Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

Saul Tigh being a cylon.

He was THE best character and a beautifully flawed human and they turn his rear end into a loving cylon.

Still pissed about it. :colbert:

It was a dumb as poo poo plot development but Michael Hogan sold the hell out of it and they made good use of it. (And Saul Tigh was the best drat character on a show full of great characters, before and after the reveal).

Though their biggest Cylon fuckup was teasing a 'dead' 13th Cylon musician and telegraphing hard that he was Starbuck's dad then not making him Starbuck's dad and being all "why would anyone think he was Starbuck's dad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Hearing the writers that Tricia Helfer got on her podcast stumble through excuses for Season 4 has been pretty entertaining. At least they're up front that they made up all the stuff about the other Cylon models like 2/3 of the way through Season 3.

I really need to listen to her podcast.

Ron Moore, at least, has always been open and upfront that while the Cylons may have had a plan the writers never did.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

blatman posted:

I just want to remind everyone that on stargate sg-1 like ten minutes after they get unsupervised access to a transporter they start beaming nukes onto enemy ships

best poo poo from sci-fi/fantasy right there

There was a book David Gerrold wrote about TOS years and years ago that I had as a kid (it was my dad's) that I really wish I still had hold of, and one of his arguments is that the transporter was a mistake, or at least a pain to write around, because you always needed to find ways to disable or negate it in order to have any tension whatsoever in a story where Kirk and company got captured. (Granted, not being able to transport through shields was a pretty good counter.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Midway through the third season of Star Trek TOS and...a couple of episodes were really good but my god do some of them live down to the season's general reputation.

"Spock's Brain" is probably the stupidest Star Trek has ever been (yes including that Voyager episode with the Warp 10 Iguana Sex) though it has a certain charm to it, unlike say, Elaan of Troyius which I needed like eight showers after watching.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Transporters are enabled by the Will of Landru and their sacred buffers are bolstered by His divine thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

That reminds me that I need to do a playthrough of Arcanum which at least tries to deal with that divide.

Arcanum is janky as hell and also fun as hell. I think there are a bunch of mods any more that reduce Column A a lot.