Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Why did they cast a man with a strong Scottish accent to play someone called "the spaniard" ??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

Yeah I was going to add that Disney absolutely did not see the original movies the same way I do, lol.

Luke in the BoBF makes even less sense!

Nov 6, 2002

How dare you disparage Maximum Overdrive.

Nov 6, 2002

Most designers in the SW universe are very dumb. Just look at the lack of basic safety features like railings.

Nov 6, 2002

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Marvel vs Predator

Omg I just came.

Nov 6, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

There's a Harry Turtledove short story about these humans who settle on a planet where the aliens just gently caress, and gently caress a lot. There's also tons of insects around. The POV character is a woman who lives in some super religious community (its implied in the story that they were very much not wanted anywhere so they had to settle there because everyone was sick of their god bullshit) and she is horrified by the aliens constant loving. There are also bugs everywhere and she convinces the local science team to do something about the insects, so they kill them off with an insecticide but uh oh, the insects were actually what let the aliens breed! loving was just fun for them, it was the symbiotic relationship with the insects that actually made the aliens produced more aliens! So this woman ends up being conflicted that the nasty, godless horny aliens are going extinct because she was sick of bugs eating her garden, but she also is horrified that the aliens are all going to die off due to her own selfish needs. her husband is glad because that means more humans can live on this planet and maybe he can force more to accept his extremely narrow version of christianity.

Sounds like a ham fisted, barely veiled reference to the Pilgrims and native Americans.

Nov 6, 2002

I never saw Firefly on TV. But I did see the movie, and vaguely recall it being boring and unremarkable.

That's my story.

Nov 6, 2002

Everybody in modern trek has some tragic backstory full of trauma that they haven't got over yet.

Nov 6, 2002

I think good Trek is just really hard to make cause it has to perfectly capture the zeitgeist of it's era in order to be relevant while still being true to what makes it Trek to begin with: optimism and hope. And that is a really fine line.

Nov 6, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

It's also because Trek hit the impossible problem of not being able to have predicted the upsurge in telecommunications, internet, and storage archiving and they kind-of backed themselves into a corner with the Replicators, Transporters, and Holodeck. It's hard to really go anywhere from that conceptually without just turning the Federation into The Culture. Plus some dirty narrative facts-- older Trek wasn't shy about being aspirational figures for children (ok mostly boys, granted) where you'd look at Riker, Spock, even Dax or Tom Paris and think "I'd want to be them" but some time during VOY and ENT they just dropped that. Plus-plus a lot of the very best Star Trek doesn't have its roots in opera, but in stageplays as a matter of necessity before CGI, and the rise of that has made it easier to just run with dumb ideas instead of being forced to really access the drama/melodrama of the plot and force the actors to really play with each other.

No child ever wanted to be Tom Paris.

Nov 6, 2002

Just give me a Star Trek show that has zero to do with Star Fleet or the Federation political apparatus.

Nov 6, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

Federation ship

Naw

Nov 6, 2002

Fivemarks posted:

So you want a Star Trek Show that isn't about Star Trek.

Of all the things that exist in a galaxy the only things interesting take place on a starship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

A great premise would be following a newly colonized planet and all the poo poo they go through to try and survive.

And guess what? No Star Fleet!