Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

You don't even want to know what happens if you don't know the Dewey decimal system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You use LoC instead because DDS is for chumps and patrons, but I repeat myself.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Luuke.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hot take: Admiral Thrawn. Those books suck, Thrawn and his whole schtick sucks. The stupid anti-force lizards suck.

"ohohohohohoh, these italian pike squares had me baffled, but I just spent four hours studying the Mona Lisa and the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, now I've got them"

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Midichlorians, because they take the Force and change it from something purely spiritual into an X-Men power. I know, hot take, right? Midichlorians suck.

Except that the films never say this.

I just realized this yesterday, but the only real explanation that Episode 1 gives is this:

Qui-Gon Jinn posted:

Lifeforms living together for mutual advantage. Without the midichlorians, life could not exist and we would have no knowledge of the Force. They continually speak to us, telling us the will of the Force. When you learn to quiet your mind, you'll hear them speaking to you.

Now, putting aside that Qui-Gon is a mystic who doesn't mind a bit of metaphor, he never states directly that midichlorians cause somebody to be a Jedi. Just that Jedi have a very high midichlorian level and that they are directly linked to the Force.

I think that midichlorians are like the neurons that form when you practice a skill. They don't cause you to be Force-sensitive, but they are a sure sign that somebody is tapped in. So if a random boy in the desert has levels through the roof, that's a big thing. And the idea that midichlorians are Anakins father? That's just pure speculation, and could just as well mean that his mother was so talented but untrained in the Force that she accidentally created a miracle.

There is probably lots of poo poo in the EU that contradicts this, but I don't care. That stuff is mostly non-canon anyway, and that throwaway line in The Mandalorian doesn't contradict this.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Midichlorians, because they take the Force and change it from something purely spiritual into an X-Men power. I know, hot take, right? Midichlorians suck.

Except that the films never say this.

I just realized this yesterday, but the only real explanation that Episode 1 gives is this:

Now, putting aside that Qui-Gon is a mystic who doesn't mind a bit of metaphor, he never states directly that midichlorians cause somebody to be a Jedi. Just that Jedi have a very high midichlorian level and that they are directly linked to the Force.

I think that midichlorians are like the neurons that form when you practice a skill. They don't cause you to be Force-sensitive, but they are a sure sign that somebody is tapped in. So if a random boy in the desert has levels through the roof, that's a big thing. And the idea that midichlorians are Anakins father? That's just pure speculation, and could just as well mean that his mother was so talented but untrained in the Force that she accidentally created a miracle.

There is probably lots of poo poo in the EU that contradicts this, but I don't care. That stuff is mostly non-canon anyway, and that throwaway line in The Mandalorian doesn't contradict this.

But they're the powerhouse of the cell force!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Midichlorians became perfectly fine for me once someone contextualized that scene as a demonstration that the Jedi of the Prequel era are so spiritually lacking and materialistic that they chose to quantify their mystical connection to all things via Dragonball Z Scouter readings. Like they're looking their Messiah in the face and rather than trusting any sort of intuition, they have to run a blood test to say yep, he's the Chosen One alright, his number's big.

Jedi are idiots and nothing has ever shown otherwise.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Asterite34 posted:

Pretty sure they just ran the republic for 10'000 years or what not because somehow everyone else in the republic were even bigger idiot.

What ever galaxy it is there from far, far away, it's apparently full of idiots and we should probably avoid it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Breetai posted:

But they're the powerhouse of the cell force!

:pusheen:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hot take: Admiral Thrawn. Those books suck, Thrawn and his whole schtick sucks. The stupid anti-force lizards suck.

"ohohohohohoh, these italian pike squares had me baffled, but I just spent four hours studying the Mona Lisa and the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, now I've got them"

I like a lot of the ideas that went into writing Thrawn, although the actual way it ends up being written often feels pretty contrived. It makes sense to study the cultures you're dealing with to understand them better, isolated pieces of art are not the best way to do that. It makes sense to have the idea of a military leader out on the fringes of space who is more tactically-adept than the fascists closer to Palpatine, but it often comes off as contrived and ridiculous how "brilliant" he is depicted as in contrast to everybody around him. It's been a while since I actually read the Zahn books themselves, but Thrawn in Rebels is kinda annoying to me because his whole "strategy" for dealing with the Rebels only works because he's the only Imperial who isn't constrained by a ruthless superior officer.

