Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Pick posted:

this book I had to read called.... uhhh... woa. what was that book called. Midnight Robber.

maybe it's not that bad but I hated it at the time, I think in part because it has a lot of father-daughter rape/molestation and pregnancy

I was listening to the audiobook for a book club and I was enjoying it right up until that point. Great accent by the narrator, interesting story and then bam. And I couldn't tell if the ending was supposed to be positive or ominous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Sun Crusher.

Ok, you've built starship with an invincible hull. Do you know what isn't invincible?

Everything that isn't the hull, including the pilot.

It isn't even particularly maneuverable, just ram it with something big, fast, and with enough mass to survive the impact. Like a Star Destroyer. Or, better yet? Play it safe. Park an interdictor on the edge of the star system outside of Supernova radius and just evade it until it runs out of fuel. What's the Sun Crusher going to do against a capitol ship? Nothing. Just trap it in a gravity well, it can only carry so much space gasoline.

Pity the keen tactical mind of Admiral "Retconned to have Brain Damage" Daala didn't think to try any of that. She was too busy ramming her Star Destroyers into things that weren't the Sun Crusher (like black holes, each other, and planets). :v:

Pretty much the first thing they did with the sun crusher after stealing it was kill a star destroyer by ramming it and flying right through

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I think it's a requirement to be elected president of the galaxy

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Trollologist posted:

Isn't FATE that TTRPG where there are roll tables to stab women in the vagina and then abort the baby at the same time?

That's FATAL

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

CainFortea posted:

The scariest possible enemies were the librarians

That's true in real life too

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Madurai posted:

Since Star Wars is reflecting the Golden Age SF of the 40s and 50s, it's fully in character to have breakbulk cargo be their model. All the cargo containers that have wormed their way into the production design are the real interlopers here. With droids to be the stevedores, it's another example of "how to use futuristic-looking technology as inefficiently as possible" which is a core SW theme goal.

They even made the stevedores surly, just like people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Geonosians designed the death star and they have wings, why would they need railings?