Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Well, there goes our grant money.

Yuuzhan Vong

Not necessarily dumb but completely unreasonable/undo-able at the time in scope, which was the dumb part. Depending on your view of Jodorowsky, the cancelled Dune could have been a psychedelic mess, or one of the best movies made. I like his movies but he's a kind of up his own rear end. He also has never read Dune. So take that as you will. It's very subjective.

The movie Armageddon

Independence Day

Pretty much all of Prometheus. Also even though I thought the movie Covenant overall was fine, David creating the xenomorphs was stupid I refuse to accept it as canon, also the tiny alien that wasn't a chest burster for some reason.

Oh and almost all of the aliens in Star Trek that looked almost human just with spirit gum here and there. But that is entirely forgivable seeing as it's a TV show with a budget, especially considering TOS.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

blatman posted:

what we need is a modern remake of zardoz

No, but I'm not opposed to it in any way. If that makes sense. But if they did they'd have to remake Barbarella.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I remember at the time reading all the concept stuff and thinking "Well, it's different in a way none of the other Star Wars poo poo has been for 20 years." Even at the time, the EU and Prequels had made the universe feel very, very stagnant. Clones, Palpatine reruns, everyone's a drat Jedi, the technology is completely locked-in, there's really no variety outside of dumber and dumber aliens.

So introducing a Lovecraftian WH40k race was conceptually not a bad move to really shake things up and see what was still Star Wars... but as we've seen that until you go too far, most fans will actively resist anything that changes up Star Wars too much... and the Yuuzhan Vong were definitely too much of a shake-up (and not that interesting besides; they have that shonen anime vibe where they're tailor-made as a response to the status quo).

Conceptually it was interesting, it was just executed poorly. I'm in favor for Star Wars getting weird, but having them be outside of the force, you know, the one thing that masks "Star Wars" Star Wars, wasn't the way to go about it (also why I think Lucas hated them). As someone who is a design nerd, one thing that irked me personally was they broke the visual language of Star Wars in the most bland way possible. They're extra-galactic, so of course they should look alien, and trying to design a species that is foreign to a foreign, fictional galaxy is tricky, but their design is so unoriginal it could have fit in anywhere; like you pointed out, 40k, or Magic: The Gathering. They just looked loving awful. The super edgy, generic-necromancer-goblin-horde aesthetic just doesn't groove with Star Wars. Having them bio-tech was a good choice, but they should've come up with a more original design.