Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

Pillbug

Nckdictator posted:

That time Lucasfilm almost published a crossover between Star Wars, American Graffiti, and THX-1138 blended into the book of Exodus.

https://www.sfwriter.com/alienout.htm

Jax Hobo

Anyway it is known that Lucas at one point played with the idea that American Graffiti, Apocalypse Now and Star Wars were a kind of trilogy about America during the Vietnam war.

Sounds weird, but check out the hosed up epilogue for the characters at the end of American Graffiti. These movies were all worked on simultaneously until Lucas got too busy with Star Wars and Coppola took over Apocalypse Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

Pillbug

Cobalt-60 posted:

And Highlander 2, which I have never watched, but have heard people denigrate on multiple occasions.

Highlander 2 is an insane movie, which makes similar baffling choices as the Super Mario Bros. movie, that makes you go "huh? what? but why?" until you go "yeah sure whatever" and I for one appreciate that someone gave these deluded brains millions of dollars to make something truly awful.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

Pillbug

blatman posted:

I just want to remind everyone that on stargate sg-1 like ten minutes after they get unsupervised access to a transporter they start beaming nukes onto enemy ships

best poo poo from sci-fi/fantasy right there

They do that like twice then it's exploding bridge consoles all the way down.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

Pillbug

frogge posted:

It's one of those things I shouldn't think too hard about but in any fantasy setting where in the lore everything's just sort of gridlocked into an iron age or medieval era, or whatever for supposedly thousands of years and no tech or innovations occurred in that time.

Some Roman guy tinkered and built early, rudimentary steam engines but their society still chose to keep going with slave labor instead because of the 'prestige' of it, so inventing tech and using it is a whole other thing, but it really breaks my suspension of disbelief when it happens in a fantasy setting.

Stagnation or very slow progress seems a lot more common in history than the rapid technological change over the last 200 years or so, and it seems social changes spur technological change rather than the other way around. For instance, the bronze age didn't end with the invention of iron. Instead it was the end of the bronze age and the breakdown of its intricate trade networks needed for bronze production (tin and copper were mined at widely separated geographic locations) that made it necessary to switch to iron and come up with better ways to work iron. Currently we live in a society that requires increased production basically for its own sake, which has never existed before.