Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Jim Long-un posted:

the hawaiian pizza thing is so social media brainworms, it's something completely irrelevant that some people are driven to have extremely strong opinions about because there's almost nothing else inside. it's performative posting, but that's also their identity. they are their consumer preferences, and an empty thirst for likes. imagine being a guy that sees a hawaiian pizza post and wades into that bullshit like my dude get a loving hobby. go outside. go to the window, open it, stick your head out and yell I'M AS M

basically this

People had strong opinions about Hawaiian pizza before though, I remember it being in movies and tv shows in the pre internet days. I think it’s just one of the polarizing things that tastes weird to some people, like cilantro. I remember there being a lot of debate about anchovies on pizza too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

My kid saw Oscar the Grouch eat a banana pizza years ago and we tried it and now my wife and kid love banana on pizza (I'm indifferent to it, I like more traditional toppings). It gets super carmelized, so it ends up sweet and savoury. I think that's the appeal of Hawaiian as well (which he also likes).

Food is food

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Starks posted:

People had strong opinions about Hawaiian pizza before though, I remember it being in movies and tv shows in the pre internet days. I think it’s just one of the polarizing things that tastes weird to some people, like cilantro. I remember there being a lot of debate about anchovies on pizza too.

The difference with cilantro is, beyond there being a genetic component to the dislike of it, no one runs in and tells you about how you're NOT ALLOWED to like cilantro. It's usually just something along the lines of "oh man, I don't get cilantro, it tastes like soap to me".

People definitely had strong oppinions about anchovies though, but they're a super strong flavor. Again, I feel like with anchovies most people are like "ughh, I don't want to eat that" and not "you're a bad person if you eat anchovies." There's just something about Hawaiian pizza that attracts attention whores.

Sega 32X posted:

My kid saw Oscar the Grouch eat a banana pizza years ago and we tried it and now my wife and kid love banana on pizza (I'm indifferent to it, I like more traditional toppings). It gets super carmelized, so it ends up sweet and savoury. I think that's the appeal of Hawaiian as well (which he also likes).

Food is food

I could actually see fried plantains working reasonably well as a pizza topping. Might have to try this sometime soon. Maybe alongside some arugula, goat cheese, and a drizzle of balsamic. Not with a red sauce mind you.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How can anyone find the time or energy to give a poo poo what someone else is eating? Yeah, if you insist on me eating your rhubarb-topped pizza with Vegemite and frogs' legs, I'll put up quite an argument against it. If you want to eat that, knock yourself out. I'll fetch you a well-done steak and ketchup to go with it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's the same with beans in chili, some people will spaz the gently caress out over it.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Sunswipe posted:

How can anyone find the time or energy to give a poo poo what someone else is eating? Yeah, if you insist on me eating your rhubarb-topped pizza with Vegemite and frogs' legs, I'll put up quite an argument against it. If you want to eat that, knock yourself out. I'll fetch you a well-done steak and ketchup to go with it.

I don't personally care what anyone eats, but I do think it says something about people that never grew beyond the phase where they will only eat chicken fingers and mac and cheese. People should feel free to eat whatever they want, but just know that if you're not adventurous enough to even try new foods, you're probably being judged. I'm not taking about super weird poo poo either, the girl I dated that I mentioned wouldn't go to this Mediterranean place despite never having tried their food, simply because she didn't think she would like it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the elves are always like "buh, duh, lembas bread, it's delicious," but it's loving not. it tastes like hardtack and a communion wafer hosed in the desert. it tastes like the platonic opposite of a Pop-Tart. it tastes like pizza, if the word "pizza" meant "plaster, but with just a soupçon of lath."

meanwhile, I don't even speak elvish and I know it's a loving pleonasm. learn your own language, idiots

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

EorayMel posted:

I'm now suddenly much more thankful that my overall soda consumption was at best a fraction of what yours was and that I almost exclusive drink water nowadays unless I'm having a specific meal or its a holiday or something.
Yeah, I've gone from "it's not sweet, I'm not going to drink" to drinking water, black coffee, and beer on the weekends (I only got into beer in the past 7 years).

