Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

love all the people who barely study the nightmare that is gravity and just assume "lol higher gravity means you'll grow stronger" instead of "YOU WILL DIE IN AGONY AS PHYSICS CRUSHES YOUR INTERNALS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Black August posted:

love all the people who barely study the nightmare that is gravity and just assume "lol higher gravity means you'll grow stronger" instead of "YOU WILL DIE IN AGONY AS PHYSICS CRUSHES YOUR INTERNALS"

There was actually an experiment run on raising chickens for 23 generations in a centrifuge to study the effects of a higher gravity environment.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-apr-01-he-booster1-story.html

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Black August posted:

The damage the saiyan organs take consistently heals and makes them stronger when they train in high gravity, and the reverse happens in normal gravity, so their organs can withstand all pressures. duh

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The damage the saiyan organs take consistently heals and makes them stronger when they train in high gravity, and the reverse happens in normal gravity, so their organs can withstand all pressures. duh

I wasn't talking about Saiyans, they're special and have an intimate relationship with gravitational forces like Jupiter, or a singularity

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Black August posted:

to be clear, Gor is substantially dumber than even this

Gor's thing about gravity was that the humans of Gor have been living in a low-g environment for generations, and this has made them substantially more muscular than humans who have are adapted to 1G.

On the list of horrible :biotruths: inside Gor, this one doesn't actually rank high, which is probably why I remember it because it's more funny than gross or pathetic like the rest of the setting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The gravity was just yet another thing that Gor stole from Barsoom.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
How about the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds and the machines that come out of the ground from approximately a 50-80 feet depth in the middle of every metropolis with subways and sewer systems that I guess nobody noticed during building the entirety of civilization.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually was made canon that Saiyans didn't actually evolve on a high gravity planet, they destroyed their original homeworld (Sadala, of course) in a war and conquered the planet of the Tuffles (who actually ARE short and stocky as you'd expect heavyworlders to be) and renamed it Planet Vegeta.

Also reminded of a fun bit in the Buu Saga where one of Babidi's henchmen is from a high gravity world and turns the arena high gravity thinking it'll make Vegeta helpless, and is loving floored that Vegeta is just amused and says he actively goes out of his way to train in high gravity

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I can not remember the book, I want to guess it was one of Greg Bear's stupid books I didn't finish, but someone needed to send agents to another planet. So they shot an energy pulse towards the star, and when it hit the corona the energy and particles from the corona fell into a very specific pattern which eventually created a space ship with a human on board with all the memories they had before they got shot across the galaxy.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

CainFortea posted:

I can not remember the book, I want to guess it was one of Greg Bear's stupid books I didn't finish, but someone needed to send agents to another planet. So they shot an energy pulse towards the star, and when it hit the corona the energy and particles from the corona fell into a very specific pattern which eventually created a space ship with a human on board with all the memories they had before they got shot across the galaxy.

i find this concept moderately cool

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

oh but seriously I posted:

i find this concept moderately cool

It was explained as if it was like fast tracked planned evolution, and that by bumping these particles together in this exact pattern you end up with a space ship and person in the exact quantum state for information to be preserved.

I just can't see that ever being a thing no matter how advanced something becomes. Because that would mean that it could happen on it's own just randomly. Which is laughable.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

CainFortea posted:

It was explained as if it was like fast tracked planned evolution, and that by bumping these particles together in this exact pattern you end up with a space ship and person in the exact quantum state for information to be preserved.

I just can't see that ever being a thing no matter how advanced something becomes. Because that would mean that it could happen on it's own just randomly. Which is laughable.

Boltzmann Brains fancruft got published in actual physics journals. I'm not saying its not nonsense

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's more like the fun kind of Star Trek deus ex machina that's so much more bullshit when you vaguely understand the science it just becomes funny.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more like the fun kind of Star Trek deus ex machina that's so much more bullshit when you vaguely understand the science it just becomes funny.

Like changing the frequency of your lasers to match the shield frequency so it will breach the shields and hit?

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Teal'C gets some of the lowkey funniest lines even early on in SG1. Like there is an episode where ONeil casually mentions that Teal'C has watched Star Wars a few times and Teal'C deadpans, "600 times. I have watched it 600 times." Or very late in the series Claudia Black get impregnated by Space Gods and everyone is like, "A virgin birth?! You mean like..." and Teal'C interrupts, "Like Anakin Skywalker!" with a big smile on his face.

I miss Stargate, I know they did every trope in the book, but it just doesn't seem like anything good has replaced it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Balsa posted:

I miss Stargate, I know they did every trope in the book, but it just doesn't seem like anything good has replaced it.