The lizards whose names are hard to spell were also pretty contrived and probably a bit overboard for Thrawn to have gone through the work of harvesting since Luke was the only Jedi around, but it was the very beginning of the EU I guess.

Asterite34 posted:

Midichlorians became perfectly fine for me once someone contextualized that scene as a demonstration that the Jedi of the Prequel era are so spiritually lacking and materialistic that they chose to quantify their mystical connection to all things via Dragonball Z Scouter readings. Like they're looking their Messiah in the face and rather than trusting any sort of intuition, they have to run a blood test to say yep, he's the Chosen One alright, his number's big.

The Jedi in the prequels definitely were out of touch with their mystic side, and I think there might even be some broader point somewhere about how it's hard to maintain a mystic, spiritual connection to the force to be able to use it to do a bunch of stuff, but also stay materialistic enough to be able to interact with the immediate, surrounding physical world and mortal politics in a knowledgeable fashion, but not a lot of the franchise cares to touch on that in favor of just being no-strings attached space wizards.

DBZ scouters were also supposed to be stupid and useless because they were unreliable and earlier on in the show it seemed like they had the idea that you can't really just quantify fighting power and the readings they take fluctuate wildly. Over time the show really started to act more like power levels did matter as people started to obsess over not just training, but reaching the next level on top of whatever bullshit they were at. I think there were a lot of things in DBZ that were originally meant to be subversions but ended up just circling back to being true in the show's canon.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Asterite34 posted:

via Gillette razor readings.

ftfy

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SlothfulCobra posted:

The lizards whose names are hard to spell were also pretty contrived and probably a bit overboard for Thrawn to have gone through the work of harvesting since Luke was the only Jedi around, but it was the very beginning of the EU I guess.

Thrawn originally gets the Ysalamir to deal with C’baoth (Since he expected a Force user guarding Mount Tantiss) and stuff related to the Spaarti cloning process. IIRC, growing the clones in the Ysalamir force bubble prevented the madness that older clones like C’baoth had for Force reasons and allowed them to be grown in like 20 days instead of months or years (The entire plot of the original Thrawn trilogy takes place over like 7 months based on Leia’s pregnancy). Thrawn later uses them more when C’baoth proves even more unstable than expected, and their use against Luke IIRC came most as a result of that.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
yuuzhan vong books were tedious. I actually quit reading in the middle of one, which is something I usually don't do even if the series or book is terrible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

DBZ scouters were also supposed to be stupid and useless because they were unreliable and earlier on in the show it seemed like they had the idea that you can't really just quantify fighting power and the readings they take fluctuate wildly. Over time the show really started to act more like power levels did matter as people started to obsess over not just training, but reaching the next level on top of whatever bullshit they were at. I think there were a lot of things in DBZ that were originally meant to be subversions but ended up just circling back to being true in the show's canon.

Power levels are more something that the fandom and marketing latched onto for dumb reasons while Toriyama could not give a poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought even the very first arc of DBZ, at least the anime, was partially about how power levels are bs and Goku clowns on those scanner-wearing assholes with the power of Good Vibes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Power Levels map pretty well to Scoville Units so just, mentally replace "its over 9,000" with "he's ordering medium spicy!!!!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Power levels are more something that the fandom and marketing latched onto for dumb reasons while Toriyama could not give a poo poo.

It is a unit for quantifying strength from a fight man story so not a big surprise that fans became obsessed with knowing everyone's power levels relative to each other. But yeah it pretty quickly stops being actually mentioned in the story.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Power levels were a tool of Frieza's authoritarian hierachy and the heroes confounded them because they could do stuff like suppressing their power to move undetected/be underestimated.