What sucks is that the cravings for junk still pop up. Every few months, I'll go on a "I'm going to have a Coke Zero, bag of chips, and a candy bar" lunch and within an hour I regret it. The combo gives me a wicked headache that lasts for hours. On one hand, you'd think I'd change that rare habit up. On the other, I come out of thinking, "Yeah, i need it like this that to remind me..."

To keep on topic, I'm pretty much ok with any food these days (I eat mostly plant-based), but the one hump I've not been able to get over are cold pasta salads. If there really is nothing else, I can choke it down, but it's near the bottom of my preference list along with egg-salad.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Tell that to the guy who live-hosed McChicken sandwich on Twitter

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I will sit and eat an entire bag of raw spinach while watching something. All by itself, though I'd prefer it with hummus. It's so delicious!

Cook that spinach, into anything, and I'll pass on whatever it is. From crispy-crunchy delicious leaf to loving slime, just add heat.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Big Beef City posted:

unless you have a medical reason not to eat something you are a stupid, callous gently caress for being a picky eater and I hope you're hit by a god drat bus

thread I have a confession

it's my fault that there are starving children in africa

one time when I was nine my father cooked dinner because my mother was ill and instead of eating his favourite dish of scalding-hot slurry (made of every tinned vegetable or bean he could find emptied into the biggest pot in the house and simmered eternally into a bland mush, in a way that I would later suspect as an adult was symptomatic of a spectrum disorder), I just emptied my bowl into the bin and went to bed hungry, thereby disrupting the precise global balance of food being produced to food being eaten

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

son of a BITCH

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

A lot of pizza talk ITT and this just turned up in my youtube recommendations:

Watermelon Pizza

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Valko posted:

A lot of pizza talk ITT and this just turned up in my youtube recommendations:

Watermelon Pizza

They take like a whole goddamn minute to cut the watermelon in half.
They have a big rear end chef knife.

JUST CUT IT IN HALF ALREADY! CUT. THE. MELON.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

They take like a whole goddamn minute to cut the watermelon in half.
They have a big rear end chef knife.

JUST CUT IT IN HALF ALREADY! CUT. THE. MELON.

You know something, I think you are the last person I would want to be around if you had a big rear end kitchen knife.

naem
May 29, 2011

my sisters husbands parents, her in laws, host a weekly sunday brunch and expect all 4 of their sons, their spouses, and the grandkids to attend EVERY WEEK.

This isn’t christmas, this isn’t a special event, this is just, Sunday. EVERY Sunday.

They also expect anyone at all related who is in town to also attend, and get FURIOUSLY upset if you don’t. Like, red faced, trying to restrain themselves from assault level anger.

They also serve really bad food in tiny portions and have all these unwritten rules like:

-only one teaspoon of scrambled eggs per person. there are 15 people in this room and we cooked less than one egg per person so, literally a teaspoon.
-one teaspoon of refried beans out of the can that were microwaved two hours ago (everyone in this story is white fyi)
-you get two tortillas, you’re only allowed to put fillings in one
-salsa?? yeah it’s on the table but don’t, you know, have any, ok fine but not A WHOLE TEASPOON? They’ll literally gasp in shock. Might was well take a poo poo on the table.
-two very thin lozenges of a non-breakfast sausage. TWO!!
-Four (4) individual corn chips
-you can not be as tall as Old Dad, or have wider shoulders
-NO EYE CONTACT
-Old Dad and Wife get to Talk, attempts by others to converse are interrupted
-why are your shoulders so wide, stop, being a person there in your chair politely you, guy as tall as me you, who I invited
-Old Dad is the biggest man in the world

ok everyone, have your ration of food? is there food left no one is eating? Is it more food than was taken to eat? Ok good. No one gets that. That’s not eating food.

The HOST and HOSTESS now get coffee, there are two cups worth of coffee and we get it and don’t offer anyone else, because you are children. In your thirties. Children don’t get coffee. My mom? Their age? No coffee. Why would we offer anyone coffee. This is our house. We are the money people (they are not money people)

If you break any of these rules then ELDERLY DAD will literally growl at you with all the feeble rage that a 70 year old who still hasn’t inherited the million or two he’d hoped for yet can muster.

