Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ten years ago your past self,
Prayed for your happiness.

love all the people who barely study the nightmare that is gravity and just assume "lol higher gravity means you'll grow stronger" instead of "YOU WILL DIE IN AGONY AS PHYSICS CRUSHES YOUR INTERNALS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Black August posted:

love all the people who barely study the nightmare that is gravity and just assume "lol higher gravity means you'll grow stronger" instead of "YOU WILL DIE IN AGONY AS PHYSICS CRUSHES YOUR INTERNALS"

There was actually an experiment run on raising chickens for 23 generations in a centrifuge to study the effects of a higher gravity environment.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la...ter1-story.html

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

Black August posted:

The damage the saiyan organs take consistently heals and makes them stronger when they train in high gravity, and the reverse happens in normal gravity, so their organs can withstand all pressures. duh

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ten years ago your past self,
Prayed for your happiness.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The damage the saiyan organs take consistently heals and makes them stronger when they train in high gravity, and the reverse happens in normal gravity, so their organs can withstand all pressures. duh

I wasn't talking about Saiyans, they're special and have an intimate relationship with gravitational forces like Jupiter, or a singularity

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world.

Black August posted:

to be clear, Gor is substantially dumber than even this

Gor's thing about gravity was that the humans of Gor have been living in a low-g environment for generations, and this has made them substantially more muscular than humans who have are adapted to 1G.

On the list of horrible inside Gor, this one doesn't actually rank high, which is probably why I remember it because it's more funny than gross or pathetic like the rest of the setting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The gravity was just yet another thing that Gor stole from Barsoom.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

How about the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds and the machines that come out of the ground from approximately a 50-80 feet depth in the middle of every metropolis with subways and sewer systems that I guess nobody noticed during building the entirety of civilization.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised

Actually was made canon that Saiyans didn't actually evolve on a high gravity planet, they destroyed their original homeworld (Sadala, of course) in a war and conquered the planet of the Tuffles (who actually ARE short and stocky as you'd expect heavyworlders to be) and renamed it Planet Vegeta.

Also reminded of a fun bit in the Buu Saga where one of Babidi's henchmen is from a high gravity world and turns the arena high gravity thinking it'll make Vegeta helpless, and is loving floored that Vegeta is just amused and says he actively goes out of his way to train in high gravity

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I can not remember the book, I want to guess it was one of Greg Bear's stupid books I didn't finish, but someone needed to send agents to another planet. So they shot an energy pulse towards the star, and when it hit the corona the energy and particles from the corona fell into a very specific pattern which eventually created a space ship with a human on board with all the memories they had before they got shot across the galaxy.

oh but seriously I
Sep 26, 2019

Do you ever wonder if there are other planets out there
(source)

CainFortea posted:

I can not remember the book, I want to guess it was one of Greg Bear's stupid books I didn't finish, but someone needed to send agents to another planet. So they shot an energy pulse towards the star, and when it hit the corona the energy and particles from the corona fell into a very specific pattern which eventually created a space ship with a human on board with all the memories they had before they got shot across the galaxy.

i find this concept moderately cool

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

oh but seriously I posted:

i find this concept moderately cool

It was explained as if it was like fast tracked planned evolution, and that by bumping these particles together in this exact pattern you end up with a space ship and person in the exact quantum state for information to be preserved.

I just can't see that ever being a thing no matter how advanced something becomes. Because that would mean that it could happen on it's own just randomly. Which is laughable.

oh but seriously I
Sep 26, 2019

Do you ever wonder if there are other planets out there
(source)

CainFortea posted:

It was explained as if it was like fast tracked planned evolution, and that by bumping these particles together in this exact pattern you end up with a space ship and person in the exact quantum state for information to be preserved.

I just can't see that ever being a thing no matter how advanced something becomes. Because that would mean that it could happen on it's own just randomly. Which is laughable.

Boltzmann Brains fancruft got published in actual physics journals. I'm not saying its not nonsense

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised

It's more like the fun kind of Star Trek deus ex machina that's so much more bullshit when you vaguely understand the science it just becomes funny.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more like the fun kind of Star Trek deus ex machina that's so much more bullshit when you vaguely understand the science it just becomes funny.

Like changing the frequency of your lasers to match the shield frequency so it will breach the shields and hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Teal'C gets some of the lowkey funniest lines even early on in SG1. Like there is an episode where ONeil casually mentions that Teal'C has watched Star Wars a few times and Teal'C deadpans, "600 times. I have watched it 600 times." Or very late in the series Claudia Black get impregnated by Space Gods and everyone is like, "A virgin birth?! You mean like..." and Teal'C interrupts, "Like Anakin Skywalker!" with a big smile on his face.

I miss Stargate, I know they did every trope in the book, but it just doesn't seem like anything good has replaced it.