Incidentally Namek (before the Frieza fight started dragging) was the best DBZ arc (besides driver's ed) because the heroes were outmatched and had to be sneaky and smart and there were multiple factions (earthlings, namekians, Frieza, Vegeta) and all sorts of deals and backstabs especially with Vegeta (but I digress)

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 13, 2022

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think fans like power levels because it gives them an "objective" way to compare characters against each other that isn't just "Goku is going to win because it's a narrative and he's the protagonist".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Moon Monster posted:

I think fans like power levels because it gives them an "objective" way to compare characters against each other that isn't just "Goku is going to win because it's a narrative and he's the protagonist".

It's amazing the hoops that nerds will jump through to avoid acknowledging this.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Mazerunner posted:

Incidentally Namek (before the Frieza fight started dragging) was the best DBZ arc (besides driver's ed) because the heroes were outmatched and had to be sneaky and smart and there were multiple factions (earthlings, namekians, Frieza, Vegeta) and all sorts of deals and backstabs especially with Vegeta (but I digress)

I'd argue that the Saiyan saga was better simply because Vegeta was legitimately stronger the whole time but loses because a series of weaklings progressively tag team owned him in a series of hilarious ways. The dude gets his tail but off by a joke character with a katana, gets sent into the stratosphere by Krillin bouncing a big blue ball back at him, gets smashed under Gohan's giant monkey monster rear end, and has to beg for his life from Krillin of all people. It's peak silliness and is the kind of wacky poo poo Toriyama loved when he was writing Dragonball.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'd argue that the Saiyan saga was better simply because Vegeta was legitimately stronger the whole time but loses because a series of weaklings progressively tag team owned him in a series of hilarious ways. The dude gets his tail but off by a joke character with a katana, gets sent into the stratosphere by Krillin bouncing a big blue ball back at him, gets smashed under Gohan's giant monkey monster rear end, and has to beg for his life from Krillin of all people. It's peak silliness and is the kind of wacky poo poo Toriyama loved when he was writing Dragonball.

He works real well there I think specifically because he's the big serious threat that they have to figure out how to deal with fast, and they pull out every stop, but things turn against him as it becomes clear that his high-and-mighty prince attitude makes him the perfect butt of the joke.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

No one other than Qui-gon ever mentioned midichlorians, and I like to think it was a fringe theory that he clung to and made Obi-wan care about.

The Jedi were still idiots, regardless.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Madurai posted:

No one other than Qui-gon ever mentioned midichlorians, and I like to think it was a fringe theory that he clung to and made Obi-wan care about.

The Jedi were still idiots, regardless.

Palpatine also mentioned them when he told Anakin that Darth Plagueis or whothefuckever knew how to magic babies into existence.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Presto posted:

Palpatine also mentioned them when he told Anakin that Darth Plagueis or whothefuckever knew how to magic babies into existence.

Given that Palpatine later is like "I am loving cackling over here that you believed that poo poo" its not inconceivable he says that specifically to target Anakin.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah, once you read the story of the OT as Luke choosing to reject religious orthodoxy in favor of pure "spirituality," the Jedi in the PT make a lot of sense. Yoda and Obi-Wan spend most of their time in ESB and ROTJ trying to convince Luke to kill Vader outright. Luke succeeds because he tosses that light side/dark side poo poo out the window and trusts the connection he has with Vader through the Force. Ob-Wan and Yoda are still stuck in the trappings of the prequel era, where the Jedi's beliefs have ossified around light=good, dark=bad and measuring power levels and Jedis have to start training at Jedi Day Care and all that. The fact that the main Jedi "temple" is a huge corporate headquarters in the middle of Space City full of statues of themselves underscores that.

