite before they began filming. The flow of the movie just isn't quite right.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Robocop 2 is pretty good, still has some classic lines. 3 is the one that sucks.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RoboCop 2 is mostly poo poo, but the scene where the RoboCop sequel sees itself and commits suicide rather than go on as a shambling horror is top shelf

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Breetai posted:

Note that this is one of the few memorable scenes that anyone ever mentions when discussing the movie. Very few other elements are brought up.

And that is because the movie was poo poo, due in no small part to Kershner directing most of the movie from a wheelchair (he had a nasty flu during production that nearly killed him) and Walon Green rewriting scenes overnight and the morning they were due to be filmed.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Phil Tippett’s stop motion work was awesome and there was lots of action, which was one of the reasons I liked it as a kid (I had the VHS). I bought it on DVD much later and wow did it not hold up to what I remembered. Most kids don’t really have a concept of “bad movies” though.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

david_a posted:

Phil Tippett’s stop motion work was awesome and there was lots of action, which was one of the reasons I liked it as a kid (I had the VHS). I bought it on DVD much later and wow did it not hold up to what I remembered. Most kids don’t really have a concept of “bad movies” though.

Patton Oswalt has this story about being a little kid and staring out a window as it snowed. For a moment, his 5 year old brain believed that the snowflakes were stationary and that it was his house that was floating upwards. Every psychedelic drug he's ever taken has been in pursuit of that particular level hallucination and has never achieved it again.

Where do I have to hit myself in the head with a hammer so I can go back to having a fun time watching movies?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

david_a posted:

Yea the fight between the Kane robot and Robocop is great at the end. Other great stuff is when the parents are all "does robocop have to be so violent" which seems like its a direct attack on critics on how violent the first movie is. It also makes him completely ineffective. Who then ends up nearly killing himself to factory reset. Then the cops just go in after Kane and his crew. There's lots of memorable parts of the movie. The biggest issue with the movie is that it has zero of the statire of American life as the first one and is just a straight action movie. Tom Noonian is great as Kane, super menacing but also kinda goofy villain with his group of henchmen including an elvis guy and the slickback from that one TNG episode.

Though I will say, Predator 2 is very much maligned. Danny Glover rules, Gary Busey is fantatic, Bill Paxton also rules. Its were all the coolest predator gadgets come from, but it does have the scary non white gangs turning our cities into warzones.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Its were all the coolest predator gadgets come from, but it does have the scary non white gangs turning our cities into warzones.

Is it a point for or against the movie that the police fighting the scary non white gangs looked like this?

does one Paxton nullify the diversity or does the inclusion of a woman cancel out his whiteness?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Na'at posted:

Is it a point for or against the movie that the police fighting the scary non white gangs looked like this?

does one Paxton nullify the diversity or does the inclusion of a woman cancel out his whiteness?

Paxton is treated like the unwanted outsider who is a douchebag, so idk if he’s nullifying the diversity

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Paxton is treated like the unwanted outsider who is a douchebag, so idk if he’s nullifying the diversity

The most unwanted thing in that picture is the deagle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i love glover as the main in predator 2 but i always thought it was kind of obvious they killed off all the actors who could star in a second one. all the biggest beefcakes in hollywood got put down by the predator already.

i love predator 2. its such a coke dream