Offers to, go potluck style in the future or bring a starbucks coffee thing for everyone or acknowledge this weird food situation at all, any attempts to feed growing children sufficient amounts result in physical threats of violence and loss of future salsa rights

All their adult children and their wives seem resigned to their fate after a decade but i’ve refused to go after a few of these visits and literally said gently caress off to their face after being yelled at.

All four of the sons have weird food issues, one eats entire sheet cakes regularly and another only eats hamburgers but never finishes them and makes a show of being disinterested in the last third of each burger. One of them rearranges the furniture to the exact way it looked when he was a kid and glares at anyone getting in his way.

also my mom is about as well off as they are at this point I’m not sure where the self importance comes from

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

naem posted:

only eats hamburgers but never finishes them and makes a show of being disinterested in the last third of each burger

lol

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

naem posted:

All four of the sons have weird food issues, one eats entire sheet cakes regularly
Your brother-in-law is Tom Cotton?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I just don't want to eat slime. If you're serving something that includes slime as a feature please don't serve me.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

naem posted:

my sisters husbands parents, her in laws, host a weekly sunday brunch and expect all 4 of their sons, their spouses, and the grandkids to attend EVERY WEEK.

This isn’t christmas, this isn’t a special event, this is just, Sunday. EVERY Sunday.

They also expect anyone at all related who is in town to also attend, and get FURIOUSLY upset if you don’t. Like, red faced, trying to restrain themselves from assault level anger.

They also serve really bad food in tiny portions and have all these unwritten rules like:

-only one teaspoon of scrambled eggs per person. there are 15 people in this room and we cooked less than one egg per person so, literally a teaspoon.
-one teaspoon of refried beans out of the can that were microwaved two hours ago (everyone in this story is white fyi)
-salsa?? yeah it’s on the table but don’t, you know, have any, ok fine but not A WHOLE TEASPOON? They’ll literally gasp in shock. Might was well take a poo poo on the table.
-NO EYE CONTACT
-why are your shoulders so wide, stop, being a person there in your chair politely you, guy as tall as me you, who I invited

ok everyone, have your ration of food? is there food left no one is eating? Is it more food than was taken to eat? Ok good. No one gets that. That’s not eating food.

The HOST and HOSTESS now get coffee, there are two cups worth of coffee and we get it and don’t offer anyone else, because you are children. In your thirties. Children don’t get coffee. My mom? Their age? No coffee. Why would we offer anyone coffee. This is our house. We are the money people (they are not money people)

If you break any of these rules then ELDERLY DAD will literally growl at you with all the feeble rage that a 70 year old who still hasn’t inherited the million or two he’d hoped for yet can muster.

Offers to, go potluck style in the future or bring a starbucks coffee thing for everyone or acknowledge this weird food situation at all, any attempts to feed growing children sufficient amounts result in physical threats of violence and loss of future salsa rights

All their adult children and their wives seem resigned to their fate after a decade but i’ve refused to go after a few of these visits and literally said gently caress off to their face after being yelled at.

All four of the sons have weird food issues, one eats entire sheet cakes regularly and another only eats hamburgers but never finishes them and makes a show of being disinterested in the last third of each burger. One of them rearranges the furniture to the exact way it looked when he was a kid and glares at anyone getting in his way.

also my mom is about as well off as they are at this point I’m not sure where the self importance comes from

Why would you go to this lmao grow a pair and live your life

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

naem posted:

-NO EYE CONTACT

That escalated very quickly from "huh that's kind of sweet that they get the family together every week" to :stare:

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Starks posted:

That escalated very quickly from "huh that's kind of sweet that they get the family together every week" to :stare:
It belongs in the POWER MOVES thread we had a while back, tbh.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I grew up bleaching my vegetables and eating questionable meats from Bengali markets. I'll eat powdered or mashed insects (don't really like feeling the body parts in my mouth), I like spices of all kinds, and if I don't like a healthy food, I'll train myself to like it. Working on beets right now.