Before Luke, the Jedi had completely bought into their own bullshit and Qui-Gon is the proof. Kenobi being chopped in half before he could fully indoctrinate Luke literally saved the galaxy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess the movies sort of support that reading, but honestly they tell Luke too little about the Jedi to really say they were trying to indoctrinate him. Obi-Wan just told Luke the broad strokes about the order and lied about his dad (plausibly he might've not really known if Vader was still active). Yoda complained that Luke was too old, but I think that was just him reaching for excuses to reject Luke because Yoda generally just lacked faith in Luke. Yoda didn't really trust in Luke to deal with the dark side. Yoda wanted Luke to give up on his friends because he couldn't take Vader in a fight (he was right) and might've suspected Luke's relation to Vader would be another weakness for Luke (he was wrong) and also if Luke abandoned his training, he would continued to be distracted by stuff and not get back to Dagobah until it was too late (right again), so Luke has to figure out the rest on his own. Luke did reject the advice of his masters by trying to turn Vader instead of kill him, but it doesn't seem like a broad rejection, just Luke coming into his own and making his own decisions now that he's spiritually awakened.

And I guess that reading is made weirder by the fact that Luke's depicted in the show and sequels as not really having achieved any further enlightenment and being a weird chump strictly sticking to rules that nobody taught him. I think the way the old EU did it made more sense, since then it seemed like Luke's problem may have been having too loose of a hand and just expecting kids to bounce back through the trauma and figure out their own enlightenment without careful guiding.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Yeah I was going to add that Disney absolutely did not see the original movies the same way I do, lol.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Asterite34 posted:

If I was looking my messiah in the face, I'd order a blood test too, if it's not at least 20 proof, it's not real Jesus blood

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Splint Chesthair posted:

Yeah I was going to add that Disney absolutely did not see the original movies the same way I do, lol.

Luke in the BoBF makes even less sense!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Luke in the BoBF makes even less sense!

Haven’t seen BoBF yet. But not surprised, goddammit.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

Obi-Wan just told Luke the broad strokes about the order and lied about his dad (plausibly he might've not really known if Vader was still active)

This is applying a bit of roundabout logic, but Obiwan knows what to call Vader when he sees him in ANH (but, you know, calls him darth like its his first name), implying that he must know this big armored dude and who he is. Unless you mean he thinks Vader might have retired in between ROTS and ANH? I suppose that's possible

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They've been promoting the Obi-Wan series by hinting at some big duel between him and Vader between 3 & 4, so maybe Obi-Wan will have a legitimate reason to think Vader's out of the picture until he runs into him again.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Robot Style posted:

some big duel between him and Vader between 3 & 4

that would be really stupid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

indigi posted:

that would be really stupid

Which is why its exactly what you're going to get

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They're going to have a bigass prequel style lightsaber fight with backflips and force powers galore and everyone will go "now THIS is how the original fight should have looked"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They're going to have a bigass prequel style lightsaber fight with backflips and force powers galore and everyone will go "now THIS is how the original fight should have looked"

I really don't want to poison my Youtube recommendations and look for it but some fan totally did that already. They redid the Obi Wan/Darth Vader duel from ANH with all the over the top choreography from the prequels. So you have them spinning around and force pushing each other constantly. It looks awful.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Robot Style posted:

They've been promoting the Obi-Wan series by hinting at some big duel between him and Vader between 3 & 4, so maybe Obi-Wan will have a legitimate reason to think Vader's out of the picture until he runs into him again.

Darth Vader: I sense something; a presence I've not felt since…

…only a couple of years ago actually

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

muscles like this! posted:

I really don't want to poison my Youtube recommendations and look for it but some fan totally did that already. They redid the Obi Wan/Darth Vader duel from ANH with all the over the top choreography from the prequels. So you have them spinning around and force pushing each other constantly. It looks awful.

It's called 'SC 38 Reimagined'. It has ONE good shot in it (the one with the lightsabers reflecting in Vader's mask)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Groke posted:

Also I recall a David Brin story where the Nazis manage to actually summon the Norse gods.

I want to see a story like this where the Nazis summon the Norse gods but the gods tell them "gently caress y'all, you suck". I can't imagine Odin is down with the whole book burning thing given what he went through to provide wisdom to humanity.