Stargate was b-grade slocky as hell, knew it, and was proud of it. You could really tell the writers were often just having a lot of fun with the setting and sci-fi tropes in general. Closest we have now is lower decks. Fringe while a bit more serious in parts had a very similar vibe to me, just a lot of the writers having a hole lot of fun with sci-fi ideas. Would definitely like more stargate/fringe shows.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The gems created by a perpetual lightning storm collecting robots in Sable are not lightning insulated

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Sun Crusher.

Ok, you've built starship with an invincible hull. Do you know what isn't invincible?

Everything that isn't the hull, including the pilot.

It isn't even particularly maneuverable, just ram it with something big, fast, and with enough mass to survive the impact. Like a Star Destroyer. Or, better yet? Play it safe. Park an interdictor on the edge of the star system outside of Supernova radius and just evade it until it runs out of fuel. What's the Sun Crusher going to do against a capitol ship? Nothing. Just trap it in a gravity well, it can only carry so much space gasoline.

Pity the keen tactical mind of Admiral "Retconned to have Brain Damage" Daala didn't think to try any of that. She was too busy ramming her Star Destroyers into things that weren't the Sun Crusher (like black holes, each other, and planets). :v:

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Sun Crusher.

Ok, you've built starship with an invincible hull. Do you know what isn't invincible?

Everything that isn't the hull, including the pilot.

It isn't even particularly maneuverable, just ram it with something big, fast, and with enough mass to survive the impact. Like a Star Destroyer. Or, better yet? Play it safe. Park an interdictor on the edge of the star system outside of Supernova radius and just evade it until it runs out of fuel. What's the Sun Crusher going to do against a capitol ship? Nothing. Just trap it in a gravity well, it can only carry so much space gasoline.

Pity the keen tactical mind of Admiral "Retconned to have Brain Damage" Daala didn't think to try any of that. She was too busy ramming her Star Destroyers into things that weren't the Sun Crusher (like black holes, each other, and planets). :v:

Pretty much the first thing they did with the sun crusher after stealing it was kill a star destroyer by ramming it and flying right through

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Admiral "Retconned to have Brain Damage" Daala

Whaaaat?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Pretty much the first thing they did with the sun crusher after stealing it was kill a star destroyer by ramming it and flying right through

This is acceptable only if they were hooting and cheering like the nuke riding guy from Dr Strangelove the whole way through.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I think it's a requirement to be elected president of the galaxy

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of Daala, it was revealed in a later book that she only got her position by sleeping with Tarkin.

I know she's a genocidal fascist, but she was shown to be capable and deserving of her position, but nope, she's a woman, she had to of gotten there by banging dudes.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of Daala, it was revealed in a later book that she only got her position by sleeping with Tarkin.

I know she's a genocidal fascist, but she was shown to be capable and deserving of her position, but nope, she's a woman, she had to of gotten there by banging dudes.

Contrast her with Thrawn, I guess we’re to infer the Imperial Navy hates women more than it hates aliens

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do sometimes feel weird about the way the newer stuff seems to go out of its way to be inclusive and representational with the Imperials. Kinda makes me wonder if the writers remember that they're fascists.

I think the idea with the old EU was that Thrawn was pretty sidelined in the functioning of the Empire just like Daala, except while Daala got an important job taking care of an isolated top-secret research, Thrawn got a job looking after some Imperial forces in the Unknown Regions that nobody else knew about, and he used that to carve out his own little independent powerbase for when the Empire fell.

Also Thrawn's real name is Mitt.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I like the "we're EQUAL OPPORTUNITY genocidal fascists!" angle; seems more relevant these days.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do sometimes feel weird about the way the newer stuff seems to go out of its way to be inclusive and representational with the Imperials. Kinda makes me wonder if the writers remember that they're fascists.

I think the idea with the old EU was that Thrawn was pretty sidelined in the functioning of the Empire just like Daala, except while Daala got an important job taking care of an isolated top-secret research, Thrawn got a job looking after some Imperial forces in the Unknown Regions that nobody else knew about, and he used that to carve out his own little independent powerbase for when the Empire fell.

Also Thrawn's real name is Mitt.

Mitt Thrawmney?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I never really liked the "Empire as nazis" angle. They took nazi imagery, and yeah, it was pretty obvious shorthand that the imperials were all white dudes while the rebels were diverse (for the 80s.) But the EU ran with it and made the Empire an explicit human supremacy thing. I don't want that in Star Wars. And it really doesn't make sense to me that cartoon baddie Palpatine would give a drat about what gender or species you are. He's evil because he loves being evil.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I never really liked the "Empire as nazis" angle. They took nazi imagery, and yeah, it was pretty obvious shorthand that the imperials were all white dudes while the rebels were diverse (for the 80s.) But the EU ran with it and made the Empire an explicit human supremacy thing. I don't want that in Star Wars. And it really doesn't make sense to me that cartoon baddie Palpatine would give a drat about what gender or species you are. He's evil because he loves being evil.