I do, however, get people angry at me for not liking beer. "You can't say you don't like beer! That's such a wide group!" I've tried Brit, German, Dutch, Indian, Thai and Chinese beers in those countries. Pale and dark. All sorts of flavors. Micro and major. I had a chef friend who also microbrewed. I lived in Portland and knew a bunch of beer hipsters. I have tried enough beer to say I don't like beer. Leave me to my girly drinks, godammit.

naem
May 29, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

Why would you go to this lmao grow a pair and live your life

I think someone in the room expected to inherit money, to my knowledge they have not

GaiaFag
Jun 20, 2007
KING OF THE FURRIES (AUTOPILOT ON BITCH)
I try to keep an open mind about eating any foods, but for some reason I HATE melon. ANY melon. Watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew? I just hate it. Also, I think raw onion tastes like rear end....like in a bad way.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Das Boo posted:

I grew up bleaching my vegetables and eating questionable meats from Bengali markets. I'll eat powdered or mashed insects (don't really like feeling the body parts in my mouth), I like spices of all kinds, and if I don't like a healthy food, I'll train myself to like it. Working on beets right now.

I do, however, get people angry at me for not liking beer. "You can't say you don't like beer! That's such a wide group!" I've tried Brit, German, Dutch, Indian, Thai and Chinese beers in those countries. Pale and dark. All sorts of flavors. Micro and major. I had a chef friend who also microbrewed. I lived in Portland and knew a bunch of beer hipsters. I have tried enough beer to say I don't like beer. Leave me to my girly drinks, godammit.

People getting into increasingly elaborate and/or abstract descriptions for beer such as the basic tried and true "piss" all the way up to "collapsed well water mixed with ginger ale filtered through a magic marker so you can fight telephone poles" is something I will never truly understand, but will also never cease to be amused by

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Confession. I don't like banana skins. Am I supposed to puree them or something? Broccoli tastes better pureed.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
My brother in law gets ANGRY if there is mayo on his food. He would rather have actual poop touch his food than mayo. It grosses him out more than anything in the world. No idea why

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

My brother in law gets ANGRY if there is mayo on his food. He would rather have actual poop touch his food than mayo. It grosses him out more than anything in the world. No idea why

Well op that's because mayo is even grosser than poop.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Big Beef City posted:

unless you have a medical reason not to eat something you are a stupid, callous gently caress for being a picky eater and I hope you're hit by a god drat bus

But I don't wanna eat the maggot cheese!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

christmas boots posted:

Eat it you loving baby!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Bus.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I had a friend who would get PISSED AS HELL if you took anything off of her plate like one french fry. I am totally understanding of being annoyed by that and I respect her decision for plate exclusivity, I guess I was just shocked at the level of emotion in her reaction. It was like I had just spit in her face or something. And we were best friends so we shared clothes, books, candy, movies, etc. ! Needless to say, I did not take food from her plate again. I miss her!

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I had a friend who would get PISSED AS HELL if you took anything off of her plate like one french fry. I am totally understanding of being annoyed by that and I respect her decision for plate exclusivity, I guess I was just shocked at the level of emotion in her reaction. It was like I had just spit in her face or something. And we were best friends so we shared clothes, books, candy, movies, etc. ! Needless to say, I did not take food from her plate again. I miss her!

probably a childhood thing. people loving with your food when you're a kid can lead to some weird attitudes around eating when you get older, and often people aren't even aware of them.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'll confess to being very difficult when it comes to restaurants that make you do all the work. I'm looking at you Mongolian Grill, hot pot, and any other restaurant where I can't just point to something and say "I want that" :argh:

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
Such is life. Food is what brings us together, and food is what tears us apart. And then we have to come
together and eat more food to fix what has been torn apart. A vicious cycle. Oh well. What’s for dinner?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pineapple's not for pizza, it's for cakes. Also, the pineapple that comes on pizza tends to be the most rubbery, stale garbage pineapple.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

super sweet best pal posted:

Pineapple's not for pizza, it's for cakes. Also, the pineapple that comes on pizza tends to be the most rubbery, stale garbage pineapple.

Pizza is merely a savory cake (technically a pie, but they're the same thing genetically)

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
listen, all i said was that hot water makes me vomit. you didn't have to go start a thread about it.

also bread makes me hiccup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGIMd3_LfY