Yea but, that's what was on screen. Explicitly the only people in the imperial navy, and thus people with power, are corellians. It already was explicit.

On top of that, being a supremacist is exactly the kind of cartoonish evil you'd expect. Not only is it dumb, but it's also just the next step from how he rose to power, fear of the Other.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Their footsoldiers are literally called Stormtroopers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fair, but that's what I mean, the nazi imagery was all the OT empire had. George Lucas wasn't trying to tell a story about nazism.

Then the EU had to go make it explicit. Still without saying anything useful or interesting about fascism. The Empire is nazis because nazis are the stock bad guys of recent western history.

The Emperor is Skeletor, not Hitler.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Fair, but that's what I mean, the nazi imagery was all the OT empire had. George Lucas wasn't trying to tell a story about nazism.

Then the EU had to go make it explicit. Still without saying anything useful or interesting about fascism. The Empire is nazis because nazis are the stock bad guys of recent western history.

The Emperor is Skeletor, not Hitler.

I don't think it's that big a leap, we see a fair number of non-humans... how many of them are in an imperial uniform? None that I can recall. The only ones we see work with them are the informer in ANH, and some of the bounty hunters in ESB. The crew of the Executor is explicitly unhappy the bounty hunters are on board btw.

The Rebellion on the other hand? plenty of non-humans

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
There aren't even any visible minorities or women in the OT Empire, much less humans. The first movie came out 30 years after WWII, "these guys are Space Nazis" was pretty clear intent that everyone of the time would have understood without it needing to be explicit.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I don't think it's that big a leap, we see a fair number of non-humans... how many of them are in an imperial uniform? None that I can recall. The only ones we see work with them are the informer in ANH, and some of the bounty hunters in ESB. The crew of the Executor is explicitly unhappy the bounty hunters are on board btw.

The Rebellion on the other hand? plenty of non-humans

P. Sure the only nonhuman rebel in anh is chewie.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In the original trilogy, the Empire didn't really have a lot of explicit ideology, but they were still...y'know in basic terms, evil. They were authoritarian. They induced the mass suffering of others. They murdered people for no reason. They tortured. They smashed whatever governmental checks and balances that were supposed to be constraining them. While the specifics of fascism might not necessarily apply, fascism is one of the most well-known examples of this sort of evil authoritarianism. You could also maybe make a lot of comparisons to Stalinism and various other flavors of authoritarianism, but I don't really know well enough to say.

But on top of that, they have another big thing associated with fascists and other excessively authoritarian groups: That authority comes at a cost. They are incompetent. They are arrogant. They are disfunctional. That is what comes from iron-fisted top-down leadership like that. They burn through their resources at a faster rate. They lose valuable personnel in the process of making examples, and they go on crazy vanity projects that burn through even more. That's an aspect of authoritarianism people seem to lose sight of a lot lately, and I feel like a lot of the material that downplays Imperial fascism also ignores that as well, which means it just shows these strict authoritarians being super great at what they do from being so authoritarian, which I don't like.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
A weird petty God who makes a human and a lizard fight for his amusement is staggered at the concept of mercy and in turn spares blowing up some space ships.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SlothfulCobra posted:

But on top of that, they have another big thing associated with fascists and other excessively authoritarian groups: That authority comes at a cost. They are incompetent. They are arrogant. They are disfunctional. That is what comes from iron-fisted top-down leadership like that. They burn through their resources at a faster rate. They lose valuable personnel in the process of making examples, and they go on crazy vanity projects that burn through even more.

this isn’t always true, Franco avoided this

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

P. Sure the only nonhuman rebel in anh is chewie.

I am pretty sure that was due to budget reasons. Yea you could fill the cantina with crazy monsters, but the makeup wasn't good enough to have them do anything but sit around and look weird. All that money and effort went into Chewie. Why you see some aliens doing more in Jedi.

Polaron posted:

There aren't even any visible minorities or women in the OT Empire, much less humans. The first movie came out 30 years after WWII, "these guys are Space Nazis" was pretty clear intent that everyone of the time would have understood without it needing to be explicit.

They've certainly added more POC into the Empire since Disney took over. Ray Sloan is a major character in the novels that kinda filled in the gaps between ROTJ and TFA and she is a black woman.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
They can make the Empire as ethnically and biologically diverse as they like

...as long as they have English accents. :colbert:
(Stormtroopers can be American)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

They've certainly added more POC into the Empire since Disney took over. Ray Sloan is a major character in the novels that kinda filled in the gaps between ROTJ and TFA and she is a black woman.

Ace pilot Ciena Ree is a black woman too.